- U.S. Supreme Court, 2011
U.S. District Court, District of Connecticut, 2007
State Courts of Connecticut, 2007
- JD, Honors Certificate in Intellectual Property Law, University of Connecticut School of Law, 2005
- Certificate in International Intellectual Property Law, Tulane University Law School, 2002
- Bachelor of Arts, cum laude, in English and Education, University of Massachusetts Amherst, 1997
- University of Connecticut School of Law, Associate Professor, Legal Issues in Cyberspace, Trademark Law, and Intellectual Property and Entrepreneurship Law Clinic
Nancy manages domestic and international trademark, copyright, trade dress, domain name and other cyberlaw matters. She concentrates her practice on conducting trademark clearance searches and rendering opinions on availability and registrability; prosecuting applications for registration at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and the U.S. Copyright Office; recording registrations with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security Office of Customs and Border Protection; and representing clients in disputes before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board. She also counsels clients on the strategic use, policing, and enforcement of intellectual property to protect the investment in products, services, and ideas from the concept stage to the marketplace.
At the University of Connecticut School of Law, Nancy teaches Cyberlaw and Trademark Law. She has also been Supervising Attorney at UConn Law's Intellectual Property and Entrepreneurship Law Clinic.
- Counsel, Cantor Colburn LLP, 2021-present
- Partner, Alix, Yale & Ristas, LLP, 2005-2020
- April 7, 2022
Cantor Colburn’s Women’s Initiative hosted the Hartford Area AIPLA Women in IP Global Networking Event on April 7, 2022 at Parkville Market in Hartford.
- June 1, 2021
Cantor Colburn LLP announces that Nancy Kennedy has joined the firm as Counsel in its Trademark & Copyright Practice, ranked #8 in the U.S. Ms. Kennedy brings more than 15 years’ expertise in intellectual property, concentrating on all aspects of trademark and copyright law, trade dress, and cyberlaw matters.
- June 11, 2022Hartford, Connecticut
UConn Law celebrate its past, present, and future at its Centennial Gala on June 11, 2022 in Hartford. The Gala is a culmination of centennial celebration events, at which the important work alumni have done thought the state, country and world will be recognized.
- April 30, 2022Washington, D.C.
INTA’s Annual Meeting Live+ is in-person and virtual. Taking place over April 30–May 4, 2022 in Washington, D.C., the annual conference of the International Trademark Association brings together the most influential brand and intellectual property professionals from across the globe and across industries.
- April 7, 2022Hartford, Connecticut
Cantor Colburn is pleased to host the AIPLA's Women in IP Law Virtual Global Networking event on April 7, 2022. The event, Power Happy Hour: Finding Balance, Building Community, will feature a short discussion around the important issue for women of feeling empowered and engaging in community.
- October 7, 2021
- July 21, 2021Farmington, Connecticut
Trademark and copyright Counsel Nancy Kennedy will attend the forum, The Business of Cannabis: Cultivating a Ninety-Million Dollar Market in the Nutmeg State, presented by the Hartford Business Journal and New Haven Biz. This forum will focus on the business in this emerging industry that faces unique issues, especially while the consumption of marijuana remains prohibited at the federal level, and explore how Connecticut businesses can capitalize on this emerging industry while navigating the constantly evolving matrix of state compliance regulations.
- Law360 Cannabis Editorial Advisory Board, 2022
- Intellectual Property Owners Association, U.S. Trademark Law Committee, 2022-23 term
- International Trademark Association
- National Association of Women Lawyers
- Court-Appointed Animal Advocate, 2018-present