- Pharmaceuticals & Pharmaceutical Formulation
- Polymer & Materials Science
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award for Constitutional Law
- Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Inc. Intellectual Property Scholarship
- UConn Law Excellence Scholarship
- Connecticut, 2020
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 2020
University of Connecticut School of Law, JD with honors, 2020
University of Pune (National Chemical Laboratory, Pune), Ph.D. Chemistry, 2002
University of Pune, Master of Science, first class with distinction, 1996
University of Pune, Bachelor of Science, first class with distinction, 1994
- English, Hindi, Marathi
Vinay Thakur specializes in chemical and life science research with a particular emphasis on the pharmaceuticals and pharmaceutical formulations, organometallics, and polymers for global chemical companies. Prior to joining Cantor Colburn, Vinay rose to Principal Scientist at Melinta Therapeutics and gained experience in various aspects of pharmaceutical research and development, including SAR analysis, lead generation and lead optimization. Prior to joining Melinta, Vinay worked at Yale University as an Associate Research Scientist on a project to develop a novel NNRTIs with excellent activity profile against HIV-1 reverse transcriptase. He holds 5 patents in antibacterial drug development and chemical manufacturing processes, and he enjoys working with inventors to help them to protect their valuable discoveries. Vinay has also served on a referee panel of Royal Society of Chemistry, and Elsevier journals. Whenever his schedule permits, he volunteers at the New Haven Science Fair and Connecticut Science & Engineering fair.
Associate, Cantor Colburn LLP, 2020-present
Technical Advisor, Cantor Colburn LLP, 2019-2020
Principal Scientist, Melinta Therapeutics, 2010-2018
Associate Research Scientist, Yale University, 2008-2010
Postdoctoral Associate, Yale University, 2005-2008
Postdoctoral Associate, Rutgers University, 2003-2005
1. Somenath Chowdhury; Jianmin Mao; Jacek Martynow; He Zhao; Erin Duffy; Yusheng Wu; Vinay Thakur; Gopal Sirasani; Yuanqing Tang; Florine Collin; Sandra Sinishtaj; Ashoke Bhattacharjee “Diastereoselective Scalable Synthesis of 2, 6-trans-Piperidines using an aza-Michael Reaction” Tetrahedron Lett. 2019, 60, 371-374.
2. Mariela Bollini, Robert A. Domaoal, Vinay V. Thakur, Ricardo Gallardo-Macias, Krasimir A. Spasov, Karen S. Anderson, and William L. Jorgensen “Computationally-Guided Optimization of a Docking Hit to Yield Catechol Diethers as Potent Anti-HIV Agents” J. Med. Chem. 2011, 54, 8582-8591.
3. William L. Jorgensen, Mariela Bollini, Vinay V. Thakur, Robert A. Domaoal, Krasimir A. Spasov, and Karen S. Anderson “Efficient Discovery of Potent Anti-HIV Agents Targeting the Tyr181Cys Variant of HIV Reverse Transcriptase” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2011, 133, 15686-15696.
4. Kehinde Ajayi, Vinay V. Thakur, Robert C. Lapo, and Spencer Knapp, “Intramolecular alpha–Glucosaminidation: Synthesis of Mycothiol” Org. Lett. 2010, 12, 2630-2633.
5. Cheryl S. Leung, Jacob G. Zeevaart, Robert A. Domaoal, Mariela Bollini, Vinay V. Thakur, Karen S. Anderson, William L. Jorgensen “Eastern extension of azoles as non-nucleoside inhibitors of HIV 1 reverse transcriptase; cyano group alternatives” Bioorg. Med. Chem. Lett. 2010, 20, 2485-2488.
6. S. E. Nichols, R. A. Domaoal, Vinay V. Thakur, J. Tirado-Rives, K. S. Anderson, and W. L. Jorgensen, “Discovery of Wild-type and Y181C Mutant Non-nucleoside HIV-1 Reverse Transcriptase Inhibitors Using Virtual Screening with Multiple Protein Structures” J. Chem. Inf. Model. 2009, 49, 1272-1279.
7. J. G. Zeevaart, L. Wang, Vinay V. Thakur, C. Leung, J. Tirado-Rives, C. M. Bailey, R. A. Domaoal, K. S. Anderson, and W. L. Jorgensen, “Optimization of Azoles as Anti-HIV Agents Guided by Free-Energy Calculations” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2008, 130, 9492-9499.8. Vinay V. Thakur, A. S. Paraskar and A. Sudalai, “Asymmetric synthesis of (R)-(–)-baclofen via asymmetric dihydroxylation.” Indian Journal of Chemistry: Section B, 2007, 46B, 326-330.
9. Vinay V. Thakur, Joseph T. Kim, Andrew D. Hamilton, Christopher M. Bailey, Robert A. Domaoal, Ligong Wang, Karen S. Anderson and William L. Jorgensen, “Optimization of Pyrimidinyl- and Triazinyl-amines as Non-Nucleoside Inhibitors of HIV-1 Reverse Transcriptase.” Bioorg. Med. Chem. Lett. 2006, 16, 5664-5667.
