- Martindale-Hubbell BV(T) Rated
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas, 2009
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, 2006
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, 2003
- U.S. District Court, District of Illinois, 2002
- U.S. District Court, District of Connecticut, 2000
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, 2000
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit, 1999
- U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts, 1995
- State of Connecticut, 1994
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 1993
- Law Clerk to the Justices of the Massachusetts Superior Court, 1993-1994
Western New England College School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 1993
Trinity College, Hartford, Connecticut, B.A., History, with Distinction, 1990
- Adjunct Professor, Western New England University School of Law, Trademark and Unfair Competition Law
Steve Coyle is a Partner and co-chairs the firm's Litigation Department. He is a trial lawyer with more than 20 years' experience in litigating and trying complex disputed matters, and he has specialized in patent and all varieties of intellectual property litigation for the past 15 years. Steve’s areas of focus include ANDA and Hatch-Waxman litigation, where he has represented the rights of generic drug manufacturers and helped them to bring products to market. He is also the Group Leader of Cantor Colburn’s Pharmaceutical Litigation Practice. Steve represents clients as both plaintiffs and defendants in a variety of other patent matters, involving such diverse technologies as software, cybersecurity, fiber optics, induction lighting, microwave circuit boards, robotic measurement equipment, media packaging, flexible gas piping, and telecommunications. Steve has substantial experience litigating trademark, copyright, and trade secret matters as well. He has tried and litigated patent and other intellectual property cases throughout the country, and he has represented clients in alternative dispute resolution forums such as arbitrations and mediations. Steve has also handled multiple appeals, including before the Federal Circuit. In all of his cases, Steve strives to develop and follow a pragmatic strategy that advances not only his clients’ short term litigation goals but also their long term business needs.
Steve has tried cases in state and federal courts since 1994. In addition to patent litigation, Steve has litigated trademark and trade dress cases, trade secret cases, copyright cases, non-compete disputes, licensing matters, and complex commercial disputes. He has handled cases in numerous courts throughout the country and has argued before the First and Federal Circuit Courts of Appeals.
Partner, Cantor Colburn, LLC, Hartford, CT, 2006-present
Associate, Cantor Colburn, LLC, Hartford, CT, 1999-2006
Litigation Associate, Doherty, Wallace, Pillsbury & Murphy, P.C., 1996-1999
Litigation Associate, Burns & Farrey, Worcester, MA, 1994-1996
Law Clerk to the Justices of the Massachusetts Superior Court, 1993-1994
- GSK Smith Kline Beecham v. Mutual Pharmaceutical, (ED PA). Represented defendant generic drug company in pharmaceutical patent litigation suit. Filed anti-trust and declaratory judgment counterclaims on behalf of client. Resulted in plaintiff’s voluntary dismissal of suit with prejudice and settlement in favor of client.
- Veto Pro Pac LLC v. Home Depot U.S.A., Inc. and Custom LeatherCraft, Manufacturing Co., Inc., (D. Conn.). Represented defendant Home Depot in patent infringement suit. Obtained favorable settlement with no financial compensation to plaintiff.
- Pfizer, Inc. v. Actavis Group hf., (D. Del.). Represented the generic drug manufacturer in litigation stemming from ANDA filing. Successfully negotiated a favorable settlement of the patent issues during discovery.
- OmegaFlex, Inc. v. Parker Hannifin Corporation, (D. MA). Represented plaintiff in patent infringement suit involving flexible metal piping technology. After two jury trials and an appeal to the Federal Circuit, judgment was entered in favor of our client, awarding injunctive relief as well as substantial damages.
- G&M Media Packaging v. Bruggemen & Desouter, et al., (ND OH). Represented client in media packaging industry in defense of claims of trade dress and design patent infringement. Partially prevailed on summary judgment motion and then negotiated favorable settlement short of trial.
- Warner Chilcott Laboratories, et al. v. Mutual Pharmaceutical Co., et al., (D. NJ). Represented generic pharmaceutical company in defense of ANDA patent suit. Negotiated favorable settlement.
- Tech Spray, L.P. v. Micro Care Corporation, (ED TX). Represented defendant in patent infringement suit involving critical, precision cleaning technology. Successfully implead third party defendant and negotiated favorable settlement.
- November 15, 2017
- Bloomberg BNAMay 24, 2017
Steve Coyle is quoted in the Bloomberg BNA article, "High Court’s Venue Ruling Limits Where Generic Drugmakers Can Be Sued," by Dana A. Elfin and John T. Aquino regarding the Supreme Court's ruling in TC Heartland LLC v. Kraft Food Brands LLC.
- IP Law360May 22, 2017
Steve Coyle is quoted in the IP Law360 article, "Attorneys React To Supreme Court Patent Venue Ruling" regarding the Supreme Court's ruling in TC Heartland LLC v. Kraft Food Brands LLC.
- January 11, 2016
IP Law 360 published an article on January 11, 2016 about the Federal Circuit's ruling on January 8, 2016 to uphold a New Jersey district court’s ruling in favor of Actavis Elizabeth LLC and other drugmakers finding that three of Purdue Pharmaceutical Products LP’s patents for the sleep aid Intermezzo are invalid because they were obvious. Cantor Colburn's litigators represent Dr. Reddy's in the matter.
