- Due Diligence in IP Acquisitions
- Foreign & PCT Patent Filing
- Invalidity Opinions
- IP Transactional
- Non-infringement Opinions
- Patent Landscaping and Risk Analysis
- Patentability Opinions
- Product Clearance
- Right to Practice Opinions
- Strategic IP Portfolio Development and Management
- Transfers, Mergers, Acquisitions, Bankruptcies and Securitizations
- Utility, Design, and Plant Patent Filing with the USPTO
- Aerospace & Aeronautics
- Automotive Technology
- Chemical Engineering
- Environmental Engineering
- Food Science
- Mechanical Engineering
- Medical Devices
- Metallurgy & Ceramics
- Polymer & Materials Science
- Semiconductor Devices & Processing Methods
- IP Stars, Managing IP, Connecticut, USA, 2013-2022
- The Connecticut Technology Council Women of Innovation 2014 Finalist
- Women in the Law – High Achievers, Connecticut Law Tribune, 2009, 2010
- State of Connecticut, 2002
- United States Court of Appeals Federal Circuit, 2000
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 1991
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 1991
Western New England College School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 1991
Worcester Polytechnic Institute, B.S., Chemical Engineering, 1988
Pamela J. Curbelo
Pam Curbelo became Of Counsel in 2019 having worked at Cantor Colburn for twenty-two years, retiring as Co-Chair of the Chemical, Materials, and Life Sciences Department. Pam has extensive experience working closely with foreign and domestic clients, as well as with a network of foreign associates, to devise and implement effective IP strategies; to prepare and prosecute U.S. and international patent applications; to draft and negotiate IP agreements; and to prepare clearance, non-infringement, and invalidity opinions.
She is a former in-house IP counsel with United Technologies Corporation. She has a unique perspective and deep technical knowledge with clients from a broad spectrum of industries ranging from polymers, processing, catalysis, automotive, and environmental engineering to telecommunications, additive manufacturing, and aerospace. Pam has twice been designated a Woman of the Law High Achiever by the Connecticut Law Tribune.
Of Counsel, Cantor Colburn LLP, 2019-present
Partner, Cantor Colburn LLP, 1998-2019
United Technologies Corporation, 1988-1998
- Intellectual Property Attorney, 1998-1991
- Patent Agent, 1991
- Consultant, 1988-1991
- June 1, 2020
- June 14, 2019
- Legal 500 USA 2018June 4, 2018
Cantor Colburn LLP has been recommended as a Leading Firm by the Legal 500 United States 2018 in Intellectual Property for Patents: prosecution (including re-examination and post-grant proceedings). This is the ninth consecutive year that Cantor Colburn has been recognized for this highly selective honor.
- May 3, 2018
Six Cantor Colburn partners were selected as IP Stars in the 2018 World IP Survey by Managing Intellectual Property. Cantor Colburn was recognized as a “highly recommended” intellectual property (IP) law firm in the state of Connecticut, where the firm is headquartered.
Co-Managing Partners Michael Cantor and Philmore Colburn were listed in Connecticut, as were Pamela Curbelo, David Fox, and Leah Reimer, Ph.D. All are Patent Stars and Mr. Colburn is additionally a Trademark Star.
- Connecticut Law TribuneMarch 17, 2014
- March 5, 2014
Pamela J. Curbelo, Partner and Co-Chair of Cantor Colburn’s Chemical, Material and Life Sciences Department, is named a finalist by the Connecticut Technology Council in the Women of Innovation Award in the Small Business Innovation and Leadership category. The tenth annual Women of Innovation Awards will be held on March 27th at The Aquaturf in Southington, Connecticut. This prestigious award program recognizes the energy, creativity and remarkable capabilities of women working in Connecticut's science and technology community.
- Connecticut Law TribuneFebruary 6, 2012
- Connecticut Law TribuneOctober 11, 2010
- May 2, 2019New York City
Andy Ryan will be a panelist at the Joint Patent Practice CLE on May 2, 2019 in New York City. His panel will be on patents found invalid under Section 112 for lack of written description and enablement, including the cases D Three Enterprises, LLC V. Sunmodo Corporation et al 2017-1909 et al (Fed. Cir.) May 21, 2018 and Trustees of Boston University v. Everlight Electronics Co., LTD, et al, 2016-2576 (Fed. Cir. July 25, 2018). \
- May 25, 2018Wilbraham, Massachusetts
Cantor Colburn attorneys and Western New England University (WNEU) Alumni Phil Colburn, Pamela Curbelo, Jim Merrick and Jim Wimpe will attend the 50th Annual WNEU Alumni Golf Tournament at the Country Club of Wilbraham in Wilbraham, Massachusetts. Cantor Colburn is a long-time supporter of the tournament, which benefits the WNEU Alumni Association Golf Tournament Endowed Scholarship.
- November 9, 2017Seattle, Washington
The Women in Law and IP Summit: Seattle conference will take place on November 9, 2017 in Seattle, Washington. Partner and Co-Chair of the Chemical, Materials, and Life Sciences Department Pamela Curbelo will attend.
- April 25, 2017Anlyan Center, Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut
Cantor Colburn is pleased to sponsor a CURE BioHaven event, "The Biopharmaceutical Industry’s Challenges in Drug Pricing" with Dr. John LaMattina, about drug pricing transparency.
Cantor Colburn is a member of CURE, Connecticut’s bioscience network. Dr. John LaMattina is currently a Senior Partner at PureTech Health, and is the former Senior Vice President of Pfizer Inc. and former President of Pfizer Global Research and Development.
- IP Roundtable, GC New England, Second Quarter 2010
American Bar Association
American Intellectual Property Law Association
Association Internationale pour la Protection de la Propriété Intellectuelle
Connecticut Bar Association
Connecticut Intellectual Patent Law Association
Intellectual Property Owners Association