- Chemical and Material Sciences Practice
- Design Patents Practice
- Due Diligence in IP Acquisitions
- Ex Parte Reexaminations
- Foreign & PCT Patent Filing
- Inter Partes Review
- Invalidity Opinions
- IP Transactional
- Life Sciences Practice
- Non-infringement Opinions
- Patent Landscaping and Risk Analysis
- Patent Reissue
- Patentability Opinions
- Pharmaceutical Patent Services
- Pharmaceutical Practice
- Post Grant Practice
- Product Clearance
- Right to Practice Opinions
- Strategic IP Portfolio Development and Management
- Technology Transfer
- Trade Secrets
- Transfers, Mergers, Acquisitions, Bankruptcies and Securitizations
- Utility, Design, and Plant Patent Filing with the USPTO
- Chemical Engineering
- Food Science
- Medical Devices
- Metallurgy & Ceramics
- Pharmaceuticals & Pharmaceutical Formulation
- Polymer & Materials Science
- IP Stars, 2021
- Supreme Court of the United States, 1999
- Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, 1994
- Court of Appeals for the First Circuit, 1994
- U.S. District Court, District of Connecticut, 1998
- U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts, 1994
- State of Connecticut, 1998
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 1994
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 1994
New England School of Law, J.D., 1994
Washington State University, Ph.D., Biochemistry, 1991
Washington State University, M.S., Biochemistry, 1988
UCLA, B.S. Biochemistry, 1985
- Adjunct Professor of Law, Quinnipiac University School of Law, Intellectual Property in Healthcare, 2017-present
Todd E. Garabedian, Ph.D.
Todd Garabedian, Ph.D. has extensive experience as an intellectual property attorney in a wide variety of disciplines related to the biological and chemical sciences, including chemistry, biochemistry, organic chemistry, pharmaceuticals, molecular biology, and materials science. Todd began his professional career as a research biochemist at the UCLA School of Medicine and thereafter at Washington State University where he worked in a variety of biological fields mainly centered around protein structure, function, and characterization. Before joining Cantor Colburn, Todd was a Partner at Wiggin and Dana LLP, advising clients in all aspects of patent law in the chemical and life science arts, including patent application preparation, prosecution, counseling, portfolio management, and legal opinions. His experience extends to trademarks, copyrights, trade secrets, and corporate transactions relating to intellectual property assets, including acquisitions, joint ventures, licensing, and other technology transfer transactions.
Partner and Vice Chair, Life Sciences Practice Group, Cantor Colburn LLP, 2013-present
Partner, Wiggin & Dana LLP, New Haven, CT, 2003-2013
Of Counsel, Wiggin and Dana LLP, New Haven, CT, 2002-2003
Associate, Wiggin and Dana LLP, New Haven, CT, 1996-2002
Associate, Weingarten, Schurgin, Gagnebin & Hayes, Boston, MA, 1994-1996
- Law360December 7, 2021
Law360 published the article, "Conn. IP Attys Cite Ethical Unease On Texting, Chinese Filings," written by Sameer Rao on December 7, 2021, which covered the Connecticut Bar Association webinar, "Hot Topics in Ethics for Intellectual Property Attorneys." Todd Garabedian, Partner and Vice Chair of Cantor Colburn's Life Sciences Practice Group, was a panelist.
- July 21, 2021
- NIH Selects Cantor Colburn for 10-Year, Multimillion-Dollar Contract for Patent Legal Services in Chemistry
Cantor Colburn LLP, the #3 firm for patents in the United States, is proud to have been awarded a ten-year, multimillion-dollar contract with the National Institutes of Health (NIH), the largest biomedical research agency in the world, to provide patent legal services in chemistry.
- The Patent Lawyer MagazineDecember 1, 2020
- Client Alert: USPTO Examination Guidance Memo Addresses Subject Matter Eligibility of Method of Treatment ClaimsJune 20, 2018
The USPTO published new examination guidance concerning method-of-treatment claims. Cantor Colburn's Client Alert summarizes the so-called "Vanda memo." In a memorandum dated June 7, 2018, the USPTO set out new examination guidance concerning method-of-treatment claims, which is encouraging news for patent applicants in the personalized medicine space. The memo emphasizes that method of treatment claims can be found to satisfy subject matter eligibility under 35 USC § 101 at the first step of an Alice/Mayo analysis, without requiring a showing of “nonroutine or unconventional steps.” The memo provides helpful guidance to examiners and patent applicants that emphasizes the patent eligibility of personalized method of treatment claims.
- September 18, 2013
Cantor Colburn LLP, one of the country’s leading intellectual property (IP) law firms, announced the hiring of partner Todd E. Garabedian, Ph.D., formerly a partner at Wiggin & Dana LLP. Garabedian, a Ph.D. biochemist, has almost 20 years of extensive experience in patent application preparation, prosecution, counseling, portfolio management, and legal opinions in a wide variety of disciplines related to the biological and chemical sciences.
- December 7, 2021
Todd Garabedian will participate in a panel discussion of Ethics in IP Law on December 7, 2021, presented by the IP section of the Connecticut Bar Association.
- July 28, 2021
Cantor Colburn led a UConn Technology Commercialization Services Fireside Chat, "Working with Different Types of Intellectual Property," on July 28, 2021. Todd Garabedian, Ph.D., Esq., Partner and Vice Chair of Cantor Colburn's Life Sciences Patent Practice, discussed patents, and George Pelletier, Of Counsel in the Trademark & Copyright Practice, discussed trademarks. The presentation was for UConn Technology Commercialization Fellows.
