- Advertising and Marketing Law
- Complex Commercial and Business Litigation
- Consumer Products Practice
- Copyright Litigation
- Derivation Proceedings
- Design Patents Practice
- Due Diligence in IP Acquisitions
- Ex Parte Reexaminations
- Foreign & PCT Patent Filing
- Inter Partes Review
- Internet Law
- Invalidity Opinions
- IP Transactional
- Non-infringement Opinions
- Patent Landscaping and Risk Analysis
- Patent Litigation
- Patent Reissue
- Patentability Opinions
- Pharmaceutical Litigation
- Post Grant Practice
- Post-Grant Review
- Product Clearance
- Right to Practice Opinions
- Strategic IP Portfolio Development and Management
- Technology Transfer
- Trade Secret Litigation
- Trademark and Copyright Litigation
- Trademark and Copyright Practice
- Trademark Litigation
- Trademarks and Trade Dress
- Transfers, Mergers, Acquisitions, Bankruptcies and Securitizations
- Unfair Competition and False Advertising
- Unfair Competition and False Advertising Litigation
- Utility, Design, and Plant Patent Filing with the USPTO
- Chemical Engineering
- Environmental Engineering
- Food Science
- Metallurgy & Ceramics
- Polymer & Materials Science
- Best Lawyers, 2016-2024
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Rated
- WIPR Leaders, 2017
- IP Stars, Managing IP, Connecticut, USA, 2013-2023
- Who's Who of Trademark Lawyers, 2013-2019
- Connecticut Bar Foundation - James W. Cooper Life Fellow
- Founding Fellow, Academy of Distinguished Engineers and Hall of Fame, University of Connecticut
- Corporate IP Lawyer of the Year in Connecticut, Corporate INTL Legal Awards, 2013
- Corporate IP Lawyer of the Year in Connecticut, ACQ Law Awards, 2013
- Top-Rated Lawyer, Intellectual Property Law, Fortune, 2013
- "Super Lawyers," Intellectual Property, Connecticut, 2007- 2009, 2017-2022
- Who's Who Legal: Patents, 2018-2020
- U.S. District Court, District of Connecticut, 1984
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, 1984
- State of Connecticut, 1983
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 1983
University of Connecticut School of Law, J.D., 1983
University of Connecticut, B.S., Chemical Engineering/Materials Engineering, with honors, 1980
- Adjunct Professor in Patent Law and Procedure, University of Connecticut School of Law
Michael Cantor씨는 20년이 넘는 기간 동안, 특별히 경쟁력있는 가격으로 가장 높은 수준의 법적 서비스를 제공해왔고, 이러한 그의 변함없는 헌신은 Cantor Colburn이 10명의 변호사로 운영되는 회사에서 전국에서 7번째로 큰 지적 재산 법무법인으로 전략적인 확장을 도모하는데 큰 발판이 되었습니다. 현재, Cantor씨는 국제적인 혁신가들로 이루어진 다양한 고객층이 IP 자산을 창조해낼 수 있도록 돕고 있는 110명이 넘는 변호사와 변리사 그리고 기술 고문들을 감독하고 있습니다.
Cantor씨는 IP 변호사로써의 25년이 넘는 자신의 경험을 화학공학과 재료 공학에서의 기술 교육과 접목시켜 포춘 50대 기업과, 대학, 기술 관련 신생 기업 그리고 중간 규모의 회사들이 목표한 IP 전략을 개발하고 수행할 수 있도록 도움을 드리고 있으며, 이 전략들은
복잡한 국제 경제 상에서 여러분들의 요구와 목표를 실현시켜 드릴 것 입니다. IP 관련 주제로 정기 강연과 저술에 매진하는 저명한 사상가인 Cantor씨는 장장 20여년간 코네티컷 법대에서 특허법과 절차를 강의해 왔습니다. 주지사인 M. Jodi Rell씨에 의해서 코네티컷 개발 당국 (the Connecticut Development Authority) 위원회에 임명되었고, 이 위원회와 Connecticut Innovations가 2012년 합병한 후 Dannel P. Malloy 주지사에 의해서 Connecticut Innovations 이사회에 임명 되었습니다.
Co-Managing Partner, Cantor Colburn LLP, 1983-present
- October 9, 2023
Cantor Colburn LLP, one of the largest full-service intellectual property law firms in the country, is pleased to announce that Partners Michael Cantor and Todd Garabedian are 2023 Super Lawyers and Ali Caless is a Super Lawyers Rising Stars. Only 5% of attorneys are selected to be Super Lawyers; only 2.5% of attorneys are selected to be Rising Stars.
