- Advertising and Marketing Law
- Complex Commercial and Business Litigation
- Consumer Products Practice
- Derivation Proceedings
- Design Patents Practice
- Due Diligence in IP Acquisitions
- Ex Parte Reexaminations
- Foreign & PCT Patent Filing
- Inter Partes Review
- Internet and Domain Names
- Invalidity Opinions
- IP Transactional
- Non-infringement Opinions
- Patent Landscaping and Risk Analysis
- Patent Litigation
- Patent Reissue
- Patentability Opinions
- Pharmaceutical Litigation
- Post Grant Practice
- Post-Grant Review
- Product Clearance
- Right to Practice Opinions
- Strategic IP Portfolio Development and Management
- Technology Transfer
- Trade Secret Litigation
- Trade Secrets
- Trademark and Copyright Litigation
- Trademark and Copyright Practice
- Trademarks and Trade Dress
- Transfers, Mergers, Acquisitions, Bankruptcies and Securitizations
- Unfair Competition and False Advertising
- Unfair Competition and False Advertising Litigation
- Utility, Design, and Plant Patent Filing with the USPTO
- Chemical Engineering
- Environmental Engineering
- Food Science
- Metallurgy & Ceramics
- Polymer & Materials Science
- Named to Best Lawyers (R) in America, 2016-2021
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Rated
- WIPR Leaders, 2017
- IP Stars, Managing IP, Connecticut, USA, 2013-2021
- Who's Who of Trademark Lawyers, 2013-2019
- Connecticut Bar Foundation - James W. Cooper Life Fellow
- Founding Fellow, Academy of Distinguished Engineers and Hall of Fame, University of Connecticut
- Corporate IP Lawyer of the Year in Connecticut, Corporate INTL Legal Awards, 2013
- Corporate IP Lawyer of the Year in Connecticut, ACQ Law Awards, 2013
- Top-Rated Lawyer, Intellectual Property Law, Fortune, 2013
- "Super Lawyers," Intellectual Property, Connecticut, 2007- 2009, 2017-2022
- Who's Who Legal: Patents, 2018-2020
- U.S. District Court, District of Connecticut, 1984
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, 1984
- State of Connecticut, 1983
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 1983
University of Connecticut School of Law, Juris Doctor, 1983
University of Connecticut, Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering/Materials Engineering, with honors, 1980
マイケル・Ａ・キャンター（Michael A. Cantor ）
キャンターは、化学工学・材料工学の技術的な知識と知財弁護士としての２５年以上の経験とに基づき、フォーチュン誌のトップ５０に挙げられるような企業や大学やハイテクベンチャー企業や中小企業が、今日の複雑なグローバル経済の中でその企業・大学などのニーズや目的を達成するための知財戦略を開発し実行することに協力してきました。知財関連のトピックに関して定期的に講演し執筆をするオピニオンリーダーとして著名であり、コネチカット大学法学部にて２０年近くにわたり特許法および特許手続きについて教えてきました。Ｍ・ジョディ・レル（M. Jodi Rell）前州知事によりコネチカット開発局委員会（Connecticut Development Authority board）の委員として指名され、その後、この委員会が２０１２年にコネチカットイノベーションズ（Connecticut Innovations）と合併した後は、ダネル・Ｐ・マロイ（Dannel P. Malloy）州知事により、合併後のコネチカットイノベーションズの役員会の役員に任命されました。
Co-Managing Partner, Cantor Colburn LLP, 1983-present
- US News and Best LawyersAugust 19, 2021
Cantor Colburn is proud to announce that seven of our attorneys have been recognized as 2022 Best Lawyers and Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch. Best Lawyers are Michael Cantor, Phil Colburn, Curt Krechevsky, David Rodrigues, Ph.D. and Mike Rye and Best Lawyers One to Watch are Ali Caless and Tina Dorr, Ph.D.
- July 21, 2021
- May 1, 2021
- NIH Selects Cantor Colburn for 10-Year, Multimillion-Dollar Contract for Patent Legal Services in Chemistry
Cantor Colburn LLP, the #3 firm for patents in the United States, is proud to have been awarded a ten-year, multimillion-dollar contract with the National Institutes of Health (NIH), the largest biomedical research agency in the world, to provide patent legal services in chemistry.
- Hartford Business JournalNovember 16, 2020
Cantor Colburn LLP Co-Managing Partner and Connecticut Innovations Chair Michael Cantor is quoted in the November 16, 2020 The Hartford Business Journal article, Five years in, Hartford's start up scene grows but is still in early stages, about the importance of startups from outside the state that have set up operations in Hartford in recent years.
