- Computer Science Practice
- Due Diligence in IP Acquisitions
- Electrical Engineering Practice
- Ex Parte Reexaminations
- Foreign & PCT Patent Filing
- Invalidity Opinions
- Mechanical Engineering Practice
- Non-infringement Opinions
- Patent Landscaping and Risk Analysis
- Patentability Opinions
- Post Grant Practice
- Product Clearance
- Right to Practice Opinions
- Strategic IP Portfolio Development and Management
- Transfers, Mergers, Acquisitions, Bankruptcies and Securitizations
- Utility, Design, and Plant Patent Filing with the USPTO
- Automotive Technology
- Computer Science & Software
- Electrical Engineering & Electronics
- Food Science
- Internet & E-Commerce
- Mechanical Engineering
- Semiconductor Devices & Processing Methods
- Eastern District of Texas District Court, 2009
- Northern District of Georgia District Court, 2006
- State of Georgia, 2003
- United States Patent and Trademark Office, 2002
the University of New Hampshire School of Law (formerly known as the Franklin Pierce Law Center), J.D., 2003
Georgia Institute of Technology, B.S., Electrical Engineering, 2005
Georgia Institute of Technology, B.S., Industrial and Systems Engineering, 2000
Jeffrey L. Waters
Jeffrey Waters concentrates his practice on drafting and prosecuting patents for mechanical and electrical innovations. In particular, he has experience with patent issues relating to GPS, Internet and e-commerce, semiconductor devices and processing methods, and telecommunications. While Jeff’s practice focuses on patent drafting and prosecution, he also has experience with patent litigation, having defended multiple patent infringement lawsuits. Jeff also has experience in conducting due diligence investigations and drafting opinions.
Partner, Cantor Colburn LLP, 2015-present
Counsel, Cantor Colburn LLP, 2014
Associate, Cantor Colburn LLP, 2011-2013
Associate, Jones Day, Atlanta, GA, 2007-2011
Associate, Troutman Sanders LLP, Atlanta, GA, 2006-2007
Associate, Cantor Colburn LLP, 2004-2006
Legal Intern, GE Power Systems, Smyrna, GA, January-May, 2003
- Telematics Corporation v. United Parcel Service Co. et al. (N.D. Ga. Case No. 07:00105) (Represented Sprint Nextel against Telematics in a patent infringement lawsuit concerning a GPS vehicle tracking system and method.)
- ArrivalStar S.A. et al. vs. Canadian National Railway Co. et al., (N.D. Ill. Case No. 08:01086) (Represented Canadian National Railway Company against ArrivalStar in a suit involving patents relating to methods and system for advanced notification of pending arrival of a vehicle)
- Georgia-Pacific Gypsum LLC vs. New NGC Inc, d/b/a National Gypsum Company (N.D. Ga. Case No. 08:00166) (Represented Georgia-Pacific Gypsum LLC against New NGC in a action alleging patent infringement claims relating to glass mat-faced gypsum wallboards.)
- Netcraft Corporation v. AT&T Inc., et al. (D. Del. Case No. 07:00651) (Represented Sprint Nextel against Netcraft in a patent infringement lawsuit concerning Internet billing methods.)
- EMSAT Advanced Geo-Location Technology, LLC et al. vs. Alltel Communications LLC (N.D. Ohio Case No. 08:00821) (Represented Alltel Communications against EMSAT in a patent infringement lawsuit concerning location based services and E911 service.)
- January 12, 2022
The USPTO has announced the Deferred Subject Matter Eligibility (SME) Response Pilot Program, which launches on February 1, 2022, and provides applicants with a limited waiver with respect to SME rejections applied against an application. The program provides a sequenced approach to handling substantive rejections, where SME rejections are handled after the resolution of all other patentability rejections.
- The Legal 500 United StatesJune 17, 2016
Cantor Colburn LLP has been recommended as a Leading Firm by the Legal 500 United States 2016 in Intellectual Property for Patents: prosecution (including re-examination and post-grant proceedings). This will be the firm’s seventh consecutive year as being recognized for this highly selective honor.
- October 20, 2022Atlanta
Two very special intellectual property events will take place in Atlanta on October 20, 2022: the USIPA ANNUAL MEETING, on site & virtual via Zoom, from 9:00 AM - 5:00 p.m., with keynote speaker Kathi Vidal, Under Secretary of Commerce for Intellectual Property and Director of the United States Patent and Trademark Office and the GIPA IP CELEBRATION, with cocktails, dinner & launch of the Global IP Alliance from 6:30 - 9:30 p.m.
- Structuring Non-Infringement Opinions and Reducing Risk of Patent Infringement: Key Considerations and ProvisionsAugust 23, 2022
Jeffrey Waters will be a panelist for the webinar "Structuring Non-Infringement Opinions and Reducing Risk of Patent Infringement: Key Considerations and Provisions" on August 23, 2022, presented by Strafford for CLE credit.
