- Pharmaceuticals & Pharmaceutical Formulation
- Academic Scholarship Awards for Quinnipiac University School of Law for three academic years
- Academic Tuition and Stipend Scholarship Awards, July 2007-November 2009
- Academic invitation to present research, with travel award, for 25th International Papillomavirus Conferences, Malmo, Sweden, May 2009
- Academic invitation to present research, with travel award, for 24th International Papillomavirus Conferences, Beijing, China, November 2007
- Academic Tuition and Stipend Scholarship Awards, July 2003-May 2007
- Academic invitation to present research, with travel award, for 22nd International Papillomavirus Conference, Vancouver, Canada, April-May 2005
- Connecticut Bar, 2013
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 2013
Quinnipiac University School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 2013
Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, Ph.D., Philosophy, Microbiology, 2009
Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, M.S., Science, Microbiology, 2007
State University of New York at Geneseo, B.S. Biology 2003
- Teaching Assistant: Eukaryotic Pathogenesis (graduate school) and Dental Virology (dental school)
- Teaching Assistant: Medical Microbiology and Medical Immunology (medical school)
Nicholas Herrel concentrates his practice in domestic and foreign patent preparation, prosecution, and counseling in the life science and chemical arts. Nick regularly prepares freedom-to-operate and patentability searches, analysis, and opinions, as well as drafts patent applications and prosecute domestic and foreign patent applications. Prior to his outside counsel experience, he was in-house Patent Counsel at a Fortune 100 global technology company.
Prior to the start of Nick’s legal career, he performed biomedical research for over 7 years, where he focused on viral and cancer biology. During his scientific career, he has examined viral tropism, performed epidemiological studies examining microbial infections and cancer, and taught undergraduate, graduate, and medical students in numerous areas, including virology, bacteriology, immunology, parasitology, chemistry, biochemistry, and advanced cell biology, and laboratory theory and techniques.
Associate, Cantor Colburn LLP, 2018-present
Associate, Locke Lord LLP, 2015-2018
Patent Counsel, General Electric Patent Asset Development Center of Excellence (PAD CoE), 2013-2015
Patent Intern, General Electric Patent Asset Development Center of Excellence (PAD CoE), 2012-2013
New Haven Superior Court T.A.C., Connecticut Judiciary Branch, 2013
Ph.D., Microbiology, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, 2009 Dissertation: The role of Epstein-Barr Virus on HPV-dependent cervical dysplasia in HIV-positive females
L.A. Dwarica and Nicholas R. Herre!, Federal Preemption of Drugs and Devices-Consequences for Injured Patients?, The Health Lawyer, accepted for publication Aug. 2012.
Nicholas R. Herre!, N. Johnson, J.E. Cameron, C. Cheeks, J. Leigh, and M.E. Hagensee, Development and Validation of a HPV-32 Specific PCR Assay, Virology Journal, Jun. 27; 2009.
E.F. Dunne, C.M. Nielson, M.E. Hagensee, M.R. Papenfuss, R.B. Harris, Nicholas R. Herre!, J. Gourlie, M. Abrahamsen, L.E. Markowitz, and A.R. Giuliano, HPV16/11, 16, 18 Seroprevalence in Men in Two US Cities, Sexually Transmitted Diseases, Nov. 2009.
- August 6, 2018
Cantor Colburn LLP has expanded its Life Sciences Practice Group with the addition of Nicholas Herrel, Ph.D. as an associate in the firm’s Hartford headquarters office. Dr. Herrel joins the firm from Locke Lord LLP, where he worked with Bryan Zerhusen, Ph.D., who recently joined Cantor Colburn as Chair of the Life Sciences Practice Group.
- October 18, 2018Bushnell Park, Hartford, Connecticut
Cantor Colburn is sponsoring the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society’s (LLS) Hartford Light The Night Walk and biotech associate Nicholas Herrel, Ph.D., Esq. is the event chairperson. The event takes place at Bushnell Park on Thursday, October 18, from 5-8 in the evening. Team Cantor Colburn and many other corporate and community teams will come together as a community to honor survivors, raise awareness of blood cancers, and remember those who have lost their battle.
American Bar Association
Intellectual Property Owners Association (IPO)
Connecticut Bar Association
Connecticut Westchester Hudson Valley Chapter of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, Board Member
Hartford Leukemia and Lymphoma Society 2018 Light the Night Walk, Corporate Chair
Southern Connecticut Science and Engineering Fair, Judge, 2014 and 2017 CT