- Aerospace & Aeronautics
- Mechanical Engineering
- Additive Manufacturing
- Due Diligence in IP Acquisitions
- Post Grant Practice
- Managing IP, IP Stars, Connecticut, USA, 2013-2017
- Trustee of the Year, Brightside for Families and Children, West Springfield, MA, 1995
- Western Mass Pro Bono Referral Certificate of Accommodation for pro bono legal work, 1989
- Martindale-Hubbell BV(T) Rated
- "Super Lawyers," Intellectual Property Litigation, Connecticut, 2017
- State of Connecticut, 1998
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 1988
- United States District Court, District of Connecticut, 1998
- United States District Court, District of Massachusetts, 1990
- United States District Court of Colorado, 2009
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York, 2010
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas, 2011
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, 1998
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, 2011
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, 2001
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, 2011
- United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit, 2015
- United States Tax Court, 1998
- United States Patent and Trademark Office, 1998
Western New England University School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 1988
Worcester Polytechnic Institute, B.S., Mechanical Engineering, 1985
- High Distinction
Certified Flight Instructor
Commercial multi-engine instrument rated pilot
Advanced Ground Instructor (AGI)
Cessna 500 Series Jet (SIC) Type License
For nearly thirty (30) years, Bill Cass has tried cases in state and federal courts involving technology. As former Co-Chair of Cantor Colburn’s Litigation Department for the fifteen years, he combined his extensive trial experience with his engineering education to present technically complex matters to judges and juries. He has also tried matters before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board. His cases involved complex technology, including medical devices, circuitry, mechanical engineering, material science, chemistry, and computer software. He defended Faro Technologies in a two-week patent infringement jury trial in an action brought by Nikon Metrology N.V. in Federal Court in Boston involving laser scanners. Bill was retained in the Springfield gas explosion case (which destroyed several buildings in 2012). A complete list of his representative matters is set forth below.
Bill holds a mechanical engineering degree from Worcester Polytechnic Institute, where he concentrated in robotics. He is also a certified flight instructor (CFI), holds a commercial multi-engine instrument rating, a Cessna Citation 500 Series Jet SIC rating, and advises clients in aviation-related matters. Bill has spoken on topics concerning intellectual property and products liability internationally at EuroMold, IVA Sweden, Rapid (SME), and also at a White House Symposium on Additive Manufacturing. Bill is also an inventor on a pending patent application involving electronic controls.
Of Counsel, Cantor Colburn LLP, May 2017-present
Partner, Cantor Colburn LLP, 2002-April 2017
Associate, Cantor Colburn LLP, 1997-2002
Partner, Ryan, Martin, Costello, Leiter, Steiger & Cass, Springfield, MA, 1990-1997
Associate, Ryan & White P.C., Springfield, MA, 1988-1990
- Bill has litigated numerous cases. Representative examples are listed below.
- Ciocca Construction Corporation v. Bay State Gas Company d/b/a Columbia Gas of Massachusetts, et al., Case No.: 15-704 (gas explosion) (negligence/property damage/unfair acts and practices in the business of insurance)
- Pets BKG, LLC d/b/a Petland Kennesaw v. Paul, Case No. 15-1-7596-40 (business disparagement)
- Stratasys Inc. v. Microboards Technology, LLC d/b/a Afinia, Case No.: 0:13-cv-03228 (DWF/TNL) (patent infringement)
- Protegrity Corporation v. Epicor Software Corporation (n/k/a Aptos, Inc.), Case No.: 3:13-cv-01781-VAB (patent infringement)
- Thermolife International LLC v. Better Body Sports, LLC, et al., Case No.: CV-12-09229 GAF (FFMx)) (biochemical supplement relating to D-Aspartic Acid) (patent infringement)