- June 17, 2020
The webinar, U.S. Design Patents, Quickest, Easiest, and Cost-Effective, led by Cantor Colburn's Co-Managing Partner Michael Cantor and Design Patent Practice Co-Chair Daniel Drexler, aired on June 17, 2020. A rebroadcast and the presentation are available.
- June 1, 2020
- June 14, 2019
- The Hartford CourantMarch 20, 2019
Michael Cantor is quoted in the Hartford Courant article, “Connecticut Innovations planning move from Rocky Hill to New Haven and Hartford,” published on March 20, 2019.
- Fox61March 17, 2019
On March 17, 2019 CT’s Fox61 aired a story about Newington, CT husband and wife inventors who successfully pitched a product on Shark Tank only to find the appearance of many copycat products on Amazon after the show aired. The couple has a patent for the invention and Michael Cantor commented on the situation.
- September 1, 2018
Four of Cantor Colburn’s key partner were selected by their peers for recognition in The Best Lawyers in America (2019 Edition). Co-Managing Partners Michael A. Cantor and Philmore H. Colburn II, Litigation Department Chair Michael J. Rye, and Partner and Trademark & Copyright Department Chair Curtis Krechevsky were recognized for the third consecutive year.
- Legal 500 USA 2018June 4, 2018
Cantor Colburn LLP has been recommended as a Leading Firm by the Legal 500 United States 2018 in Intellectual Property for Patents: prosecution (including re-examination and post-grant proceedings). This is the ninth consecutive year that Cantor Colburn has been recognized for this highly selective honor.
- May 3, 2018
Six Cantor Colburn partners were selected as IP Stars in the 2018 World IP Survey by Managing Intellectual Property. Cantor Colburn was recognized as a “highly recommended” intellectual property (IP) law firm in the state of Connecticut, where the firm is headquartered.
Co-Managing Partners Michael Cantor and Philmore Colburn were listed in Connecticut, as were Pamela Curbelo, David Fox, and Leah Reimer, Ph.D. All are Patent Stars and Mr. Colburn is additionally a Trademark Star.
- August 15, 2017
Cantor Colburn is pleased to announce that its Co-Managing Partners Michael A. Cantor and Philmore H. Colburn II, and partners Curtis Krechevsky, who leads the firm’s Trademark & Copyright Department, and Michael J. Rye, who leads the firm’s Litigation Department, were selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2018.
- Michael A. Cantor, Philmore H. Colburn II, and Curtis Krechevsky Recognized in the U.S. News – Best Lawyers® 2017August 17, 2016
Cantor Colburn, one of the largest intellectual property (IP) law firms in the country, is pleased to announce that its Co-Managing Partners Michael A. Cantor and Philmore H. Colburn II, and partner Curt Krechevsky, who leads the firm’s Trademark & Copyright Department, were selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2017.
- The Legal 500 United StatesJune 17, 2016
Cantor Colburn LLP has been recommended as a Leading Firm by the Legal 500 United States 2016 in Intellectual Property for Patents: prosecution (including re-examination and post-grant proceedings). This will be the firm’s seventh consecutive year as being recognized for this highly selective honor.
- May 9, 2016
Michael A. Cantor, Co-Managing Partner of Cantor Colburn LLP, and Curtis Krechevsky, Partner and Chair of the Trademark & Copyright Department at the firm, are recognized as world leading practitioners of trademark law by the 2016 edition of The International Who’s Who of Trademark Lawyers.
- April 20, 2016
- June 9, 2015
Cantor Colburn LLP has been recommended as a Leading Firm by the Legal 500 United States 2015 in Intellectual Property for patent prosecution: utility and design patents.
Research is based on feedback from 250,000 clients worldwide, submissions from law firms and interviews with leading private practice lawyers, and a team of researchers.
Seven of the firm’s attorneys have been recommended in the Legal 500 United States 2015’s editorial.
- June 6, 2014
Michael A. Cantor, Co-Managing Partner of Cantor Colburn LLP, and Curtis Krechevsky, Partner and Chair of the Trademark & Copyright Department at the firm, are recognized as world leading practitioners of trademark law by the 2014 edition of The International Who’s Who of Trademark Lawyers. The two trademark standouts were named to this distinction by their peers. According to the publication, lawyers who receive this honor “have been selected based upon comprehensive, independent survey work and only specialists who have met independent international research criteria are listed.”
