- Food Science
- Medical Devices
- Metallurgy & Ceramics
- Pharmaceuticals & Pharmaceutical Formulation
- Polymer & Materials Science
- Additive Manufacturing
- Due Diligence in IP Acquisitions
- IP Transactional
- Patent Landscaping and Risk Analysis
- Pharmaceutical IP Services
- Post Grant Practice
- Strategic IP Portfolio Development and Management
- Top 250 Women in IP 2016, 2017, Managing Intellectual Property
- Fellows of the American Bar Foundation, Member
- Connecticut Bar Foundation - James W. Cooper Life Fellow
- Managing IP, IP Stars, Connecticut, USA, 2013-2017
- Women in the Law - High Achievers, Connecticut Law Tribune, 2009, 2010
- The Connecticut Technology Council Women of Innovation 2008 Finalist
- The Connecticut Bar Association Real Property Award
- The American Society of Composers, Authors, and Publishers for the paper “The Pre-Eminence of Economic Factors in the Fair Use Defense”
- State of Connecticut, 1995
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 1995
University of Connecticut School of Law, J.D., 1995
Stanford University, Ph.D., Organic Chemistry, 1988
Baylor University, B.S., Chemistry, with honors, 1983
- Adjunct Patent Law Professor, University of Connecticut School of Law, Advanced Patent Law, 2001- present
Leah M. Reimer, Ph.D.
Under Leah Reimer’s leadership, Cantor Colburn’s Chemical, Material, and Life Sciences Department has grown into the firm’s largest department with nearly 40 attorneys and patent agents who are dedicated to adding maximum value to client products and services by protecting their intellectual property assets. Leah provides Fortune 50 and other technology-based companies with sophisticated, creative solutions to complex legal and technical issues. Her counsel is fully supported by the knowledge and experience gained through her PhD in organic chemistry, her work as a research chemist at Eli Lily and DowElanco, and her success as an IP attorney.
Leah’s patent prosecution practice is focused primarily on polymer and materials science; pharmaceuticals and pharmaceutical formulation; agricultural chemicals and their formulation; nanotechnology; and metallurgy and ceramics. She teaches Patent Law at the University of Connecticut School of Law and is a frequent speaker on emerging areas of patent law. She has twice been designated a Woman of the Law High Achiever by the Connecticut Law Tribune.
Partner, Cantor Colburn LLP, 1999-present
Associate, Cantor Colburn LLP, 1995-1999
Research Chemist, Eli Lilly / DowElanco 1988-1993
- June 30, 2017
Cantor Colburn has been recommended as a Leading Firm by the Legal 500 United States 2017 in Intellectual Property for Patents: prosecution (including re-examination and post-grant proceedings). This will be the firm’s eighth consecutive year as being recognized for this highly selective honor. Partners Michael Cantor, Phil Colburn, Leah Reimer, Pamela Curbelo, Andy Ryan and Dave Christensen received special recognition from the editors of the publication. Dave Christensen was also recognized as a Next Generation Lawyer.
- June 1, 2017
Leah M. Reimer, Ph.D. has been named one of the Top 250 Women in IP for 2017 by Managing Intellectual Property. This honor recognizes women IP practitioners in private practice who have performed exceptionally for their clients and firms in the past year.
- May 30, 2017
- The Legal 500 United StatesJune 17, 2016
Cantor Colburn LLP has been recommended as a Leading Firm by the Legal 500 United States 2016 in Intellectual Property for Patents: prosecution (including re-examination and post-grant proceedings). This will be the firm’s seventh consecutive year as being recognized for this highly selective honor.
- June 16, 2016
Cantor Colburn is pleased to announce that Leah Reimer, Ph.D. has been named in Managing Intellectual Property's Top 250 Women in IP for 2016. Managing Intellectual Property’s research process comprises interviews and surveys and only a small subset of this group is selected for the Top 250 recognition.
- June 9, 2015
Cantor Colburn LLP has been recommended as a Leading Firm by the Legal 500 United States 2015 in Intellectual Property for patent prosecution: utility and design patents.
Research is based on feedback from 250,000 clients worldwide, submissions from law firms and interviews with leading private practice lawyers, and a team of researchers.
Seven of the firm’s attorneys have been recommended in the Legal 500 United States 2015’s editorial.