- August 17, 2023
- September 10, 2022
- June 20, 2022
- July 21, 2021
- May 1, 2021
- NIH Selects Cantor Colburn for 10-Year, Multimillion-Dollar Contract for Patent Legal Services in Chemistry
Cantor Colburn LLP, the #3 firm for patents in the United States, is proud to have been awarded a ten-year, multimillion-dollar contract with the National Institutes of Health (NIH), the largest biomedical research agency in the world, to provide patent legal services in chemistry.
- Hartford Business JournalNovember 16, 2020
Cantor Colburn LLP Co-Managing Partner and Connecticut Innovations Chair Michael Cantor is quoted in the November 16, 2020 The Hartford Business Journal article, Five years in, Hartford's start up scene grows but is still in early stages, about the importance of startups from outside the state that have set up operations in Hartford in recent years.
- June 17, 2020
The webinar, U.S. Design Patents, Quickest, Easiest, and Cost-Effective, led by Cantor Colburn's Co-Managing Partner Michael Cantor and Design Patent Practice Co-Chair Daniel Drexler, aired on June 17, 2020. A rebroadcast and the presentation are available.
- June 1, 2020
- June 14, 2019
- The Hartford CourantMarch 20, 2019
Michael Cantor is quoted in the Hartford Courant article, “Connecticut Innovations planning move from Rocky Hill to New Haven and Hartford,” published on March 20, 2019.
- Legal 500 USA 2018June 4, 2018
Cantor Colburn LLP has been recommended as a Leading Firm by the Legal 500 United States 2018 in Intellectual Property for Patents: prosecution (including re-examination and post-grant proceedings). This is the ninth consecutive year that Cantor Colburn has been recognized for this highly selective honor.
- May 3, 2018
Six Cantor Colburn partners were selected as IP Stars in the 2018 World IP Survey by Managing Intellectual Property. Cantor Colburn was recognized as a “highly recommended” intellectual property (IP) law firm in the state of Connecticut, where the firm is headquartered.
Co-Managing Partners Michael Cantor and Philmore Colburn were listed in Connecticut, as were Pamela Curbelo, David Fox, and Leah Reimer, Ph.D. All are Patent Stars and Mr. Colburn is additionally a Trademark Star.
- April 20, 2016
- Corporate CounselOctober 2013
Cantor Colburn was nationally ranked for patent litigation by Corporate Counsel magazine in its October 2013 issue. Cantor Colburn’s dedicated team of litigation attorneys have decades of experience in presenting technically complex matters for trial in front of judges and juries. A partner participates in every facet of the case, bringing results that count for the client. And at each phase of the litigation, Cantor Colburn seeks practical strategies to achieve a prompt, efficient resolution of the dispute.
- New Haven IndependentNovember 15, 2013
Chairperson of Connecticut Innovations and Cantor Colburn Co-Managing Partner Michael Cantor toured New Haven's innovation hub and met with Grid Founders Fellows, young entrepreneurs whose start ups are being funded by the state, as covered by the New Haven Independent on November 15, 2013, "Mr. Innovation Meets The Fellows."
- October 10, 2013
Cantor Colburn LLP has been recognized by 10 different organizations and publications- which heralded 14 attorneys in particular- for excellence in their work in 2013. The Legal 500 has applauded the firm for its “solid reputation in the market of providing an excellent level of service, and having an excellent value for money.” From accolades for the firm as a whole to specific recognition of Cantor Colburn attorneys in diverse practice areas within the field of intellectual property, the firm has enjoyed an abundance of recognition in 2013.
- Hartford Business JournalAugust 19, 2013
The Hartford Business Journal talks about the future of Connecticut Innovations with the quasi-public venture capital firm’s new chairman Michael Cantor, Co-Managing Partner of Cantor Colburn LLP.
- The Connecticut Law TribuneJuly 29, 2013
Michael Cantor says his experience running an intellectual property law firm will help him lead Connecticut Innovations, a quasi-public agency that provides funding for high-tech businesses.
- July 2013
Governor Dannel P. Malloy announced that he has appointed Michael Cantor, co-managing partner of Cantor Colburn LLP to serve as chairperson of Connecticut Innovations (CI), the quasi-public agency charged with growing Connecticut's economy by making strategic capital and other investments that encourage the development of high-tech industries within the state, such as energy, biotechnology, information technology, and photonics.
