- Complex Commercial and Business Litigation
- Due Diligence in IP Acquisitions
- Ex Parte Reexaminations
- General Litigation
- Inter Partes Review
- Invalidity Opinions
- IP Transactional
- Non-infringement Opinions
- Patent Litigation
- Patentability Opinions
- Post Grant Practice
- Post-Grant Review
- Right to Practice Opinions
- Strategic IP Portfolio Development and Management
- Technology Transfer
- Trade Secret Litigation
- Trade Secrets
- Trademark and Copyright Litigation
- Trademark and Copyright Practice
- Transfers, Mergers, Acquisitions, Bankruptcies and Securitizations
- Unfair Competition and False Advertising
- Unfair Competition and False Advertising Litigation
- Named to Best Lawyers (R) in America, 2018, 2019
- Martindale-Hubbell BV Rated
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, 2008
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, 2006
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan, 2002
- U.S. District Court, Central and Northern Districts of Illinois, 2002
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, 2000
- U.S. District Court, District of Connecticut, 1999
- State of Connecticut, 1999
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit, 1991
- State of New York, 1991
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 1990
- U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts, 1990
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 1990
Syracuse University College of Law, J.D., 1990
University of Minnesota, B.A., Biology, 1985
Michael Rye is a trial lawyer of more than 20 years’ experience whose varied intellectual property litigation practice runs the gamut of litigation from injunction hearings through appeal for domestic and international clients in a wide variety of industries, which often involve complex technologies. Mike’s client-oriented case management style is practical and productive. His command of the legal process involves understanding the written rules and procedures as well as the unwritten rules. He has a proven ability to solve complex legal problems through strategic planning and preparation. Mike’s practice emphasizes patent litigation, but often involves trademark, trade dress, copyright, trade secrets, unfair competition, false advertising, licensing, and other related commercial and business litigation. Mike has acted as lead litigation counsel in courts throughout the United States, including multi-district litigation and numerous Federal District courts. He co-chairs Cantor Colburn's Litigation Department.
Partner, Cantor Colburn LLP, 2002-present
Associate, Cantor Colburn LLP, 1997-2002
Associate, Doherty, Wallace, Pillsbury & Murphy, PC, Springfield, MA, 1990-1997
- OFS Fitel LLC et al (Dist. CT) Represented a leading manufacturer of optical fibre in a complex patent infringement suit involving more than ten patents. After considerable discovery, we were able to negotiate a substantial settlement.
- FARO v. Brainlabs (Dist. CT) Represented inventor of surgical digital positioning devices. Negotiated successful licensing program with Brainlabs and other industry leaders after discovery conducted.
- Siemon Company v. Krone, Inc. (Dist. CT) Represented a telecommunications connector manufacturer in the successful prosecution of a patent infringement lawsuit related to suppression of electrical cross-talk in connectors. Mike obtained summary judgment of infringement resulting in a favorable settlement.
- Imonex v. Greenwald Industries (E.D. TX) Represented a manufacturer of coin sorters in patent infringement defense in Eastern District of Texas with alleged multi-million dollar damages, resulting in dismissal of case and license of accused patents with nominal payment.
- Aearo Company and Cabot Safety Intermediate Corporation v. Apothecary Products, Inc. (S. D. IN) Represented trade dress owner of “pillow pack” packaging in infringement litigation and defense of cancellation action based upon alleged functionality of mark. We ultimately obtained a favorable license and dismissal of the cancellation action.
- Kaman Music Corporation v. Gibson Guitar Corporation (Dist. CT) Represented plaintiff in preliminary injunction motion and litigation asserting trademark infringement for defendant’s use of the “LP” mark. The case resulted in an agreement to discontinue the offending use.
- Thomas & Betts Corp. v. Siemon Company (W.D. TN) Represented a telecommunications connector manufacturer in the successful defense of a patent infringement lawsuit relating to printed circuit board designs with asserted damages in the millions of dollars. Our aggressive invalidity defense resulted in license of accused patents with nominal payment.
