- Aerospace & Aeronautics
- Automotive Technology
- Electrical Engineering & Electronics
- Mechanical Engineering
- Due Diligence in IP Acquisitions
- IP Transactional
- Patent Landscaping and Risk Analysis
- Post Grant Practice
- Strategic IP Portfolio Development and Management
- Trademark and Copyright Practice
- Managing IP, IP Stars, Connecticut, USA, 2013-2017
- Martindale-Hubbell BV Rated
- State of Michigan, 2004
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit,1994
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 8th Circuit, 1994
- District of Massachusetts, 1993
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 1993
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 1992
- State of New York, 1992
- District of Connecticut, 1991
- State of Connecticut, 1991
Western New England University School of Law, J.D., 1991
University of Massachusetts, MBA, 1986
Northeastern University, B.S., Electrical Engineering, with honors, 1982
- Adjunct Professor of Patent Law, Western New England University School of Law
Co-Managing Partner Phil Colburn has transformed Cantor Colburn into one of the nation’s leading intellectual property law firms. Phil leads a team of more than 115 attorneys, patent agents, and technical advisors who are committed to helping clients optimize their IP assets through the timely delivery of top quality, cost-effective legal services.
His counsel to Fortune 50 multinationals, as well as smaller companies and universities, is informed both by unique technical insights gained from his years of professional experience as a design engineer and by strategic perspectives derived from more than 25 years’ practice as an IP attorney. Taking a proactive, results-driven approach allows him to help clients define their needs and implement strategies that achieve their objectives. A frequent speaker on IP issues, Phil was an adjunct professor of Patent Law and Copyright Law at Western New England University School of Law.
Co-Managing Partner, Cantor Colburn LLP, 1999-present
Partner, Fishman, Dionne, Cantor and Colburn LLP, 1997-1999
Associate, Fishman, Dionne and Cantor, 1991-1996
Engineering Manager, Manage Incorporated, 1986-1990
Design Engineer, United Technologies Corporation, 1982-1985
- June 30, 2017
Cantor Colburn has been recommended as a Leading Firm by the Legal 500 United States 2017 in Intellectual Property for Patents: prosecution (including re-examination and post-grant proceedings). This will be the firm’s eighth consecutive year as being recognized for this highly selective honor. Partners Michael Cantor, Phil Colburn, Leah Reimer, Pamela Curbelo, Andy Ryan and Dave Christensen received special recognition from the editors of the publication. Dave Christensen was also recognized as a Next Generation Lawyer.
- May 30, 2017
- JuristatFebruary 4, 2017
For the last ten years, Cantor Colburn LLP has been the fastest growing patent law firm in the country, according to patent analytics and research firm Juristat in its “Rainmaker Firms” blog post on February 4, 2016.
- Michael A. Cantor, Philmore H. Colburn II, and Curtis Krechevsky Recognized in the U.S. News – Best Lawyers® 2017August 17, 2016
Cantor Colburn, one of the largest intellectual property (IP) law firms in the country, is pleased to announce that its Co-Managing Partners Michael A. Cantor and Philmore H. Colburn II, and partner Curt Krechevsky, who leads the firm’s Trademark & Copyright Department, were selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2017.
- The Legal 500 United StatesJune 17, 2016
Cantor Colburn LLP has been recommended as a Leading Firm by the Legal 500 United States 2016 in Intellectual Property for Patents: prosecution (including re-examination and post-grant proceedings). This will be the firm’s seventh consecutive year as being recognized for this highly selective honor.
- April 20, 2016
- June 9, 2015
Cantor Colburn LLP has been recommended as a Leading Firm by the Legal 500 United States 2015 in Intellectual Property for patent prosecution: utility and design patents.
Research is based on feedback from 250,000 clients worldwide, submissions from law firms and interviews with leading private practice lawyers, and a team of researchers.
Seven of the firm’s attorneys have been recommended in the Legal 500 United States 2015’s editorial.
- August 1, 2014
Eight Cantor Colburn attorneys were selected as IP Stars in the 2014 World IP Survey
by Managing Intellectual Property.
- June 30, 2014
Cantor Colburn LLP is a returning silver sponsor for the 4th annual Sikorsky Home Run for Heroes fundraiser. The fundraiser is to benefit and honor Connecticut military veterans and their families.