- Corporate CounselOctober 2013
Cantor Colburn was nationally ranked for patent litigation by Corporate Counsel magazine in its October 2013 issue. Cantor Colburn’s dedicated team of litigation attorneys have decades of experience in presenting technically complex matters for trial in front of judges and juries. A partner participates in every facet of the case, bringing results that count for the client. And at each phase of the litigation, Cantor Colburn seeks practical strategies to achieve a prompt, efficient resolution of the dispute.
- New Haven IndependentNovember 15, 2013
Chairperson of Connecticut Innovations and Cantor Colburn Co-Managing Partner Michael Cantor toured New Haven's innovation hub and met with Grid Founders Fellows, young entrepreneurs whose start ups are being funded by the state, as covered by the New Haven Independent on November 15, 2013, "Mr. Innovation Meets The Fellows."
- October 10, 2013
Cantor Colburn LLP has been recognized by 10 different organizations and publications- which heralded 14 attorneys in particular- for excellence in their work in 2013. The Legal 500 has applauded the firm for its “solid reputation in the market of providing an excellent level of service, and having an excellent value for money.” From accolades for the firm as a whole to specific recognition of Cantor Colburn attorneys in diverse practice areas within the field of intellectual property, the firm has enjoyed an abundance of recognition in 2013.
- Hartford Business JournalAugust 19, 2013
The Hartford Business Journal talks about the future of Connecticut Innovations with the quasi-public venture capital firm’s new chairman Michael Cantor, Co-Managing Partner of Cantor Colburn LLP.
- The Connecticut Law TribuneJuly 29, 2013
Michael Cantor says his experience running an intellectual property law firm will help him lead Connecticut Innovations, a quasi-public agency that provides funding for high-tech businesses.
- July 2013
Governor Dannel P. Malloy announced that he has appointed Michael Cantor, co-managing partner of Cantor Colburn LLP to serve as chairperson of Connecticut Innovations (CI), the quasi-public agency charged with growing Connecticut's economy by making strategic capital and other investments that encourage the development of high-tech industries within the state, such as energy, biotechnology, information technology, and photonics.
- Connecticut Law TribuneJune 24, 2013
Co-Managing Partner Michael Cantor is interviewed about the firm's steady, consistent growth.
- The Legal 500 USAJune 10, 2013
- May 31, 2013
The 200 employees of Cantor Colburn LLP’s Hartford office gathered on Friday, May 31, 2013, to witness the unveiling of the Cantor Colburn logo on a 12’ X 9’ sign on the side of its office building at 20 Church Street.
- May 6, 2013
- Hartford Business JournalApril 1, 2013
- Hartford MagazineFebruary 1, 2013
Michael Cantor's collection of patent models and patents is featured in Hartford magazine.
- Connecticut Law TribuneNovember 19, 2012
- Connecticut Law TribuneSeptember 3, 2012
- West Hartford NewsNovember 29, 2011
- November 10, 2011
- October 17, 2011
- The Connecticut Law TribuneApril 18, 2011
- The Connecticut Law TribuneJanuary 31, 2011
- January 24, 2011
- The Inaugural Cantor Colburn LLP Intellectual Property and Entrepreneurship Distinguished Speaker SeriesCantor Colburn LLPJanuary 19, 2011
- Cantor Colburn LLPJanuary 19, 2011
- INTA BulletinApril 1, 2010
- INTAApril 1, 2010
- Connecticut Law TribuneApril 20, 2009
- Who's On Top?The Connecticut Law TribuneMay 12, 2008
- Q&A with Cantor Colburn’s Michael CantorIP Law 360September 2007
- Cantor Colburn Expands to AlexandriaIntellectual Property TodayJune 12, 2007
- A Small Victory for DowntownThe Hartford CourantApril 11, 2007
- October 25, 2021Hybrid - Streaming Live From Tel Aviv
Michael Cantor, co-managing partner of Cantor Colburn, will be part of a panel discussion on IP Landscaping and Competitor Analysis at the Best Practices in Intellectual Property (BPIP) Annual Conference on October 25, 2021, which brings global decision makers and international IP practitioners together with updates and analysis on IP global issues, trends and legislation.
- October 13, 2021Hartford, Connecticut
- June 17, 2020Webinar
Join us for complimentary webinar, U.S. Design Patents, Quickest, Easiest, and Cost-Effective, on June 17 at 9 AM EDT, led by Cantor Colburn's Co-Managing Partner Michael Cantor and Design Patent Practice Co-Chair Daniel Drexler.
- September 24, 2019Washington, D.C.