- Romag Fasteners, Inc. v. Fossil, Inc., et al., Case No.: 3:10-cv-1827(JBA) (patent infringement, trademark infringement, false designation of origin, and unfair competition)
- Nikon Metrology N.V., et al. v. Faro Technologies, Inc., Case No.: 08-CV-11187 (PBS) (portable coordinate measuring machine - integrated arm and laser scanner) (patent infringement)
- Protegrity Corporation v. Ingrian Networks, Inc., et al., Case No.: 3:08-cv-00618 (RNC) (data security system/encryption database) (patent infringement)
- Faro Technologies, Inc. v. Cimcore Corporation, et al., Case No. 6:06-cv-00031-GAP-JGG (EEPROM circuit boards in coordinate measuring machines) (patent infringement)
- Faro Technologies, Inc. v. Cimcore Corporation, et al., Case No.: 6:05-cv-01702-GAP-JGG (integrated bus for a coordinate measuring machine) (patent infringement)
- Cimcore Corporation, et al. v. Faro Technologies, Inc., Case No.: 3:03-cv-2355-B-WMC (slip rings in coordinate measuring machines) (patent infringement)
- Interventional Therapies, LLC, et al. v. Abbott Laboratories, et al., Case No. 6:03-cv-06644-MAT-JWF (vascular suturing device) (patent infringement)
- Sicurelli, et al. v. Jeneric/Pentron Inc., et al., Case No. 1:03-cv-4934-SLT-KAM (dental composite implant for root canal therapy) (patent infringement)
- Aearo Company, et al. v. Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing Company, Case No.: IP99-0937-C D/F (hearing protection device) (patent infringement)
- 3D Ltd. v. Crown Roll Leaf, Inc., Case No. 2:99-cv-00290-WGB (holographic patterns) (copyright infringement)
- Jeneric/Pentron, Inc. v. Dillon Co. Inc., et al., Case Nos. 3:98-CV-00818-EBB and 3:99-cv-011775 (EBB) (leucite crystalline porcelain for dental restoration) (patent infringement)
- World Properties, Inc. and Rogers Corporation v. Tonoga Limited d/b/a Taconic Plastics Civil Action No.: 3:98-CV-01218-(JBA) LEAD (microwave circuit board laminate) (patent litigation)
- Whelihan v. Markowski, et al., 37 Mass. App. Ct. 209 (1994) (negligence/personal injury)
- October 17, 2017
Cantor Colburn is pleased to announce that seven attorneys from its Hartford office were named to the 2017 list of Connecticut Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
- Bloomberg BNAAugust 23, 2017
Bloomberg BNA published "Pathways to FDA Approval for 3-D Printed Medical Devices," written by William J. Cass, Of Counsel at Cantor Colburn. The article appeared in its Electronic Commerce & Law Report on August 23, 2017.
- May 30, 2017
- 3DPrint.comApril 6, 2017
- 3DPrint.comNovember 4, 2016
3DPrint.com published the article entitled, "Can Your Trademark Fall?" on November 4, 2016, written by Cantor Colburn attorneys Bill Cass and Adam Bercowetz, which discusses the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office’s decision to cancel six federally registered trademarks assigned to the Washington Redskins and the impact as a result of the cancellation.
- Bloomberg BNASeptember 28, 2016
William Cass was quoted in the September 28, 2016 Bloomberg BNA article, "3-D Printing Leaps Ahead of Product Liability Law."
- The Cass ReportSeptember 2, 2016
- 3DPrint.comAugust 8, 2016
3DPrint.com published Bill Cass’ article entitled, “Avoiding the On-Sale Patent Bar,” on August 8, 2016, wherein Bill discusses the timing between applying for a patent relative to the first sale of the product. As Bill discusses in further detail, what constitutes a sale under the patent statutes may be a matter of the court’s interpretation.
- The Cass ReportAugust 5, 2016
- 3DPrint.comJuly 5, 2016
3DPrint.com published Cantor Colburn Partner Bill Cass’ article, "The Supreme Court Writes a New Chapter on Patent Damages" on July 5, 2016.
- 3DPrint.comMay 10, 2016
Bill Cass and Sandy Shaner have co-authored the article, "3D Bioprinting of Tissues and Organs: Where Are We?", published on 3DPrint.com on May 10, 2016.
- April 19, 2016
In addition to frequently representing clients pro bono, Cantor Colburn LLP is proud to be a sponsor of the Pro Bono Partnership for the seventh consecutive year. The Pro Bono Partnership provides free business and transactional legal services to nonprofits serving the disadvantaged or enhancing the quality of life in neighborhoods in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut.