- Connecticut Law TribuneJune 24, 2013
Co-Managing Partner Michael Cantor is interviewed about the firm's steady, consistent growth.
- May 31, 2013
The 200 employees of Cantor Colburn LLP’s Hartford office gathered on Friday, May 31, 2013, to witness the unveiling of the Cantor Colburn logo on a 12’ X 9’ sign on the side of its office building at 20 Church Street.
- May 6, 2013
- Hartford Business JournalApril 1, 2013
- Hartford MagazineFebruary 1, 2013
Michael Cantor's collection of patent models and patents is featured in Hartford magazine.
- Connecticut Law TribuneNovember 19, 2012
- Connecticut Law TribuneSeptember 3, 2012
- West Hartford NewsNovember 29, 2011
- November 10, 2011
- October 17, 2011
- The Connecticut Law TribuneJanuary 31, 2011
- The Inaugural Cantor Colburn LLP Intellectual Property and Entrepreneurship Distinguished Speaker SeriesCantor Colburn LLPJanuary 19, 2011
- Cantor Colburn LLPJanuary 19, 2011
- INTA BulletinApril 1, 2010
- INTAApril 1, 2010
- Connecticut Law TribuneApril 20, 2009
- The Connecticut Law TribuneApril 20, 2009
- October 26, 2023
UCONN Law Recognizes Michael Cantor as Distinguished Graduate Award 2023 at an event on October 26, 2023.
- September 10, 2023Boston
The Intellectual Property Owners Association 2023 Annual Meeting takes place September 10-12, 2023 in Boston.
- May 16, 2023Singapore
Michael Cantor, Phil Colburn, Michelle Ciotola and Dan Drexler will be joining trademark, brand professionals, and intellectual professionals from around the world at the annual meeting of the International Trademark Association (INTA) in Singapore in May 2023.
- March 20, 2023Tel Aviv, Israel
Michael Cantor will moderate the panel, "Managing IP in Time of Recession," with speakers Sharon Hausdorff, Vice President Corporate Intellectual Property TEVA, Mayan Calev, Intellectual Property Manager, Strauss Group Inc., and Cary Levitt, Former Chief IP Officer, DOW Chemicals and Corning, at the Best Practices in Intellectual Property conference in Tel Aviv, Israel, on March 20, 2023.
- September 15, 2022Atlanta
Cantor Colburn is proud to sponsor the Georgia Asian Pacific American Bar Association (GAPABA) Gala on September 15, 2022 at the Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta.
- October 25, 2021Hybrid - Streaming Live From Tel Aviv
Michael Cantor, co-managing partner of Cantor Colburn, will be part of a panel discussion on IP Landscaping and Competitor Analysis at the Best Practices in Intellectual Property (BPIP) Annual Conference on October 25, 2021, which brings global decision makers and international IP practitioners together with updates and analysis on IP global issues, trends and legislation.
- October 13, 2021Hartford, Connecticut
- June 17, 2020Webinar
Join us for complimentary webinar, U.S. Design Patents, Quickest, Easiest, and Cost-Effective, on June 17 at 9 AM EDT, led by Cantor Colburn's Co-Managing Partner Michael Cantor and Design Patent Practice Co-Chair Daniel Drexler.
- September 24, 2019Washington, D.C.
The Intellectual Property Owners (IPO) 47th Annual Meeting takes place September 24-26, 2019, in Washington, D.C.
- June 5, 2019Boston, Massachusetts
Michael Cantor will speak at the TransPerfect Legal Solutions and Suffolk University Law School Boston IP Forum on June 5, 2019 on foreign filing strategies.
- June 3, 2019Philadelphia
The BIO International Convention 2019 is in Philadelphia on June 3-6, 2019. More than 16,000 biotechnology and pharma leaders will come together for intensive networking to discover new opportunities and partnerships among a wide spectrum of life science and application areas, including drug discovery, biomanufacturing, genomics, biofuels, nanotechnology and cell therapy.
- May 19, 2018Seattle, Washington
The 140th annual meeting of the International Trademark Association (INTA) will take place in Seattle, Washington from May 19-23, 2018. Nearly 10,000 intellectual property professionals from around the world will attend, including a large delegation from Cantor Colburn.