- Connecticut Law TribuneMay 2014
Cantor Colburn was named Litigation Department of the Year in the Intellectual Property category by the Connecticut Law Tribune.
Cantor Colburn’s litigators have decades of trial experience, presenting technically complex matters to judges and juries, and work collaboratively with their patent colleagues who are highly educated and expert in a wide variety of technologies. The Law Tribune described Cantor Colburn as “a law firm… and a haven for scientists.”
- The Connecticut Law TribuneDecember 2, 2013
- Corporate CounselOctober 2013
Cantor Colburn was nationally ranked for patent litigation by Corporate Counsel magazine in its October 2013 issue. Cantor Colburn’s dedicated team of litigation attorneys have decades of experience in presenting technically complex matters for trial in front of judges and juries. A partner participates in every facet of the case, bringing results that count for the client. And at each phase of the litigation, Cantor Colburn seeks practical strategies to achieve a prompt, efficient resolution of the dispute.
- October 10, 2013
Cantor Colburn LLP has been recognized by 10 different organizations and publications- which heralded 14 attorneys in particular- for excellence in their work in 2013. The Legal 500 has applauded the firm for its “solid reputation in the market of providing an excellent level of service, and having an excellent value for money.” From accolades for the firm as a whole to specific recognition of Cantor Colburn attorneys in diverse practice areas within the field of intellectual property, the firm has enjoyed an abundance of recognition in 2013.
- The Legal 500 USAJune 10, 2013
- May 31, 2013
The 200 employees of Cantor Colburn LLP’s Hartford office gathered on Friday, May 31, 2013, to witness the unveiling of the Cantor Colburn logo on a 12’ X 9’ sign on the side of its office building at 20 Church Street.
- Connecticut Law TribuneFebruary 6, 2012
- Connecticut Law TribuneJanuary 23, 2012
- The Connecticut Law TribuneApril 18, 2011
- The Inaugural Cantor Colburn LLP Intellectual Property and Entrepreneurship Distinguished Speaker SeriesCantor Colburn LLPJanuary 19, 2011
- The Hartford Business JournalApril 5, 2010
- IP Law 360January 22, 2009
- City Life Suits Cantor ColburnConnecticut Law TribuneJanuary 21, 2008
- Study of intellectual property law grows at WNECThe Republican, Metro South PlusJanuary 25, 2006
- Attorney Philmore H. Colburn IIPerspectives Magazine, Western New England University of LawSummer 2005
- New Offices, Corporate Work Surge Fuel Healthy Revenue GainsConnecticut Law TribuneWeek of July 18, 2005
- Where are they now? Philmore H. Colburn IIPerspectives Magazine, Western New England University of LawSpring 2004
- High Tech Boom Buoys Cantor ColburnConnecticut Law TribuneApril 3, 2000
- October 13, 2017Sydney, Australia
AIPPI World Congress takes place October 13-17, 2017 in Sydney, Australia.
- October 4, 2017Houston, Texas
Cantor Colburn is sponsoring the 2nd Annual IP Strategy Summit: Houston on Wednesday, October 4, 2017 at the Derek Hotel where Co-Managing Partner Philmore Colburn II will be a featured speaker.
- April 28, 2017Gainesville, Georgia
Cantor Colburn is proud to be a returning sponsor of SpringPosium, an annual Intellectual Property CLE conference co-sponsored by Georgia State University Foundation, Atlanta Bar CLE, and the Atlanta Bar's IP Section.
- April 27, 2017
Cantor Colburn is sponsoring The IP Strategy Summit Defense: New York City on Thursday, April 27 at the W Hotel - Union Square where Co-Managing Partner Philmore Colburn II will be a featured speaker. Conference topics will address Defensive Strategy, 2017 Defensive Perspectives on Post Issuance Proceedings, NPE Defense, Strategic Defense Against Rivals & Operating Companies, Risk Management & Avoiding Litigation and Ethics in IP.
- March 31, 2017New York, New York
- March 15, 2017Washington, D.C.
Phil Colburn, Co-Managing Partner of Cantor Colburn LLP, will attend the IPO Committee Leadership Meeting in Washington, D.C. on March 15, 2017. Phil is the Vice Chair of the IPO Open Source Committee.
- March 8, 2017Atlanta, Georgia
Cantor Colburn is sponsoring The IP Strategy Summit: Atlanta on March 8 at the Ritz Carlton, Atlanta, where Co-Managing Partner Philmore Colburn II will be a featured speaker. Conference topics will address IP strategy in light of the Alice ruling on what’s patentable, the Octane and Highmark decisions on fee shifting standards, and potential risky outcomes from post issuance proceedings.
- January 13, 2017Detroit, Michigan
The North American International Auto Show 2016 takes place January 8-22, 2017, showcasing the next generation of transportation. Cantor Colburn is pleased to support the Auto Show Charity Preview on January 13, the proceeds of which directly benefit a wide range of children's charities.
- November 15, 2016Hollywood, Florida
The 2016 INTA Leadership Meeting, November 15-18 in Hollywood, Florida, brings together INTA volunteer leaders once a year to advance the Association’s objectives and goals. It offers them an advanced-level educational program and the opportunity to conduct business and network with colleagues from around the world.
INTA is a global association of trademark owners and professionals dedicated to supporting trademarks and related intellectual property in order to protect consumers and to promote fair and effective commerce.
- November 3, 2016Boston, Massachusetts
Cantor Colburn is sponsoring The IP Defense Summit: Boston on Thursday, November 3, in Boston, where Co-Managing Partner Philmore Colburn II will be a featured speaker. Conference topics will address defense and litigation. Phil will be part of a panel discussion entitled “The 3 Ps of a Defense Strategy-Prosecution, Portfolio Management & People” and lead a roundtable discussion entitled "Unintended Consequences: What Patent Owners Need to Know about Nautilus, Octane, Highmark and Alice."
- October 27, 2016
Cantor Colburn is sponsoring The IP Strategy Summit: New York on Thursday, October 27, 2016 in New York City where Co-Managing Partner Philmore Colburn II will be a featured speaker. Phil will lead a panel discussion entitled "The Pillars of an Aligned IP Strategy: Prosecution, Portfolio Management, Competitive Intelligence & Business Goals."
- October 20, 2016Seattle, Washington
- September 22, 2016Milan, Italy
- July 21, 2016Mackinac Island, Michigan
Cantor Colburn is pleased to sponsor the ICLE's 42nd Annual Intellectual Property Law Summer Institute for the fifth consecutive year.
- International Trademark Association (INTA) Annual MeetingMay 21, 2016Orlando, Florida
- May 12, 2016Houston, Texas
- April 21, 2016Palo Alto, California
Cantor Colburn is sponsoring The IP Enforcement & Monetization Summit: Silicon Valley 2016 on April 21, 2016, where Co-Managing Partner Philmore Colburn II will be a featured speaker.
- April 15, 2016Adairsville, Georgia
Cantor Colburn is proud to be a returning sponsor of SpringPosium, an annual Intellectual Property CLE conference co-sponsored by Georgia State University College of Law and the Atlanta Bar's IP Section. Co-Managing Partner Phil Colburn will be on a panel discussing Subject Matter Eligibility.
- April 1, 2016New York, New York
Cantor Colburn is proud to sponsor the New York Intellectual Property Law Association's 94th Annual Dinner in Honor of the Federal Judiciary on April 1, 2016. The firm is a longtime sponsor of the "Judges' Dinner" event.
- IPO Committee Leadership Meeting and DinnerMarch 15, 2016Washington, D.C.
- March 1, 2016Atlanta, Georgia
Cantor Colburn is sponsoring The IP Strategy Summit: Atlanta on March 1 at the Twelve Hotel in Atlanta, Georgia, where Co-Managing Partner Philmore Colburn II will be a featured speaker.
- December 8, 2015Washington, D.C.
Cantor Colburn is proud to sponsor the 2015 IPO Education Foundation Awards Dinner which will recognize Inventor of the Year, Distinguished IP Professional, IP Video Contest Winners, and a grant to a team of high school inventors.
- November 17, 2015Panama City, Panama
The INTA Leadership Meeting brings together INTA volunteer leaders once a year to advance the Association’s objectives and goals. It offers them an advanced-level educational program and the opportunity to conduct business and network with colleagues from around the world.
- October 6, 2015Boston, Massachusetts
- October 1, 2015Seattle, Washington
The IP Strategy Summit: Defense will take place in Seattle, Washington on October 1, 2015. Phil Colburn is one of the presenters.
- September 27, 2015Chicago, Illinois
The Intellectual Property Owners Association (IPO) 43rd Annual Meeting offers a mix of educational programs led by distinguished presenters, committee meetings, exhibits, and networking functions.
- September 24, 2015New York, New York
Phil Colburn will be a part of the panel presentation and discussion, "Patent Prosecution & Monetization - Ensuring a Future Revenue Stream" at the IP Strategy Summit: Monetization in New York City on September 24, 2015. Also on the panel are Dr. Jan M.K. Jaferian,Vice President - IP at Manitowoc Company, Thelma Chen Cleland, Ph.D., Director of IP at Mannkind, and Reza Sarbakhsh, Lead IP Attorney at IBM.
- May 2, 2015San Diego, California
The 137th annual meeting of the International Trademark Association (INTA) takes place in San Diego, California and will be attended by more than 9,500 trademark professionals including a large delegation from Cantor Colburn.
- April 14, 2015Atlanta, Georgia
- April 10, 2015Adairsville, Georgia
- March 27, 2015New York, New York
At the New York Intellectual Property Law Association's 93rd Annual Dinner in Honor of the Federal Judiciary, former United States Secretary of State Keynote Speaker Madeleine K. Albright will be the keynote speaker and Honorable James D. Smith, Chief Administrative Patent Judge, United States Patent and Trademark Office, will receive the Outstanding Public Service Award.
- March 26, 2015New York City
- February 26, 2015Seattle, Washington
- January 28, 2015Silicon Valley, California
Phil Colburn, Co-Managing Partner of Cantor Colburn, will be a part of the panel discussion "Patent Prosecution & Monetization - Ensuring Future Revenue Stream" at the IP Strategy Summit - Monetization: Harvesting Your IP in Silicon Valley, California, in January 2015.
- January 12, 2015Detroit, Michigan
The North American International Auto Show 2015 takes place the week of January 12, 2015, showcasing the next generation of transportation. Cantor Colburn is pleased to support the Auto Show Charity Preview on January 16, the proceeds of which directly benefit a wide range of children's charities.
- December 9, 2014Washington, D.C.
Cantor Colburn is proud to sponsor the 2014 IPO Education Foundation Awards Dinner.
- November 18, 2014Orange County, California
- INTA Leadership Meeting 2014November 11, 2014Phoenix, Arizona
- September 7, 2014Vancouver, Canada
- July 17, 2014Mackinac Island, Michigan
- The IP Strategy Summit: EnforcementJune 10, 2014New York City
- May 10, 2014Hong Kong, China
- April 11, 2014Adairsville, Georgia
- The 92nd Annual Dinner in Honor of the Federal JudiciaryMarch 28, 2014New York, New York
- March 13, 2014Silicon Valley, California
Cantor Colburn Co-Managing Partner Phil Colburn will moderate a panel on The Process and Structures of a Monetization Program at The IP Strategy Summit, Monetization: Harvesting Your IP on March 13, 2014, in East Palo Alto, California.
- November 12, 2013New York, New York
The IP Strategy Summit: NY brings together thought-leaders from a cross-spectrum of blue chip companies for a unique mix of insightful content, workshops, exclusive speakers, high power networking and real life, actionable cases studies.
- The IP Strategy Summit: EnforcementOctober 17, 2013Silicon Valley, California
- IPO Annual MeetingSeptember 15, 2013Boston, Massachusetts
- July 18, 2013Mackinac Island, Michigan
Cantor Colburn is pleased to once again be a sponsor of the 39th Annual Intellectual Property Law Summer Institute, co-sponsored by the Intellectual Property Law Section of the State Bar of Michigan.
- International Legal Alliance Summit AwardsJune 20, 2013New York, New York
- May 4, 2013Dallas, Texas
- Intellectual Property SpringPosium 2013, Atlanta Bar AssociationApril 26, 2013Adairsville, Georgia
Phil Colburn, speaker, "America Invents Act - Practical Implications of New First to File Provisions"
- April 23, 2013New York, NY
Phil Colburn moderated the panel, "Winning Early: Working with R&D and Pre-Launch Teams to Optimize Monetization"
- International Trademark Association (INTA) Annual Meeting 2012May 5, 2012Washington, D.C.
American Bar Association
American Intellectual Property Law Association
Connecticut Bar Association
Intellectual Property Owners Association, Vice Chair, Open Source Committee
International Trademark Association, Leadership Development Committee
Michigan Bar Association
New York Intellectual Property Law Association