- Chemical and Material Sciences Practice
- Life Sciences Practice
- Pharmaceutical Practice
- Pharmaceutical Litigation
- Pharmaceutical Patent Services
- Utility, Design, and Plant Patent Filing with the USPTO
- Foreign & PCT Patent Filing
- Product Clearance
- Expedited Patent Examination
- Patent Landscaping and Risk Analysis
- Strategic IP Portfolio Development and Management
- Design Patents Practice
- Non-infringement Opinions
- Invalidity Opinions
- Right to Practice Opinions
- Patentability Opinions
- Patent Litigation
- Trade Secret Litigation
- Post-Grant Review
- Inter Partes Review
- Ex Parte Reexaminations
- Patent Reissue
- Derivation Proceedings
- Technology Transfer
- Due Diligence in IP Acquisitions
- Trademarks and Trade Dress
- Pharmaceuticals & Pharmaceutical Formulation
- Chemical Engineering
- Polymer & Materials Science
- Food Science
- Environmental Engineering
- Metallurgy & Ceramics
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 2003
- Connecticut, 2005
Quinnipiac University School of Law, J.D., 2005
Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Ph.D. in Cell Physiology and Biophysics, 2000
Miami University, B.A. in Zoology, 1993
Bryan D. Zerhusen, Ph.D.
Bryan Zerhusen's practice spans all aspects of domestic and foreign patent preparation, prosecution, and counseling for innovators in the chemical and life science industries. Chair of the firm's Life Sciences Practice Group, Bryan’s clients include solo inventors, academic institutions, foreign law firms, venture firms, as well as companies ranging from start-ups to global corporations in the medical biotechnology, agricultural biotechnology, diagnostic, chemical, pharmaceutical, medical device and healthcare sectors.
In particular, Bryan routinely performs patent drafting and prosecution; counsels clients on strategic IP portfolio management; prepares patentability and freedom-to-operate searching, analysis and opinions; prosecutes patent reexaminations; conducts due diligence investigations; and provides IP litigation support. Bryan also has extensive experience negotiating and preparing agreements relevant to the life science industry, including collaborative agreements and IP licensing agreements on behalf of solo inventors, venture firms, start-ups and emerging companies.
Partner and Chair, Life Sciences Practice Group, Cantor Colburn LLP, 2018-present
Partner and Co-Chair, Life Sciences Practice Group, Locke Lord LLP, 2014-2018
Partner, McCarter & English, LLP, 2012-2014
Patent Attorney, McCarter & English, LLP, 2003-2012
Research Scientist, CuraGen Corporation, 2000-2003
- Procured domestic and international patent protection for a biopharmaceutical start-up company from inception through three fund raising rounds, multiple industry collaborations, public offering, and anticipated first IND filing.
- Performed a large-scale due diligence study of an innovative biotechnology company developing novel antibody-based therapeutics for a global venture firm in connection with a $40 MM investment round.
- Performed a large-scale due diligence study for a consortium of venture firms in connection with a $15 MM investment in a company developing novel strategies for developing small molecules that target proteins for degradation.
- Procured domestic and international patent protection for a biotechnology start-up company for an IND-ready protein therapeutic.
- Petitioned and prosecuted the Inter partes reexamination of three patents covering dietary supplement formulations for a client wishing to make and sell related products.
- Defended ex parte and inter partes reexaminations on behalf of a large pharmaceutical company for a drug formulation generating $100 MM/year in revenue.
- July 16, 2018
- December 10, 2019New Haven, CT
Todd Garabedian, Bryan Zerhusen, Leslie-Anne Maxwell, Nick Herrel, Vinay Thakur, Andrew Levitt and Sandra Shaner will attend BioCT's Annual Bioscience Holiday Celebration & Networking Party on December 10, 2019 in New Haven, Connecticut. BioCT is the bioscience industry voice for the state of Connecticut.
- December 6, 2019New Haven, Connecticut
- October 23, 2019The Jackson Laboratory for Genomic Medicine (Farmington, Connecticut)
Cantor Colburn is proud to sponsor The JAX Healthcare Forum presented by The Jackson Laboratory for Genomic Medicine on October 23-24, 2019, at the Jackson Laboratory's Farmington, Connecticut headquarters. The Forum will focus on emerging science and technology that will change the future of healthcare, and innovations in healthcare.
- September 19, 2019Branford, Connecticut
- June 3, 2019Philadelphia
The BIO International Convention 2019 is in Philadelphia on June 3-6, 2019. More than 16,000 biotechnology and pharma leaders will come together for intensive networking to discover new opportunities and partnerships among a wide spectrum of life science and application areas, including drug discovery, biomanufacturing, genomics, biofuels, nanotechnology and cell therapy.
- May 18, 2019Boston, Massachusetts
The 141st annual meeting of the International Trademark Association (INTA) will take place in Boston, Massachusetts from May 18-22, 2018. Nearly 10,000 intellectual property professionals from around the world will attend, including a large delegation from Cantor Colburn.
- February 10, 2019Austin, Texas
The Association of University Technology Managers (AUTM) will hold its Annual Meeting, February 10-13, 2019, in Austin, Texas. More than 1,700 technology transfer professionals from around the world participate in the AUTM Annual Meeting, which features networking, professional development and sessions to keep you up-to-date on trends in technology transfer. Cantor Colburn partners with many public and private university technology transfer offices to protect their IP.
- November 29, 2018Boston, Massachusetts
Intellectual Property Owners Association (IPO)
American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
Association of University Technology Managers (AUTM)
Boston Patent Law Association