- April 23, 2018New York City
Cantor Colburn is sponsoring the Paragraph IV Disputes conference in New York City on April 23-25, 2018. Cantor Colburn has a dedicated Pharmaceutical Practice Group comprised of experienced litigators, Ph.D. chemists, and patent attorneys.
- March 12, 2018Tel Aviv, Israel
Michael Cantor will speak on "Bringing Down the Costs: IP Budget Planning- Tips and Tricks" at the 5th Annual Best Practices in Intellectual Property Conference in Tel Aviv, Israel on March 12-13, 2018.
- November 7, 2017Washington, D.C.
The 2017 INTA (International Trademark Association) Leadership Meeting, November 7-10, 2017 in Washington, D.C., brings together INTA volunteer leaders once a year to advance the Association’s objectives and goals. It offers them an advanced-level educational program and the opportunity to conduct business and network with colleagues from around the world.
- May 20, 2017Barcelona, Spain
The 139th annual meeting of the International Trademark Association (INTA) took place in Barcelona, Spain from May 20-24, 2017 and was attended by more than 9,500 trademark professionals including a large delegation from Cantor Colburn.
- March 31, 2017New York, New York
Cantor Colburn is proud to sponsor the New York Intellectual Property Law Association's 95th Annual Dinner in Honor of the Federal Judiciary on March 31, 2017.
- November 15, 2016Hollywood, Florida
The 2016 INTA Leadership Meeting, November 15-18 in Hollywood, Florida, brings together INTA volunteer leaders once a year to advance the Association’s objectives and goals. It offers them an advanced-level educational program and the opportunity to conduct business and network with colleagues from around the world.
INTA is a global association of trademark owners and professionals dedicated to supporting trademarks and related intellectual property in order to protect consumers and to promote fair and effective commerce.
- October 27, 2016Shenzhen, China
Cantor Colburn is proud to sponsor the China Intellectual Property and Innovation Summit in Shenzhen, China, October 27-28, 2016.
- September 22, 2016Milan, Italy
- International Trademark Association (INTA) Annual MeetingMay 21, 2016Orlando, Florida
- November 10, 2015Hartford, Connecticut
Cantor Colburn is proud to sponsor the Innovation Summit, presented by the Connecticut Technology Council.
- May 2, 2015San Diego, California
The 137th annual meeting of the International Trademark Association (INTA) takes place in San Diego, California and will be attended by more than 9,500 trademark professionals including a large delegation from Cantor Colburn.
- September 7, 2014Vancouver, Canada
The IPO Annual Meeting takes place on September 7-9, 2014 in Vancouver, Canada.
- March 12, 2014UConn Campus, Storrs, Connecticut
- IPO Annual MeetingSeptember 15, 2013Boston, Massachusetts
- INTA 135th Annual MeetingMay 4, 2013Dallas, Texas
- International Trademark Association (INTA) Annual Meeting 2012May 5, 2012Washington, D.C.
- International Trademark Association (INTA) Annual MeetingMay 14, 2011San Francisco, California
American Bar Association
American Intellectual Property Law Association
Intellectual Property Owners Association
International Trademark Association
- Leadership Development Committee, 2023-2025
- Law Firm Committee, 2022-2023
- Management Subcommittee, 2022-2023
- Associates Subcommittee, 2020-2021
- Law Firm Committee, 2020-2021
- Design Emerging Issues Subcommittee, 2018-2019
- Designs Committee, 2018-2019
- Designs Committee, 2016-2017
- Designs Communications Subcommittee, 2016-2017
- Emerging Issues Committee, 2014-2015
- Limits on Trademark Rights Subcommittee, 2014-2015
- Internet Committee, 2012-2013
- Online Use Subcommittee, 2012-2013
Connecticut Patent Law Association
Connecticut Bar Association
- James W. Cooper Fellows
Connecticut IP Inn of Court, Charter Member, Membership Committee Co-Chair
Tau Beta Pi
Chair, Connecticut Innovations
Advisory Board, Legal Innovators
Board of Trustees, Connecticut Historical Society
Board Member, Jewish Federation of Greater Hartford
Board Member, University of Connecticut School of Engineering Advisory Board
Former Board Member, Greater Hartford Arts Council
Former Board Member, Connecticut Development Authority
Former Board Member, University of Connecticut Institute of Material Sciences Advisory Board
Former Board Member, University of Connecticut Foundation
Former Board Member, Connecticut Technology Council