- April 28, 2022Atlanta
- March 25, 2022New York City
The 100th Dinner in Honor of the Federal Judiciary will be held on March 25, 2022 in New York City.
- October 19, 2021virtually
- October 4, 2021Johns Creek, Georgia
Cantor Colburn is proud to be a returning Gold Sponsor of the CIP CUP® 2021 Charity Intellectual Property Golf Tournament on October 4, 2021 in Johns Creek, Georgia.
- October 29, 2020virtual
- October 6, 2020Virtual
Georgia IP Alliance (GIPA)'s Corporate IP Roundtable takes place on October 6, 2020, featuring Phyllis T. Turner-Brim, Vice President and Asst. General Counsel IP and Technology at Starbucks Coffee Co. Jeffrey Waters, Partner in Charge of the Atlanta Office and Co-Chair of the Computer Science Practice Group, and Tanmay Dharmadhikari, will attend the virtual event.
- December 12, 2019Washington, D.C.
Cantor Colburn is proud to sponsor the 2019 IPO Education Foundation Awards Dinner which recognizes the 46th Inventor of the Year, IP Video Contest Winners, and more. The event takes place on December 12, 2019 in Washington, D.C.
- October 3, 2019St. Ives Country Club, Johns Creek, Georgia
Cantor Colburn is proud to be a returning Gold Sponsor of the CIP CUP® 2019 Charity Intellectual Property Golf Tournament on October 3, 2019.
- July 16, 2019
- May 9, 2019Atlanta
The Georgia Intellectual Property Alliance presents the 15th Annual IP Hot Topics Luncheon, "The Future of Autonomous Vehicles & Luxurious Mobility" on May 9, 2019, in Atlanta.
- April 4, 2019
Partner Jeffrey Waters presents the webinar, "Information Disclosure Best Practices: Navigating Risks of IDS Filings" on April 4, 2019, with Michael Rau, Director IP Technical Services at Clarivate Analytics and Gene Quinn, IP Watchdog Founder.
- March 22, 2019New York City
Cantor Colburn is proud to sponsor the New York Intellectual Property Law Association's 97th Annual Dinner in Honor of the Federal Judiciary on March 22, 2019. The firm is a longtime sponsor of the Judges' Dinner.
- October 22, 2018Atlanta, Georgia
Cantor Colburn, a Premier Sponsor of the Georgia State University College of Law Intellectual Property Program, is pleased to support The Annual Corporate IP Institute®, presented by the university's College of Law and the J. Mack Robinson College of Business, and the Atlanta Bar Association Intellectual Property Law Section. This collaboration is for the educational benefit of corporations interested in maximizing the value of their intellectual property assets. The annual two-day annual event is held at the Georgia State University Student Center, October 22-23, 2018.
- April 25, 2018Atlanta, Georgia
- March 23, 2018New York City
Cantor Colburn is proud to sponsor the New York Intellectual Property Law Association's 96th Annual Dinner in Honor of the Federal Judiciary on March 23, 2018. The firm is a longtime sponsor of the Judges' Dinner.
- November 8, 2017Atlanta, Georgia
Cantor Colburn, a Premier Sponsor of the Georgia State University College of Law Intellectual Property Program, is pleased to support The 11th Annual Corporate IP Institute®.
- May 10, 2017Atlanta, Georgia
Cantor Colburn is a gold sponsor of the 4th Annual IP Think Tank and the 13th Annual Intellectual Property Hot Topics Luncheon presented by the Georgia State University College of Law.
- March 31, 2017New York, New York
- May 18, 2016Orlando, Florida
Partner Jeffrey Waters will speak on “IP creation: The process of patenting” at the 25th International Conference for Management of Technology in Orlando, Florida on May 18, 2016. The theme for the conference is Technology – Future thinking, where researchers, scholars and industry participants from all over the world will explore ideas, innovations, and technologies that change lives, and transform the world. Jeff concentrates his practice on drafting and prosecuting patents for mechanical and electrical innovations.
- May 11, 2016Atlanta, Georgia
- March 1, 2016Atlanta, Georgia
Cantor Colburn is sponsoring The IP Strategy Summit: Atlanta on March 1 at the Twelve Hotel in Atlanta, Georgia, where Co-Managing Partner Philmore Colburn II will be a featured speaker.
- October 27, 2015Atlanta, Georgia
Cantor Colburn is pleased to sponsor The Corporate IP Institute®, presented by the Georgia State University College of Law and the J. Mack Robinson College of Business. This collaboration is for the educational benefit of corporations interested in maximizing the value of their intellectual property assets. The annual two-day annual event is held at the Georgia State University Student Center, on October 27 & 28, 2015.
- The 92nd Annual Dinner in Honor of the Federal JudiciaryMarch 28, 2014New York, New York
Georgia Bar, Intellectual Property Section
Georgia Intellectual Property Law Association (GIPA)
Intellectual Property Owners Association
U.S. Patent Office Practice Committee, 2020-2021