- Law 360May 27, 2015
Litigation Partner Steven Coyle and other prominent attorneys comment in Law360 on the Supreme Court's May 26, 2015 ruling in Commil USA LLC v. Cisco Systems Inc. that a good faith belief that a patent is invalid is not a defense to induced infringement.
- The Connecticut Law TribuneApril 20, 2015
- Press ReleaseMarch 31, 2015
A federal judge invalidated three patents that Dr. Reddy’s and other generic companies were accused of infringing. Dr. Reddy’s was represented by members of Cantor Colburn’s pharmaceutical litigation team.
- Law360March 30, 2015
Dr. Reddy’s was represented by members of Cantor Colburn’s pharmaceutical litigation team.
- IP Law 360June 19, 2014
The U.S. Supreme Court on June 19, 2014 ruled that computerized abstract ideas are not patent eligible. Cantor Colburn partner Steve Coyle and other litigators tell Law360 why the decision in Alice Corp. Pty Ltd. v. CLS Bank International is significant.
- Cantor Colburn partner quoted in IP Law 360 article, "Lawyers Weigh in on Supreme Court's Lexmark Ruling"IP Law 360March 26, 2014
Cantor Colburn litigation partner Steven Coyle's comments were part of the March 26, 2014 IP Law 360 article, "Lawyers Weigh in on Supreme Court's Lexmark Ruling."
- Corporate CounselOctober 2013
Cantor Colburn was nationally ranked for patent litigation by Corporate Counsel magazine in its October 2013 issue. Cantor Colburn’s dedicated team of litigation attorneys have decades of experience in presenting technically complex matters for trial in front of judges and juries. A partner participates in every facet of the case, bringing results that count for the client. And at each phase of the litigation, Cantor Colburn seeks practical strategies to achieve a prompt, efficient resolution of the dispute.
- Law 360, Portfolio MediaJune 17, 2013
Steve Coyle, Pharmaceutical Litigation Practice Group Leader, commented for Law 360 on the Supreme Court's June 17, 2013 ruling that name drugmakers can be sued for paying generic drug manufacturers to delay the release of low-cost versions of blockbuster medicines, overturning an Eleventh Circuit finding that the agreements were generally legal.
- IP Law 360October 12, 2011
- Corporate Counsel magazineOctober 3, 2011
- IP Law 360July 18, 2011
- Connecticut Law TribuneMay 9, 2011
- The Connecticut Law TribuneJanuary 3, 2011
- IP Law 360July 7, 2010
- The Hartford Business JournalApril 5, 2010
- Legal Technology, Law.comOctober 14, 2009
- April 23, 2018New York City
- March 7, 2018Mumbai, India
Cantor Colburn is pleased to sponsor the 7th Annual Pharma IPR Conference in Mumbai, India, on March 7-9. 2018. Cantor Colburn's Pharmaceutical IP Services Practice Group handles litigation, patent prosecution, inter partes reviews and other Patent Office review proceedings, opinions, landscapes, competitive intelligence, transactional services, portfolio management, biosimilar and interchangeable biological drugs, and more. Steve Coyle, who leads the Pharmaceutical Litigation Group, will speak on "ANDA filling and litigation: strategies to respond."
- April 24, 2017New York, New York
Cantor Colburn litigation partner Steve Coyle moderated the panel "The Ongoing Jurisdiction Debate: From Mylan to TC Heartland" at the Paragraph IV Disputes Conference in New York City, which the firm also sponsored. Cantor Colburn has a dedicated Pharmaceutical IP Services Practice Group comprised of experienced litigators, Ph.D. chemists, and patent attorneys.
- April 27, 2015New York, New York
- April 28, 2014New York, New York
- Two-Days International Symposium On Strategies for Managing Pharmaceutical, Biotechnology & Chemical Patent PortfoliosFebruary 5, 2014Ahmedabad, India
Cantor Colburn is sponsoring two intellectual property (IP) symposia in Mumbai and Ahmedabad, India on Strategies for Managing Pharma, Biotech & Chemical Patent Portfolios attended by research and development scientists and IP professionals from India, presented by the Institute of Intellectual Property Research & Development. Co-Managing Partner Michael Cantor and Pharmaceutical Litigation Practice Group Chair Steve Coyle will lead a team to make presentations on strategic generic pharmaceutical patent portfolio issues.
- Paragraph IV Disputes ConferenceMay 7, 2013New York, NY
- Strategies for Managing Pharmaceutical, Biotechnology & Chemical Patent Portfolios for Business Development and Licensing ProfessionalsMarch 6, 2013Mumbai, India
Presenters: Steven Coyle, Anne Maxwell, Ph.D., David Rodrigues, Ph.D.
- Strategies for Managing Pharmaceutical, Biotechnology & Chemical Patent Portfolios for R&D Scientists & IP ProfessionalsMarch 5, 2013Mumbai, India
Presenters: Steven Coyle, Anne Maxwell, Ph.D., David Rodrigues, Ph.D.
American Bar Association
- Member, Intellectual Property Section
- Member, Litigation Section
American Intellectual Property Lawyers Association
Connecticut Bar Association
Connecticut Intellectual Property Lawyers Association
Defense Research Institute
Hampden County Bar Association
Intellectual Property Owners Association, Litigation Group
Massachusetts Bar Association