- Chemical and Material Sciences Practice
- Due Diligence in IP Acquisitions
- Energy Storage, Batteries, and Materials Practice
- Foreign & PCT Patent Filing
- Life Sciences Practice
- Patent Landscaping and Risk Analysis
- Product Clearance
- Strategic IP Portfolio Development and Management
- Technology Transfer
- Utility, Design, and Plant Patent Filing with the USPTO
- Chemical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Metallurgy & Ceramics
- Polymer & Materials Science
- Semiconductor Devices & Processing Methods
- National Research Council (NRC) Research Associate Fellowship, 2011-2013
- The 68th International Union of Vacuum Science Technique and Applications (IUVSTA) Workshop best poster presentation award – 2nd prize, 2012
- Department of Energy Research Assistantship, 2009-2010
- Graduate Assistance in Areas of National Needs (GAANN) fellowship, U.S. Department of Education, 2007-2009
- Scholarship for Studying Abroad as an Exchange Student, 2004-2005
- Scholarship for Excellence in Academic Studies, 2002-2003
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, Patent Agent, 2019
Brown University, Ph.D. in Inorganic Chemistry, 2010
Korea University, B.S. in Chemistry, 2006
- Teaching assistant for undergraduate level general chemistry laboratory, 2006 and graduate level inorganic chemistry laboratory, 2007
- Research mentor for 3 undergraduate students in chemistry laboratory, 2008-2010
Youngmin concentrates her practice on nanochemistry and renewable energy systems such as batteries and fuel cells, while her analytics experience spans across the areas of chemistry/polymer, advanced materials, chemical/mechanical engineering, biotechnology, food/beverage, telecommunication, optics, consumer goods, medical devices, electronics, IoT and artificial intelligence.
Prior to joining Cantor Colburn, Youngmin led or participated in numerous IP consulting projects including landscaping, portfolio development, risk analysis, technology scouting, prior art search and due diligence as an IP analyst. She also led technology transfer (licensing agreement negotiation) and patent strategy development at a bio-startup focused on organ-on-a-chip manufacture & drug delivery.
Beyond her IP practice, Youngmin has eight years of research experience including her doctoral research at Brown University centered on functional nanomaterial synthesis & applications, postdoctoral research at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and at the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) on Li-ion/Li-air batteries, fuel cells, and solar-to-hydrogen water-splitting systems.
• Patent Agent, Cantor Colburn LLP, 2022-present
• Director of Strategy and Patent Technology, Mepsgenlab Inc., 2020-2022
• Intellectual Property Analytics Leader, Perception Partners Inc., 2014-2019
• Independent Consultant, Korea Institute of Science & Technology Evaluation and Planning (KISTEP), 2014-2015
• NRC Postdoctoral Research Associate, National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), 2011-2014
• Postdoctoral Research Associate, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), 2010-2011
• Research Assistant, Brown University, 2006-2010
‘Deconvoluting the Influences of 3D Structure on the Performance of Photoelectrodes for Solar-Driven Water Splitting’ D. V. Esposito+, Y. Lee+, H. P. Yoon, P. M. Haney, N. Y. Labrador, T. Moffat, A. A. Talin, V. A. Szalai, Sust. Energy Fuels, 2017, 1, 154.
‘Design Considerations for Enhancing Absorption in Semiconductors on Metals Through Surface Plasmon Polariton’ C. D. Bohn, A. Agrawal, Y. Lee, C. J. Choi, M. S. Davis, P. M. Haney, H. J. Lezec, V. A. Szalai, Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 2014, 16, 6084.
‘High-Resolution Photocurrent Microscopy Using Near-Field Cathodoluminescence of Quantum Dots’ H. P. Yoon, Y. Lee, C. D. Bohn, S-H. Ko, A. G. Gianfrancesco, J. S. Steckel, S. Coe-Sullivan, A. A. Talin, N. B. Zhitenev, AIP Adv. 2013, 3, 062112.
‘Synthesis and Activities of Rutile IrO2 and RuO2 Nanoparticles for Oxygen Evolution in Acid and Alkaline Solutions’ Y. Lee+, J. Suntivich+, K. J. May, E. E. Perry, Y. Shao-Horn, J. Phys. Chem. Lett., 2012, 3, 399.
‘Self-Standing Positive Electrodes of Oxidized Few-Walled Carbon Nanotubes for Light-Weight and High-Power Lithium Batteries’ S. W. Lee, B. M. Gallant, Y. Lee, N. Yoshida, D. Y. Kim, Y. Yamada, S. Noda, A. Yamada, Y. Shao-Horn, Energy Environ. Sci., 2012, 5, 5437.
‘Non-Crystallographic Atomic Arrangement Driven Enhancement of the Catalytic Activity of Au Nanoparticles’ V. Petkov, Y. Lee, S. Sun, Y. Ren, J. Phys. Chem. C, 2012, 116, 26668.
