- Automotive Technology
- Computer Science & Software
- Electrical Engineering & Electronics
- Internet & E-Commerce
- Mechanical Engineering
- Pharmaceuticals & Pharmaceutical Formulation
- Polymer & Materials Science
- Semiconductor Devices & Processing Methods
- Due Diligence in IP Acquisitions
- IP Transactional
- Patent Landscaping and Risk Analysis
- Post Grant Practice
- Strategic IP Portfolio Development and Management
- U.S Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, 2001
- U.S Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, 2001
- U.S. District Court, District of Connecticut, 2000
- U.S Patent and Trademark Office, 2000
- U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts, 1997
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 1997
- State of Connecticut, 1997
Western New England School of Law, J.D., 1997
Northeastern University, B.S., Mechanical Engineering, 1993
- Pi Tau Sigma
- International Mechanical Engineering Honor Society
- Adjunct Professor, University of Connecticut School of Law
Charlie O'Brien is the Chair of Cantor Colburn’s intellectual property (IP) Transactional Group. He concentrates his transactional practice on the exploitation, transfer and licensing of technology. Charlie has extensive experience in all aspects of complex IP licensing, including the preparation and negotiation of patent license agreements, software license agreements, joint development agreements, trademark license agreements, material transfer agreements, joint marketing and promotion agreements, and the like. Charlie is also a member of Cantor Colburn’s Litigation Department and has extensive experience in litigating IP related actions, including patent infringement actions and contractual disputes regarding IP rights. These skills provide him with useful and sometimes critical insight for his clients into issues and conflicts that can arise in IP transactional matters. This allows him to address these potential issues and conflicts early on at the transactional stage.
Partner, Cantor Colburn LLP, 2006-present
Associate, Cantor Colburn LLP, 1999-2006
Associate, Pelligrini, Seeley, Ryan and Blakesley, Springfield, MA, 1997-1999
Law Clerk, Pelligrini, Seeley, Ryan and Blakesley, Springfield, MA, 1995-1997
- November 17, 2016
Cantor Colburn is the founding sponsor of the Innovation Summit, now in its tenth year.
- Law360June 23, 2015
On Monday, June 22, 2015, the U.S. Supreme Court issued a ruling in Kimble v. Marvel Enterprises that leaves intact a 50-year-old rule barring royalty agreements that continue after a patent expires. Cantor Colburn partner Charles O'Brien is among the experts who comment in IP Law360.
- The Hartford CourantMay 2014
Cantor Colburn’s Charles O’Brien, a partner at the intellectual property law firm, was quoted in a recent Hartford Courant news article about “patent trolls.”
- Connecticut Law TribuneMay 2014
Cantor Colburn was named Litigation Department of the Year in the Intellectual Property category by the Connecticut Law Tribune.
Cantor Colburn’s litigators have decades of trial experience, presenting technically complex matters to judges and juries, and work collaboratively with their patent colleagues who are highly educated and expert in a wide variety of technologies. The Law Tribune described Cantor Colburn as “a law firm… and a haven for scientists.”
- Connecticut Law TribuneMarch 24, 2014
The Connecticut Invention Convention honored Cantor Colburn partner Charles O'Brien as he stepped down from its board of directors after four years as a member.
- Corporate CounselOctober 2013
Cantor Colburn was nationally ranked for patent litigation by Corporate Counsel magazine in its October 2013 issue. Cantor Colburn’s dedicated team of litigation attorneys have decades of experience in presenting technically complex matters for trial in front of judges and juries. A partner participates in every facet of the case, bringing results that count for the client. And at each phase of the litigation, Cantor Colburn seeks practical strategies to achieve a prompt, efficient resolution of the dispute.
- The Connecticut Law Tribune, Vol. 37, No. 16April 18, 2011
- May 22, 2018New Britain, Connecticut
- March 23, 2018New York City
Cantor Colburn is proud to sponsor the New York Intellectual Property Law Association's 96th Annual Dinner in Honor of the Federal Judiciary on March 23, 2018. The firm is a longtime sponsor of the Judges' Dinner.
- March 14, 2018East Hartford, Connecticut
- January 31, 2018New Haven, Connecticut
The Connecticut Intellectual Property Law Association (CIPLA) presents the workshop, “How IP Motivates Investors and Helps Price Drugs” on Wednesday, January 31, 2018 at the Graduate Club in New Haven, which includes a pre-event workshop for investors, entrepreneurs and attorneys.
- January 9, 2018Hartford, Connecticut
Hartford Mayor Luke Bronin will speak at the MetroHartford Alliance Rising Star Breakfast on January 9 in Hartford.
- November 14, 2017UConn Farmington, Farmington, Connecticut
CURE, BioscienceClubhouseCT, and the UConn Technology Incubation Program present "Lessons in Herding Cats: Strategic Opportunities for Life Science Companies" on November 14 at the Grossman Auditorium, Cell & Genome Sciences Building at UConn Farmington.
- June 20, 2017
Charlie O'Brien presented a webinar on Artifex Software, Inc. v. Hancom, Inc. to the Intellectual Property Owners Association's Open Source Committee.
- April 22, 2017Hartford, Connecticut
- March 31, 2017New York, New York
- November 17, 2016Hartford, Connecticut
The Innovation Summit is the largest networking event for Launch, Growth and Proven companies, featuring workshops, Lunch with an Angel, Company Showcase, and more! Perfect for entrepreneurs, businesses, venture capitalists, angel investors, and members of the public. Cantor Colburn is the founding sponsor of this event.
- October 23, 2016Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
- November 10, 2015Hartford, Connecticut
Cantor Colburn is proud to sponsor the Innovation Summit, presented by the Connecticut Technology Council.
- Webinar: What’s the Deal? What In-House Counsel Need to Know About Intellectual Property TransactionsAugust 19, 2015
- July 28, 2015Fairfield University, Fairfield, Connecticut
Mr. O'Brien chairs the firm's IP Transactional Practice Group and concentrates his transactional practice on the exploitation, transfer and licensing of technology, and IP rights through various IP related transactions. He has extensive experience in all aspects of complex IP licensing.
- Protecting Your Client’s Intellectual Property; Due Diligence and Post-Closing Best PracticesNovember 3, 2010presented at the Central Connecticut Paralegal Association CLE Seminar, Glastonbury, Connecticut
- Guest Speaker, Connecticut Optics and Photonics Association, 2007
American Bar Association
Connecticut Bar Association
Federal Circuit Bar Association
Intellectual Property Owners Association (IPO)
- Licensing Committee
- Case Law Subcommittee
Licensing Executives Society
Board of Directors, Connecticut Invention Convention