- B.A.S. Industries, LLC v. Indian Industries, Inc., (Dist. CT) Represented a distributor of table tennis equipment in litigation against the owner of the registered trademark “ping pong”. We filed a cancellation action based upon the asserted generic status of the mark. The case resulted in a favorable settlement for our client.
- November 1, 2019
U.S. News - Best Lawyers® has ranked Cantor Colburn among the country’s "Best Law Firms" for 2020. Cantor Colburn’s trademark, copyright, and litigation practices were cited, and litigation was cited for both intellectual property and patent litigation. Earlier this year Michael A. Cantor, Philmore H. Colburn II, Michael J. Rye, Curtis Krechevsky and George A. Pelletier, Jr. were recognized as Best Lawyers.
- August 19, 2019
Co-Managing Partners Michael A. Cantor and Philmore H. Colburn II, Partner and Litigation Department Co-Chair Michael J. Rye, Partner and Trademark & Copyright Department Chair Curtis Krechevsky and Trademark and Copyright Of Counsel George A. Pelletier, Jr. have been selected as U.S. News – Best Lawyers® (2020 Edition).
- September 1, 2018
Four of Cantor Colburn’s key partner were selected by their peers for recognition in The Best Lawyers in America (2019 Edition). Co-Managing Partners Michael A. Cantor and Philmore H. Colburn II, Litigation Department Chair Michael J. Rye, and Partner and Trademark & Copyright Department Chair Curtis Krechevsky were recognized for the third consecutive year.
- August 15, 2017
Cantor Colburn is pleased to announce that its Co-Managing Partners Michael A. Cantor and Philmore H. Colburn II, and partners Curtis Krechevsky, who leads the firm’s Trademark & Copyright Department, and Michael J. Rye, who leads the firm’s Litigation Department, were selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2018.
- Law360June 2014
Law360 quoted Cantor Colburn’s Michael J. Rye on the U.S. Supreme Court’s induced infringement ruling from in Limelight Networks Inc. v. Akamai Technologies Inc.
- Connecticut Law TribuneMay 2014
Cantor Colburn was named Litigation Department of the Year in the Intellectual Property category by the Connecticut Law Tribune.
Cantor Colburn’s litigators have decades of trial experience, presenting technically complex matters to judges and juries, and work collaboratively with their patent colleagues who are highly educated and expert in a wide variety of technologies. The Law Tribune described Cantor Colburn as “a law firm… and a haven for scientists.”
- Corporate CounselOctober 2013
Cantor Colburn was nationally ranked for patent litigation by Corporate Counsel magazine in its October 2013 issue. Cantor Colburn’s dedicated team of litigation attorneys have decades of experience in presenting technically complex matters for trial in front of judges and juries. A partner participates in every facet of the case, bringing results that count for the client. And at each phase of the litigation, Cantor Colburn seeks practical strategies to achieve a prompt, efficient resolution of the dispute.
- Corporate CounselOctober 1, 2012
- Corporate CounselJune 1, 2012
- Corporate Counsel magazineOctober 3, 2011
- The Connecticut Law TribuneMarch 29, 2010
- GC New EnglandMarch 24, 2008
- April 18, 2019Hartford, Connecticut
Cantor Colburn is proud to sponsor the Boys & Girls Club of Hartford's 2019 GREAT Futures Celebration on April 18, 2019 at the Connecticut Convention Center in Hartford, Connecticut.
- May 11, 2017New Haven, Connecticut
Cantor Colburn is pleased to sponsor the Connecticut Intellectual Property Law Association's Judge's Dinner on May 11, 2017.
- Patent Litigation Roundtable2008GC New England, Q1
American Bar Association
- Member, Intellectual Property Section
- Member, Litigation Section
American Intellectual Property Lawyers Association
Connecticut Intellectual Property Lawyers Association, Past President
Hampden County Bar Association
Intellectual Property Owners Association
Massachusetts Bar Association