- December 2, 2014
Partner Leah Reimer, Ph.D., Esq., will speak at the International Intellectual Property Law Association (IIPLA) Annual Congress 2015, January 5-6, 2015, at Le Méridien Dubai Hotel & Conference Centre in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. Dr. Reimer will present the topic "Prior Use Rights – Established Worldwide, but Assert Only with Caution in the U.S."
- August 1, 2014
Eight Cantor Colburn attorneys were selected as IP Stars in the 2014 World IP Survey
by Managing Intellectual Property.
- October 10, 2013
Cantor Colburn LLP has been recognized by 10 different organizations and publications- which heralded 14 attorneys in particular- for excellence in their work in 2013. The Legal 500 has applauded the firm for its “solid reputation in the market of providing an excellent level of service, and having an excellent value for money.” From accolades for the firm as a whole to specific recognition of Cantor Colburn attorneys in diverse practice areas within the field of intellectual property, the firm has enjoyed an abundance of recognition in 2013.
- Connecticut Law TribuneOctober 8, 2012
- Connecticut Law TribuneApril 16, 2012
- June 4, 2018Boston, Massachusetts
The 2018 BIO International Convention will take place on June 4-7, 2018, in Boston, Massachusetts.
- February 18, 2018Phoenix, Arizona
The Association of University Technology Managers will hold its Annual Meeting on February 18, 2018 in Phoenix, Arizona.
- November 2, 2017New York, New York
The Women in Law and IP Summit: NYC conference will take place on November 2, 2017 in New York, New York. Partner and Co-Chair of the Chemical, Materials, and Life Sciences Department Leah Reimer, Ph.D., will attend.
- October 25, 2017The Jackson Laboratory for Genomic Medicine (Farmington, Connecticut)
Cantor Colburn is proud to sponsor The 4th Annual Forum on Healthcare Innovation presented by The Jackson Laboratory for Genomic Medicine on October 25-26. 2017, at the Jackson Laboratory's Farmington, Connecticut headquarters. The Forum will focus on emerging science and technology that will change the future of healthcare, and innovations in healthcare.
- April 22, 2017Hartford, Connecticut
- April 1, 2016New York, New York
Cantor Colburn is proud to sponsor the New York Intellectual Property Law Association's 94th Annual Dinner in Honor of the Federal Judiciary on April 1, 2016. The firm is a longtime sponsor of the "Judges' Dinner" event.
- November 10, 2015Hartford, Connecticut
Cantor Colburn is proud to sponsor the Innovation Summit, presented by the Connecticut Technology Council.
- June 4, 2015Hartford, Connecticut
3D Printing: Living Tissue to Human Organ, UConn's first Science Salon event, takes place Thursday, June 4, 2015 at NIXS Hartford at 6 p.m. The discussion will explore this transformational innovation from a variety of perspectives, namely medical, ethical, economic and technical.
- April 25, 2015Hartford, Connecticut
Cantor Colburn is proud to be a returning sponsor of the UConn Health White Coat Gala.
- January 5, 2015Dubai, UAE
Leah Reimer, Ph.D., Partner and Co-Chair of the firm's Chemical, Material, and Life Sciences Department, will speak at the International Intellectual Property Law Association (IIPLA) Annual Congress 2015 during January 5-6, 2015 at Le Méridien Dubai Hotel & Conference Centre in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. She will present the topic "Prior Use Rights – Established Worldwide, but Assert Only with Caution in the U.S."
- November 7, 2013Wallingford, Connecticut
Cantor Colburn is a platinum sponsor of the Connecticut Innovation Summit, a day-long program for executives, entrepreneurs, rising technology leaders, and investors to come together to share ideas and promote innovation. The program includes mentor meetings, a funding fair, a sales pitch competition, a poster expo, and an awards ceremony.
- International Legal Alliance Summit AwardsJune 20, 2013New York, New York
- Speaker, "Implementation of Preissue Submissions by Third Parties"April 2012Joint Patent Practice Legal Education Seminar, New York, NY
- Speaker, "Current Status of In re Bilski - Patentable Subject Matter"April 2010Joint Patent Practice Legal Education Seminar, New York, NY
American Bar Association
American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Patent Search Committee Member
Association of University Technology Managers
Intellectual Property Owners Association (IPO)
- U.S. Patent Law Committee
- Law Review Member
Connecticut Bar Association
Connecticut Bar Foundation, James W. Cooper Fellows
Institute of Material Sciences Board Member, University of Connecticut