- Strategic IP Portfolio Development and Management
- Trademark and Copyright Practice
- Connecticut Super Lawyers IP Litigation Rising Star, 2011
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 2010
- U.S. District Court, District of Connecticut, 2009
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado, 2009
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas, 2009
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan, 2008
- State of Connecticut, 2008
- U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts, 1997
- U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit, 1997
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 1996
Vermont Law School, J.D., 1996
- Academic Excellence Award in General Practice Program - Commercial Transactions
- Academic Excellence Award in Labor Law
- Teaching Assistant
Amherst College, B.A., Political Science and History, cum laude, 1993
- Thesis, Political Science, “America in Decline?”
- Varsity Football
- Adjunct Professor, Western New England University School of Law, Trademark and Unfair Competition Law
Tom Mango is a litigator with more than 20 years of experience handling intellectual property, unfair competition, and complex commercial litigation for both national and international clients across a wide variety of industries. His practice focuses on all aspects of opposition and cancellation proceedings at the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, trademark litigation in federal courts throughout the US, and global and/or complex trademark disputes. He also counsels clients regarding trademark portfolio protection, enforcement strategies, claim avoidance, and risk management.
Partner, Cantor Colburn LLP, 2017-present
Counsel, Cantor Colburn LLP, 2014-2016
Associate, Cantor Colburn LLP, 2006-2013
Associate, Rubin and Rudman LLP, Boston, MA, 2000-2005
Associate, Ferriter, Scobbo, Caruso & Rodophele, P.C., Boston, MA, 1996-1999
- MySpace, Inc. v. OurSpace.com Media, LLC, Opposition No. 91185197 (TTAB). Represented social media and entertainment company. After discovery, negotiated favorable settlement for our client.
- Speed Channel, Inc. v. Phoenix 2008 LLC, Opposition No. 91189418 (TTAB). Represented Cable Network. After considerable discovery, the applicant expressly abandoned four applications at issue.
- SABIC Innovative Plastics IP B.V. v. AY Tech LLC, Opposition No. 91202966 (TTAB). Represented petrochemical manufacturer. Obtained default judgment for our client.
Amerifit Inc. v. Metagenics Inc., Civil Case No. 3:10-cv-00596-JCH (D. Conn.). Represented nutritional supplement company. After discovery, negotiated favorable settlement for our client.
- Managed Air Systems LLC v. New England Booth & Equipment, Inc., Civil Case No. 3:10-cv-01343-MRK (D.Conn.). Represented spray booth and paint booth distributor. After complaint was filed, negotiated favorable settlement for our client.
- Premier Horticulture Ltd. v. Omex Agriculture Inc., Opposition No. 91201179 (TTAB). Represented manufacturer of horticultural and agricultural products. After notice of opposition was filed, negotiated favorable settlement for our client.
- Dreamwell, Ltd. v. Sheex, Inc., Opposition No. 91208090 (TTAB). Represented mattress manufacturer and distributor. Obtained default judgment for our client.
- OSRAM SYLVANIA Inc. v. SCRAM Technologies, Inc., Opposition No. 91207691 (TTAB). Represented lighting products company. Obtained default judgment for our client.
- Innovation Ventures, LLC v. Maximum Human Performance, LLC, Opposition No. 91201227 (TTAB). Represent supplement company attempting to register the mark 8 HOUR ALERT over objections by owner of 5 HOUR ENERGY.
- The Fairfield Processing Corporation v. JS Fiber Co., Inc., Civil Case No. 5:12-cv-00019-RLV-DCK (W.D.N.C.). Represent craft product manufacture enforcing the mark POLY-FIL.
“In registering trademark, full disclosure advised,” by Steven M. Coyle and Thomas J. Mango, November 2008, New England In-House
- Law360April 28, 2017
- December 19, 2016
- Law360April 10, 2015
On April 10, 2015, IP Law360 published Curt Krechevsky and Tom Mango's article, "Giving DuPont Its Due: How B&B Hardware Empowers TTAB," on the recent U.S. Supreme Court ruling in B&B Hardware, Inc. v. Hargis Industries, Inc. Krechevsky, a partner, chairs the firm's Trademark & Copyright Department and has more than 30 years' experience in IP law. Mango, who is litigator specializing in Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (“TTAB”) proceedings, is part of the firm's Trademark and Litigation Departments.
- Law360March 25, 2015
Thomas Mango and other the attorneys commented on the Supreme Court's March 24, 2015 Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB) Preclusion Ruling in B&B Hardware Inc. v. Hargis Industries Inc.in Law360.
Mango, who is Counsel in the firm's Litigation and Trademark & Copyright Departments, focuses on all aspects of inter partes practice at the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board for opposition and cancellation proceedings. He also litigates trademark infringement, trade dress, and unfair competition cases in federal courts throughout the United States.
- Connecticut Law TribuneMay 2014
Cantor Colburn was named Litigation Department of the Year in the Intellectual Property category by the Connecticut Law Tribune.
Cantor Colburn’s litigators have decades of trial experience, presenting technically complex matters to judges and juries, and work collaboratively with their patent colleagues who are highly educated and expert in a wide variety of technologies. The Law Tribune described Cantor Colburn as “a law firm… and a haven for scientists.”
- January 1, 2014
Cantor Colburn LLP, one of the nation’s leading intellectual property law firms, welcomes the new year with the election of four partners and two counsels. Dave S. Christensen, Daniel R. Gibson, M. Brad Lawrence, and Leslie- Anne Maxwell, Ph.D. have been elevated to partner, and Thomas J. Mango and Jeffrey L. Waters have been elevated to counsel.
- Cantor Colburn Attorneys Michelle P. Ciotola and Thomas J. Mango Named 2011 Rising Stars in Connecticut by Super LawyersNovember 8, 2011
- September 18, 2018Paris, France
Michelle Ciotola, Partner and Trademark & Copyright Department Vice Chair, Thomas Mango, Trademark Litigation Partner, and Alison Caless, Trademark Associate, will attend The MARQUES 32nd Annual Conference that takes place on September 18-21, 2018 in Paris, France. This year's conference theme is "Branding Style: Appearance, Aesthetics and Éclat." Many sessions will focus on topics such as branding, design and luxury goods.
- May 19, 2018Seattle, Washington
The 140th annual meeting of the International Trademark Association (INTA) will take place in Seattle, Washington from May 19-23, 2018. Nearly 10,000 intellectual property professionals from around the world will attend, including a large delegation from Cantor Colburn.
- April 25, 2016Hartford, Connecticut
Cantor Colburn is proud to be a returning sponsor of the UConn Health White Coat Gala, which honors the “white coats” worn by the men and women breaking new ground in the lab and providing exceptional, personalized patient care.
- Guest Lecturer, Massachusetts Association of Day Care AgenciesDecember 1, 2003
- Prepared and led seminar entitled “Preparing For and Dealing with Employee Claims”
American Bar Association
Connecticut Intellectual Property Law Association
Intellectual Property Owners Association (IPO)
International Trademark Association (INTA)
Massachusetts Bar Association
Board Member, Amherst Association of Central Connecticut, 2009 to present
Board Member, The GIFT Foundation, Inc., Boston, MA, 1999 to 2003