The Intellectual Property Owners (IPO) 47th Annual Meeting takes place September 24-26, 2019, in Washington, D.C.
- June 5, 2019Boston, Massachusetts
Michael Cantor will speak at the TransPerfect Legal Solutions and Suffolk University Law School Boston IP Forum on June 5, 2019 on foreign filing strategies.
- June 3, 2019Philadelphia
The BIO International Convention 2019 is in Philadelphia on June 3-6, 2019. More than 16,000 biotechnology and pharma leaders will come together for intensive networking to discover new opportunities and partnerships among a wide spectrum of life science and application areas, including drug discovery, biomanufacturing, genomics, biofuels, nanotechnology and cell therapy.
- May 19, 2018Seattle, Washington
The 140th annual meeting of the International Trademark Association (INTA) will take place in Seattle, Washington from May 19-23, 2018. Nearly 10,000 intellectual property professionals from around the world will attend, including a large delegation from Cantor Colburn.
- April 23, 2018New York City
Cantor Colburn is sponsoring the Paragraph IV Disputes conference in New York City on April 23-25, 2018. Cantor Colburn has a dedicated Pharmaceutical Practice Group comprised of experienced litigators, Ph.D. chemists, and patent attorneys.
- March 12, 2018Tel Aviv, Israel
Michael Cantor will speak on "Bringing Down the Costs: IP Budget Planning- Tips and Tricks" at the 5th Annual Best Practices in Intellectual Property Conference in Tel Aviv, Israel on March 12-13, 2018.
- November 7, 2017Washington, D.C.
The 2017 INTA (International Trademark Association) Leadership Meeting, November 7-10, 2017 in Washington, D.C., brings together INTA volunteer leaders once a year to advance the Association’s objectives and goals. It offers them an advanced-level educational program and the opportunity to conduct business and network with colleagues from around the world.
- May 20, 2017Barcelona, Spain
The 139th annual meeting of the International Trademark Association (INTA) took place in Barcelona, Spain from May 20-24, 2017 and was attended by more than 9,500 trademark professionals including a large delegation from Cantor Colburn.
- March 31, 2017New York, New York
- November 15, 2016Hollywood, Florida
The 2016 INTA Leadership Meeting, November 15-18 in Hollywood, Florida, brings together INTA volunteer leaders once a year to advance the Association’s objectives and goals. It offers them an advanced-level educational program and the opportunity to conduct business and network with colleagues from around the world.
INTA is a global association of trademark owners and professionals dedicated to supporting trademarks and related intellectual property in order to protect consumers and to promote fair and effective commerce.
- October 27, 2016Shenzhen, China
Cantor Colburn is proud to sponsor the China Intellectual Property and Innovation Summit in Shenzhen, China, October 27-28, 2016.
- September 22, 2016Milan, Italy
- International Trademark Association (INTA) Annual MeetingMay 21, 2016Orlando, Florida
- November 10, 2015Hartford, Connecticut
Cantor Colburn is proud to sponsor the Innovation Summit, presented by the Connecticut Technology Council.
- May 2, 2015San Diego, California
The 137th annual meeting of the International Trademark Association (INTA) takes place in San Diego, California and will be attended by more than 9,500 trademark professionals including a large delegation from Cantor Colburn.
- September 7, 2014Vancouver, Canada
The IPO Annual Meeting takes place on September 7-9, 2014 in Vancouver, Canada.
- March 12, 2014UConn Campus, Storrs, Connecticut
- IPO Annual MeetingSeptember 15, 2013Boston, Massachusetts
- INTA 135th Annual MeetingMay 4, 2013Dallas, Texas
- International Trademark Association (INTA) Annual Meeting 2012May 5, 2012Washington, D.C.
- International Trademark Association (INTA) Annual MeetingMay 14, 2011San Francisco, California
American Bar Association
American Intellectual Property Law Association
Intellectual Property Owners Association
International Trademark Association
Connecticut Patent Law Association
Connecticut Bar Association
- James W. Cooper Fellows
Connecticut IP Inn of Court, Charter Member, Membership Committee Co-Chair
Tau Beta Pi
Chairperson, Connecticut Innovations
Board Member, Connecticut Historical Society
Board Member, Connecticut Technology Council
Board Member, University of Connecticut School of Engineering Advisory
Board Member, Greater Hartford Arts Council
Former Board Member, Connecticut Development Authority
Former Board Member, University of Connecticut Institute of Material Sciences Advisory Board
Formere Board Member, University of Connecticut Foundation