‘Synthetic Tuning of the Catalytic Properties of Au-Fe3O4 Nanoparticles’ Y. Lee, M. A. Garcia, N. A. F. Huls, S. Sun, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2010, 49, 1271.
‘Surface- and Structure-Dependent Catalytic Activity of Au Nanoparticles for Oxygen Reduction Reaction’ Y. Lee, A. Loew, S. Sun, Chem. Mater. 2010, 22, 755.
‘Structurally Ordered FePt Nanoparticles and Their Enhanced Catalysis for Oxygen Reduction Reaction’ J. Kim, Y. Lee, S. Sun, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2010, 132, 4996.
‘Recent Development of Active Nanoparticle Catalysts for Fuel Cell Reactions’ V. Mazumder, Y. Lee, S. Sun, Adv. Funct. Mater. 2010, 20, 1224.
‘From Core/Shell Structured FePt/Fe3O4/MgO to Ferromagnetic FePt Nanoparticles’ J. Kim, C. Rong, Y. Lee, J. Liu, S. Sun, Chem. Mater. 2008, 20, 7242.
‘A Facile Synthesis of Monodisperse Au Nanoparticles and Their Catalysis for CO Oxidation’ S. Peng, Y. Lee, C. Wang, H. Yin, S. Dai, S. Sun, Nano Res. 2008, 1, 229.
‘Synthesis of Monodisperse Pt Nanocubes and Their Enhanced Catalysis for Oxygen Reduction’ C. Wang, H. Daimon, Y. Lee, J. Kim, S. Sun, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2007, 129, 6974.
- March 1, 2022
‘Photoelectrochemical Water-Splitting with Plasmonic Al-based Nanostructures’ Y. Lee, C. D. Bohn, H.P. Yoon, T. Xu, E. Walter, E. Pomerantseva, R. Ghodssi, H. Lezec, V. A. Szalai, A. A. Talin, 20th Annual Sigma Xi Postdoctoral Poster Presentation, National Institute of Standards and Technology, Gaithersburg, MD February 27, 2013
‘Plasmonically Enhanced Photoelectrochemical Water-Splitting with Al-based Nanostructures’ Y. Lee, C. Bohn, T. Xu, E. Walter, E. Pomerantseva, R. Ghodssi, H. Lezec, V. Szalai, A. A. Talin, 68th IUVSTA Workshop (Multifunctional Surface Engineering for Advanced Energy Applications), City University of Hong Kong, December 9-13, 2012.
‘Development of Composite Nanocatalysts and Their Enhanced Electrocatalytic Activity’ Y. Lee, J. Kim, Y-C. Lu, Y. Shao-Horn, S. Sun, Materials Research Society (MRS) 2010 Fall Meeting, Boston, MA, November 29 – December 3, 2010.
‘Solution Phase Synthesis of Nanoparticles and their Catalytic Applications’ (invited) Y. Lee, S. Sun, National Institute of Standards and Technology, Center for Nanoscale Science and Technology, Energy Research Group Seminar, Gaithersburg, MD, May 12, 2010.
‘Solution Phase Synthesis of Nanoparticles and their Catalytic Applications’ (invited) Y. Lee, S. Sun, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Mechanical Engineering Department, Electrochemical Energy Laboratory Seminar, Cambridge, MA, May 7, 2010.
‘Solution Phase Synthesis of Nanoparticles and their Catalytic Applications’ (invited) Y. Lee, S. Sun, Sandia National Laboratory, The Energy Nanomaterials Department Seminar, Livermore, CA, April 14, 2010.
‘Solution Phase Synthesis of Nanoparticles and their Catalytic Applications’ (invited) Y. Lee, S. Sun, Brook Haven National Laboratory, Chemistry Department Seminar, Upton, NY, April 6, 2010.
‘Synthesis of Composite Nanoparticles and their Electrocatalytic Applications’ Y. Lee, J. Kim, S. Peng, S. Sun, Gordon Research Conference (Electrochemistry) 2010, Ventura, CA, January 10-15, 2010.
‘Synthesis of Monodisperse Au, Au-Fe3O4 Composite Nanoparticles and their Applications’ Y. Lee, S. Peng, C. Xu, S. Sun, Materials Research Society (MRS) 2009 Spring Meeting, San Francisco, CA, April 13 - 17, 2009.
‘Synthesis of Dumbbell- like Au-Fe3O4 Nanoparticles and their Applications’ Y. Lee, C. Xu, S. Peng, S. Sun, IEEE Magnetic Society Summer School 2008, University of Colorado at Colorado Springs, CO, August 3 - 9, 2008.
‘Synthesis of Fe3O4-NM (NM: Au, Ag, AuAg) Dumbbell-like Nanoparticles’ Y. Lee, C. Wang, S. Peng, S. Sun, Materials Research Society (MRS) 2007 Fall Meeting, Boston, MA, November 26 - 30, 2007.
Intellectual Property Owners Association