- Law360February 4, 2015
- October 29, 2014
William Cass, partner at Cantor Colburn LLP, intellectual property attorneys, will present “Global Strategies for Intellectual Property Protection in Additive Manufacturing” at the Inside 3D Printing Conference and Expo on November 4, 2014 in Shanghai, China. The annual event is the leading business-to-business trade show for the 3D printing industry.
- Research-Technology ManagementSeptember 1, 2014
Partner Bill Cass and co-author Thomas Kurfess wrote "Rethinking Additive Manufacturing and Intellectual Property Protection," published in the September-October 2014 issue of Research-Technology Management. Cass co-chairs the firm's Additive Manufacturing Practice Group and is a frequent speaker on the topic.
- August 1, 2014
Eight Cantor Colburn attorneys were selected as IP Stars in the 2014 World IP Survey
by Managing Intellectual Property.
- Connecticut Law TribuneMay 2014
Cantor Colburn was named Litigation Department of the Year in the Intellectual Property category by the Connecticut Law Tribune.
Cantor Colburn’s litigators have decades of trial experience, presenting technically complex matters to judges and juries, and work collaboratively with their patent colleagues who are highly educated and expert in a wide variety of technologies. The Law Tribune described Cantor Colburn as “a law firm… and a haven for scientists.”
- Law360April 2014
Law360 quoted Cantor Colburn’s William J. Cass on the Supreme Court decision over the Highmark Inc. v. Allcare Health Management Systems Inc. and Octane Fitness LLC v. Icon Health & Fitness Inc. cases.
- ForbesJanuary 3, 2014
Cantor Colburn partner William Cass was quoted in the January 3, 2014 Forbes article, "Afinia Refuses To Buckle Down Against Stratasys; Claims Patent Misuse." Cantor Colburn represents Afinia in the case regarding 3D printing technology.
- Scientific AmericanDecember 5, 2013
William J. Cass co-authored and article with Thomas A. Campbell, "3-D Printing Will Be a Counterfeiter's Best Friend, Why we need to rethink intellectual property for the era of additive manufacturing," published online by the Scientific American on December 5, 2013. Cass co-chairs the firm's Litigation Department and the Additive Manufacturing Practice Group.
- Corporate CounselOctober 2013
Cantor Colburn was nationally ranked for patent litigation by Corporate Counsel magazine in its October 2013 issue. Cantor Colburn’s dedicated team of litigation attorneys have decades of experience in presenting technically complex matters for trial in front of judges and juries. A partner participates in every facet of the case, bringing results that count for the client. And at each phase of the litigation, Cantor Colburn seeks practical strategies to achieve a prompt, efficient resolution of the dispute.
- October 11, 2013
A federal judge in the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California invalidated a nutritional supplement patent held by Plaintiff Thermolife International LLC and granted summary judgment to a host of Defendants. Thermolife has filed more than 100 patent infringement suits concerning such supplements in various jurisdictions since 2012. Cantor Colburn partner Jeffery B. Arnold, who specializes in pharmaceutical and nutritional supplement litigation and intellectual property protection, coordinated a joint defense effort among several of the defendants, resulting in a cost-effective defense for the respective clients. Cantor Colburn Partner and Litigation Practice Co-Chair William J. Cass argued the case on behalf of the defendants in the proceeding.
- October 10, 2013
Cantor Colburn LLP has been recognized by 10 different organizations and publications- which heralded 14 attorneys in particular- for excellence in their work in 2013. The Legal 500 has applauded the firm for its “solid reputation in the market of providing an excellent level of service, and having an excellent value for money.” From accolades for the firm as a whole to specific recognition of Cantor Colburn attorneys in diverse practice areas within the field of intellectual property, the firm has enjoyed an abundance of recognition in 2013.
- Connecticut Law TribuneSeptember 10, 2012
- Connecticut Law TribuneSeptember 3, 2012
- Hartford Business JournalAugust 14, 2012
- Corporate CounselJune 1, 2012
- Firm Founder's Death Launches Rash Of LitigationThe Connecticut Law TribuneMarch 14, 2011
- The Connecticut Law TribuneDecember 27, 2010
- Online Interview with Peter Marx of Legal Insight on "Qualcomm v. Broadcomm"
- The Connecticut Law TribuneMarch 17, 2003
- In 1990, Bill Cass represented a tenant in a landlord/tenant dispute under the Massachusetts consumer practice statute arising from defective conditions that caused her injuryThe case was reported in the Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly 22 M.L.W. 2635 September 5, 1994 and is still frequently cited as precedent.
- March 3, 2017Stanford Law School, Stanford, California
- January 24, 2017Tokyo, Japan
On January 24, 2017, Bill Cass, Co-Chair of the Litigation Department, and Daniel Lent, the Japanese Practice Group Chair, spoke to 30 members of the Institute of Intellectual Property in Tokyo regarding: USPTO Post Grant Procedures, Obtaining Attorney Fees Awards in Federal Court for Proceedings Before The USPTO including Reissue, Re-examination, and PTAB Proceedings, Useful USPTO Pilot Programs, the Collaborative Search Pilot Outreach, and Recent rulings of the U.S. Supreme Court and the Federal Circuit.
- October 7, 2016New York, New York
- September 28, 2016Arlington, Virginia
Bill Cass will speak at the Additive Manufacturing for Defense and Aerospace Conference on Designing Additive Manufacturing Airworthiness Certification Standards in Arlington, Virginia in September 28, 2016.
- June 22, 2016Seoul, Korea
- April 10, 2016New York, New York
William Cass spoke at the Inside 3D Printing Conference & Expo in New York City on April 10-12, 2016. Bill will speak about the "New Ideas in 3D Printing."
- October 22, 2015Stockholm, Sweden
Cantor Colburn Partner and Litigation Department Co-Chair William Cass will attend the Royal Swedish Academy of Engineering Sciences (IVA) Science and Society Forum, “3D Printing – Beyond the Tipping Point.” He will make a presentation entitled, "Legal Challenges in Additive Manufacturing" and then be part of a panel discussion on the subject.
- September 22, 2015Dusseldorf, Germany
William Cass will present the session, "IP in an Additive World" at Euromold 2015 on September 24, 2015 in Dusseldorf, Germany.
- May 13, 2015New Haven, Connecticut
The IP Inn of Court for Connecticut was inaugurated on May 13, 2015. The Inn was inaugurated when Federal Circuit Judge Richard Linn presented District of Connecticut Judge Janet Bond Arterton with the charter of the Inn.
Cantor Colburn's Michael Cantor, Co-Managing Partner, and Nicholas Geiger, Litigation Associate, are officers of the IP Inn. Other Cantor Colburn attorneys who are charter members are Bud Bedingfield, Adam Bercowetz, Christopher Boehm, and Tasia Perkins.
- January 27, 2015Singapore
Partner William Cass will present "Global Strategies for Intellectual Property in Additive Manufacturing" at the Inside 3D Printing Conference and Expo January 27-28, 2015, in Singapore.
Cass co-chairs Cantor Colburn's Additive Manufacturing Practice Group and is a frequent speaker and author on the topic in relation to intellectual property.
- November 4, 2014Shanghai, China
Partner William Cass will present "Global Strategies for Intellectual Property in Additive Manufacturing" at the Inside 3D Printing Conference and Expo on November 4, 2014, in Shanghai, China.
- October 1, 2013Singapore, Marina Bay Sands
Inside 3D Printing Conference & Expo is the first B2B 3D printing trade show in the Asia-Pacific region.
- RAPID 2013 ConferenceJune 10, 2013Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Rapid Prototyping ConferenceApril 9, 2013Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Penn Intellectual Property GroupMarch 29, 2013Philadelphia
Speaker, White House Symposium
State of the Art Reports and Patent Mapping
National Association of Flight Instructors (NAFI)
Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association
American Bar Association
Intellectual Property Owners Association, Litigation Committee Member
Connecticut IP Inn of Court, Charter Member
Member, Mechanical Engineering Advisory Board, Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Member, Bio-Mechanical Engineering Advisory Board, Western New England College