A recognized leader in IP law.
A full-service intellectual property law firm for more than 40 years, Cantor Colburn is today among the largest intellectual property (IP) firms in the nation. We are dedicated to helping a diverse group of technology-based clients optimize their IP assets.
Our capabilities and experience have not gone unnoticed. Recent recognition includes:
- Ranked 1st for Growth among US Patent Firms, Juristat, February 2016
- Ranked 3rd for Design Patents in 2015, Ant-like Persistence, February 2016
- Ranked 7th for Utility Patents in 2015, Ant-like Persistence, February 2016
- Ranked 7th for Trademarks in 2015, Ant-like Persistence, February 2016
- Ranked 6th for US Patents, IP Nexus, February 2016
- The Juristat Top 100 Patent Firms 2017
- US News and World Report's Best Law Firm, 2017
- US News and World Report's Best Lawyers, 2016
- Nationally Ranked for Patent Litigation, Corporate Counsel
- The Legal 500 United States - Patents - prosecution (including re-examination and post grant proceedings), The Legal 500 United States 2016
- Best IP Prosecution and Counseling Law Firm - USA, Acquisition International's IP Awards, 2016
- 2016 Intellectual Property Practitioner of the Year, USA, Acquisition International, 2016
- The Top 100 Firms for Minority Attorneys, Law 360, May 2016
- Corporate IP Law Firm in Connecticut, Global Law Experts, 2016
- Litigation Department of the Year - Intellectual Property, The Connecticut Law Tribune, May 2014
- IP Stars, Managing Intellectual Property, 2013-2016
- Who's Who Legal 100, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
- Client Choice Award, 2013, 2015
Our attorneys and agents are exceptionally experienced in all areas of IP law, including:
- Filing and Prosecution
- Strategic IP Portfolio Development and Management
- Trademarks and Copyrights
- Trade Secrets
- Transactional, Licensing, and Technology Transfer
- Design Patents
- Due Diligence in IP Acquisitions
- Post-Grant Practice
- Patent Landscaping and Risk Analysis
Our legal skills are supported by our considerable in-depth technical knowledge and experience. Most of the attorneys have undergraduate or graduate degrees in such fields as biochemistry, chemical engineering, mechanical engineering, microbiology, neuroscience, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, civil engineering, computer science, and environmental engineering.
Our clients are leaders in cutting-edge, high-tech fields such as aerospace, biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, telecommunications, medical instrumentation, optics, software, and chemical engineering – and we understand what drives their businesses. They benefit from our first-hand experience gained from our partners that were formerly in-house attorneys at corporations that engaged in significant research and development.
It is through our uncommon combination of technical, scientific, business, and legal experience that we are able to help our clients achieve their IP objectives – and succeed in today’s competitive marketplace.