USPTO Design Day
USPTO Design Day took place on Tuesday, April 25 at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) in Alexandria, Virginia. The free seminar was attended by USPTO Design Examiners, Managers, Design Patent Practitioners and Industrial Designers from across the country.
Cantor Colburn is the fourth largest filer of design patents in the country and several of our attorneys attend Design Day every year.
- Meeting the new director of Tech Center 2900
- Developments at the USPTO including updates on ID5 and the Design Law Treaty initiatives
- Demonstration of the 3D image filing system used by the Korean Intellectual Property Office
- Return of the popular Patent Prosecution Best Practices Panel where experienced practitioners and USPTO examiners discuss recent examination and prosecution trends
- Tag team presentation from an industrial designer and in-house counsel about strategic protection of designs
- Distinguished panel discussing evolving design IP in the context of fashion trends
- Mock argument illustrating some implications of prosecution on claim interpretation and enforcement after a patent issues
- Popular case law wrap-up summarizing important design patent decisions over the past year, including Apple v. Samsung and recent design patent decisions from the PTAB
This event was co-sponsored by AIPLA, the IP Law Section of the American Bar Association (ABA-IPL), the Intellectual Property Owners Association (IPO), and the Industrial Designers Society of America (IDSA); and the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO).