Cantor Colburn is the #4 U.S. law firm for the most U.S. utility patents obtained in 2021, obtaining 3,652 utility patents in a wide range of technologies and tops the rankings across many and varied technology centers. Within technology centers, the Firm is #1 for mechanical engineering, #1 for transportation, construction, and agriculture, #4 for computer architecture, software, and information security, #4 for chemicals and materials, and #7 for semiconductors.
A full-service intellectual property law firm for more than 50 years, Cantor Colburn is today among the largest intellectual property (IP) firms in the U.S. We are dedicated to helping a diverse group of technology-based clients optimize their IP assets. It is through our uncommon combination of technical, scientific, business, and legal experience that we are able to help our clients achieve their IP objectives – and succeed in today’s competitive marketplace.
Our capabilities and experience have not gone unnoticed. Recent third-party recognition includes:
- Fastest Growing U.S. Patent Firm
- #4 Utility Patent Law Firm
- #4 Design Patent Law Firm
- #6 Trademark Law Firm
- #2 Best Alice Allowance Rate, High-Volume Firms
- #10 Best Alice Overcome Rate, High-Volume Firms
- #1 Law Firm for Handling Mayo/Myriad Rejections
- #6 Most Active Law Firm in High-Tech
- #8 Most Active Law Firm Overall
- Top 10 Award-Winning U.S. Law Firm
- Top Patent Firm by Tech Center
- US News and World Report's Best Law Firm
- US News and World Report's Best Lawyers
- Top 10 Patent Law Firms, Most Well-Respected Law Firm 2021, The Patent Lawyer Magazine
- Top 10 Trademark Law Firms, Most Well-Respected Law Firm 2021, The Trademark Lawyer Magazine
- Nationally Ranked for Patent Litigation, Corporate Counsel
- The Legal 500 United States - Top Tier Firm 2021 - prosecution (including re-examination and post grant proceedings)
- IP Stars Top Tier Firm in Patents and Trademarks, Managing Intellectual Property
Our attorneys and agents are exceptionally experienced in all areas of IP law, including:
- Filing and Prosecution
- Strategic IP Portfolio Development and Management
- Trademarks and Copyrights
- Trade Secrets
- Transactional, Licensing, and Technology Transfer
- Design Patents
- Due Diligence in IP Acquisitions
- Post-Grant Practice
- Patent Landscaping and Risk Analysis
Our legal skills are supported by our considerable in-depth technical knowledge and experience. Most of our attorneys have undergraduate or graduate degrees in such fields as biochemistry, chemical engineering, mechanical engineering, microbiology, neuroscience, electrical engineering, civil engineering, automotive and aeronautical engineering, computer science, and environmental engineering.
Our clients are leaders in cutting-edge, high-tech fields such as aerospace, automotive, biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, telecommunications, medical instrumentation, optics, software, and chemical engineering – and we understand what drives their businesses. They benefit from our first-hand experience gained from our partners that were formerly in-house attorneys at corporations that engaged in significant research and development.