- October 23, 2019The Jackson Laboratory for Genomic Medicine (Farmington, Connecticut)
Cantor Colburn is proud to sponsor The JAX Healthcare Forum presented by The Jackson Laboratory for Genomic Medicine on October 23-24, 2019, at the Jackson Laboratory's Farmington, Connecticut headquarters. The Forum will focus on emerging science and technology that will change the future of healthcare, and innovations in healthcare.
- September 19, 2019Branford, Connecticut
- June 3, 2019Philadelphia
The BIO International Convention 2019 is in Philadelphia on June 3-6, 2019. More than 16,000 biotechnology and pharma leaders will come together for intensive networking to discover new opportunities and partnerships among a wide spectrum of life science and application areas, including drug discovery, biomanufacturing, genomics, biofuels, nanotechnology and cell therapy.
- October 24, 2018Farmington, Connecticut
Cantor Colburn is pleased to be a returning sponsor of The 5th Annual JAX Healthcare Forum, which focuses on emerging science and technology that will change the future of healthcare, and innovations in healthcare. Todd E. Garabedian, Ph.D., Partner and Vice Chair of the Life Sciences Practice Group, is on the planning committee for this forum and will attend the event.
- October 24, 2018Hamden, Connecticut
- June 4, 2018Boston, Massachusetts
- January 9, 2018Hartford, Connecticut
Hartford Mayor Luke Bronin will speak at the MetroHartford Alliance Rising Star Breakfast on January 9 in Hartford.
- October 25, 2017The Jackson Laboratory for Genomic Medicine (Farmington, Connecticut)
Cantor Colburn is proud to sponsor The 4th Annual Forum on Healthcare Innovation presented by The Jackson Laboratory for Genomic Medicine on October 25-26. 2017, at the Jackson Laboratory's Farmington, Connecticut headquarters. The Forum will focus on emerging science and technology that will change the future of healthcare, and innovations in healthcare.
- April 27, 2017New Haven, Connecticut
Stem Conn is Connecticut’s largest scientific conference, with 500 participants from academia, industry, and government. The 2017 event took place on April 27 at the Omni in New Haven.
- April 22, 2017Hartford, Connecticut
- January 24, 2017Alexandria, Virginia
With the first four U.S. biosimilars approved and many more in the FDA pipeline, it is critical that pharmaceutical companies develop strategies at a business operations level to comply with evolving regulations, mitigate risk and execute long-term decisions to prepare for success. At the 12th Biosimilars Summit, industry experts spoke about the tools and strategies needed to prepare for the impending changes impacting all elements of the healthcare industry.
- October 26, 2016Farmington, Connecticut
The 2016 Forum on Healthcare Innovation was presented by The Jackson Laboratory in collaboration with the Connecticut Health Council. The Forum focused on two specific topics: coverage decisions for biomedical innovation and emerging science and technology that will change the future of healthcare.
- September 28, 2016Anlyan Center at Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut
CURE presents a deeply experienced panel of bioscience investors as they explain the venture capital trends of 2016 as well as discuss a look into the future as to where the capital will be flowing in 2017.
- July 6, 2016Okinawa, Japan
Todd Garabedian, Ph.D. will present a seminar entitled, "Patent Law as a Career Path" at the Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology in Okinawa, Japan on July 6, 2016. Todd will discuss his career in patent law, as well as recent changes in patent law, including the importance of legal protection for novel intellectual assets that could have commercial implications.
- June 6, 2016San Francisco, California
- April 25, 2016Hartford, Connecticut
Cantor Colburn is proud to be a returning sponsor of the UConn Health White Coat Gala, which honors the “white coats” worn by the men and women breaking new ground in the lab and providing exceptional, personalized patient care.
- April 25, 2015Hartford, Connecticut
Cantor Colburn is proud to be a returning sponsor of the UConn Health White Coat Gala.
- April 15, 2015New Haven, Connecticut
Cantor Colburn partner Todd Garabedian, Ph.D. will speak at the University of New Haven as part of their Alvine Engineering Professional Effectiveness and Enrichment Program, Spring 2015, Speaker Series.
- September 10, 2014Anlyan Center at Yale School of Medicine, New Haven, CT
- June 23, 2014San Diego, California
- Growing Connecticut's Bioscience Community: Supporting Ideas, Creating ValueJune 5, 2014Anlyan Center at Yale, New Haven, Connecticut
- April 9, 2014University of New Haven, New Haven, Connecticut
Cantor Colburn partner Todd Garabedian, Ph.D., will speak on patent law and intellectual property to engineering students at the University of New Haven's the Alvine Engineering Professional Effectiveness and Enrichment Program Speaker Series.
- March 25, 2014Yale School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut
Cantor Colburn partner Anne Maxwell, Ph.D., joins a panel discussion of the Association for Molecular Pathology v. Myriad Genetics decision and its impact on entrepreneurship In diagnostics and customized medicines at the Yale School of Medicine in New Haven on Tuesday, March 25, from 4-6 PM. This BioHaven seminar has convened a panel of experts from various sectors of the biotech and pharmaceutical industry to discuss the business implications of cases such as Myriad.
American Chemical Society
American Intellectual Property Law Association
Intellectual Property Owners Association (IPO)
Connecticut Bar Association
Connecticut Intellectual Property Law Association
Massachusetts Bar Association
The Federalist Society