- Computer Science Practice
- Due Diligence in IP Acquisitions
- Electrical Engineering Practice
- Foreign & PCT Patent Filing
- Invalidity Opinions
- IP Transactional
- Mechanical Engineering Practice
- Non-infringement Opinions
- Patent Landscaping and Risk Analysis
- Patentability Opinions
- Product Clearance
- Right to Practice Opinions
- Strategic IP Portfolio Development and Management
- Transfers, Mergers, Acquisitions, Bankruptcies and Securitizations
- Utility, Design, and Plant Patent Filing with the USPTO
- Electrical Engineering & Electronics
- Aerospace & Aeronautics
- Computer Science & Software
- Semiconductor Devices & Processing Methods
- Mechanical Engineering
- Automotive Technology
- Internet & E-Commerce
- State of Connecticut, 2012
- Federal Circuit Court of Appeals, 2003
- First Circuit Court of Appeals, 2001
- US Patent and Trademark Office, 2000
- Federal District Court of Massachusetts, 1999
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 1998
Boston University School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 1998
- Edward F. Hennessey Distinguished Scholar award
- G. Joseph Tauro Distinguished Scholar award
- Paul J. Liacos Distinguished Scholar award
- Dean’s Awards in Sales & Secured Transactions and Antitrust
- Article Editor of Journal of Science and Technology Law
University of Colorado at Boulder, B.S., Electrical Engineering, 1995
- Top 10% of Graduating Electrical Engineering Class
- Deans List
- Regents Scholarship
- Texaco Philanthropic Scholarship
- Housing Committee Distinguished Student Award
- Adjunct Professor, Advanced Patent Law, UConn Law
M. Brad Lawrence
Brad Lawrence focuses his practice on intellectual property counseling including the protection of clients' inventions through carefully planned patent procurement. His practice also includes analysis of the IP and product positions of others and the development of licensing strategies as well as performing product clearances in the form of non-infringement and/or invalidity opinions. He also has significant prior litigation experience that includes many aspects of patent, trademark, and trade secret litigation as well as licensing and other extrajudicial resolution of IP disputes.
Partner, Cantor Colburn LLP, 2014-present
Counsel, Cantor Colburn LLP, 2012-2013
Associate, Cantor Colburn LLP, 2008-2011
Associate, Bromberg & Sunstein, LLP, Boston, MA, 2005-2007
Associate, Testa, Hurwitz & Thibeault, LLP, Boston MA, 2003-2005
Associate, Wolf, Greenfield & Sacks, P.C., Boston, MA, 1998-2003
- March 25, 2022New York City
The 100th Dinner in Honor of the Federal Judiciary will be held on March 25, 2022 in New York City.
- October 26, 2021
Cantor Colburn is sponsoring the 7th Annual John G.L. Cabot Award Dinner presented by and in support of The New England Legal Foundation, a non-profit public interest law firm focusing on policy and constitutional concerns related to free enterprise.
- September 23, 2021virtual
Brad Lawrence will speak at the CenterForce virtual conference, IP 2022: New Beginnings on September 23, 2021, as part of a panel discussion of Portfolio Management & IP Strategy in the Realities of a New Business Environment along with Lucy Lubashev from Raytheon, Wei Campbell from Akebia Therapeutics, and Tao Zhang from Ansys.
- October 29, 2020New York City
- October 15, 2020Virtual
- November 20, 2019New York City
Partner Anne Barry will attend the IP Strategy: New York on November 20, 2019, where she will be a panelist on the session, "Patent Prosecution & Portfolio Management: Inconsistency, Complexity & Budgets", and Anne will lead a roundtable discussion, "Unlock the Potential of the Examiner Interview: Why It’s Worth It In The Long Run". The summit is presented by Center Force.
- November 13, 2019
- October 16, 2019New York City
Cantor Colburn is proud to be a returning sponsor of the Pro Bono Partnership Gala. This is the 22nd anniversary of providing free legal services to nonprofits in Connecticut, New Jersey, and New York.
- July 24, 2019New York City
Cantor Colburn is sponsoring The 16th Annual Protecting Innovations for Financial Services Industry Summit on July 24-25, 2019 in New York City. Partner Brad Lawrence will moderate the panel, "Understand the Impact of FinTech Partnerships on the IP Climate."
- July 16, 2019
- June 16, 2019Boston
Brad Lawrence will attend the IPBC Global conference on June 16-18, 2019 in Boston.
- June 5, 2019Chicago
Cantor Colburn is sponsoring The 5th Annual IP Strategy Summit: Chicago on June 5, 2019, where partner Brad Lawrence will be a featured speaker. Brad will be part of a panel discussion entitled, "Prosecution and Portfolio Management: Inconsistency, Complexity & Budgets," and will lead a roundtable discussion.
- April 11, 2019Boston, Massachusetts
Cantor Colburn is sponsoring The IP Strategy Summit: Boston on April 11, 2019, where Co-Managing Partner Philmore Colburn II will be a featured speaker. Phil will be part of a panel discussion on patent prosecution and lead a roundtable discussion on "Unintended Consequences of Nautilus, Highmark, Octane & ALICE for Patent Owners." Brad Lawrence, a partner at Cantor Colburn will also attend.
- March 28, 2019
- March 22, 2019New York City
Cantor Colburn is proud to sponsor the New York Intellectual Property Law Association's 97th Annual Dinner in Honor of the Federal Judiciary on March 22, 2019. The firm is a longtime sponsor of the Judges' Dinner.
- November 13, 2018New York City
- October 17, 2018New York City
Cantor Colburn is proud to sponsor the Pro Bono Partnership’s 2018 Gala which marks the organization’s 21st anniversary of providing free legal services to nonprofits in Connecticut, New Jersey, and New York.
- July 25, 2018New York, New York
- May 15, 2018The Colonnade Hotel, Boston, MA
Cantor Colburn is sponsoring The IP Strategy Summit: Boston on Tuesday, May 15, 2018, where Co-Managing Partner Philmore Colburn II will be a featured speaker. Phil will be part of a panel discussion on "Prosecution and Portfolio Management: "Going Beyond Quality" and lead a roundtable discussion on "Unintended Consequences of Nautilus, Highmark, Octane & ALICE for Patent Owners." Brad Lawrence, a partner at Cantor Colburn will also attend.
- March 23, 2018New York City
Cantor Colburn is proud to sponsor the New York Intellectual Property Law Association's 96th Annual Dinner in Honor of the Federal Judiciary on March 23, 2018. The firm is a longtime sponsor of the Judges' Dinner.
- March 14, 2018New York, New York
- November 15, 2017Boston, Massachusetts
Phil Colburn will be a part of the panel presentation and discussion, "Portfolio Management & Patent Prosecution in the Era of IPRs, ALICE & OCTANE" at the IP Strategy Summit: Boston on November 15, 2017. Phil also led a roundtable discussion on "Unintended Consequences: What Patent Owners Need to Know about Nautilus, Octane, Highmark and Alice."
- April 1, 2016New York, New York
Cantor Colburn is proud to sponsor the New York Intellectual Property Law Association's 94th Annual Dinner in Honor of the Federal Judiciary on April 1, 2016. The firm is a longtime sponsor of the "Judges' Dinner" event.
- The 92nd Annual Dinner in Honor of the Federal JudiciaryMarch 28, 2014New York, New York
Intellectual Property Owners Association (IPO), U.S. Patent Office Practice Committee, Member