10. Vinay V. Thakur, Spencer Knapp, Machender R. Madduru, Krishnan Malolanarasimhan, Gregori J. Morriello, George A. Doss, “Short Synthesis of Octosyl Nucleosides.” Org. Lett. 2006, 8, 1335-1337.
11. Vinay V. Thakur and A. Sudalai, “Asymmetric Synthesis of (S)--Arylpropionic Acids via Pd-Catalyzed Kinetic Resolution of Secondary Alcohols.” Indian Journal of Chemistry: Section B, 2005, 44B, 557-562.
12. Iliyas A. Sayyed, Vinay V. Thakur, Milind D. Nikalje, Gajanan K. Dewkar, S.P. Kotkar and A. Sudalai, “Asymmetric synthesis of aryloxypropanolamines via OsO4-catalyzed asymmetric dihydroxylation.” Tetrahedron 2005, 61, 2831-2838.
13. Vinay V. Thakur, N. S. C. Ramesh Kumar, A. Sudalai, “Sulfilimine Palladacycles: Stable and Efficient Catalysts for Carbon-Carbon Coupling Reactions.” Tetrahedron Lett. 2004, 45, 2915-2918.
14. Vinay V. Thakur, T. Siva Kumar, A. Sudalai, “Transition Metal-Catalyzed Regio- and Stereoselective Aminobromination of Olefins using TsNH2 and NBS as Nitrogen and Bromine Sources.” Org. Lett. 2003, 5, 861-864.
15. Vinay V. Thakur, Milind D. Nikalje, A. Sudalai, “Enantioselective synthesis of (R)-(–)-baclofen via Ru(II)-BINAP catalyzed asymmetric hydrogenation.” Tetrahedron Asymmetry 2003, 14, 581-586.
16. Vinay V. Thakur and A. Sudalai, “WO3-30% H2O2-cinchona alkaloids: a new heterogeneous catalytic system for asymmetric oxidation of sulfides and kinetic resolution of racemic sulfoxides.” Tetrahedron Asymmetry 2003, 14, 407-410.
Included in Catalysts for the Fine Chemical Synthesis, 2007, Volume 5, 288-293, Regio- and Stereo-Controlled Oxidations and Reductions, Stanley M. Roberts (Editor), John Whittall (Editor).
17. Vinay V. Thakur and A. Sudalai, “N-Bromoamides as versatile catalysts for aziridination of olefins using Chloramine-T.” Tetrahedron Lett. 2003, 44, 989-992.
18. Vinay V. Thakur, Arumugam Sudalai, Suresh B. Waghmode, Subramanian Sivasankar, “Efficient liquid phase acylation of alcohols over basic ETS-10 molecular sieves.” Tetrahedron Lett. 2001, 42, 3145-3147.
19. Vinay V. Thakur, Suresh Iyer “The Novel Use of Ni, Co, Cu and Mn Heterogeneous Catalysts for the Heck Reaction.” J. Mol. Cat. A Chemical, 2000, 157, 275-278.
1. A. Bhattacharjee, E. M. Duffy, Z. F. Kanyo, S. Chowdhury, V. Thakur, L. Wan, “Antimicrobial compounds and methods of making and using the same,” WO 2016/145417 A1 (2016).
2. G. K. Dewkar, V. V. Thakur, A. Sudalai, S. A. Pardhy, S. Devotta, “Catalytic Process for the Chlorination of Alkanes, Alkenes and Arenes.” US 6,825,383 (2004).
3. G. K. Dewkar, V. V. Thakur, S. A. Pardhy, A. Sudalai, S. Devotta, “Process for conversion of phenol to hydroquinone and quinones.” US 6,872,857 (2005).
4. G. K. Dewkar, V. V. Thakur, S. A. Pardhy, A. Sudalai, S. Devotta, “Catalytic process for region specific chlorination of alkanes.” Indian Pat. Appl. IN 2003DE01177 (2005).
5. G. K. Dewkar, V. V. Thakur, S. A. Pardhy, A. Sudalai, S. Devotta, “Process for the production of hydroquinone and quinones from phenol.” Indian Pat. Appl. IN 2003DE01180 (2005).
- April 26, 2021
During the Connecticut Invention Convention, more than 500 engineers, academics, scientists, entrepreneurs, and legal professionals will judge students' inventions and inspire young minds to pursue science and engineering studies and careers.
- December 10, 2019New Haven, CT
- October 23, 2019The Jackson Laboratory for Genomic Medicine (Farmington, Connecticut)
Cantor Colburn is proud to sponsor The JAX Healthcare Forum presented by The Jackson Laboratory for Genomic Medicine on October 23-24, 2019, at the Jackson Laboratory's Farmington, Connecticut headquarters. The Forum will focus on emerging science and technology that will change the future of healthcare, and innovations in healthcare.
American Chemical Society
American Bar Association
Connecticut Bar Association
Intellectual Property Owners Association (IPO)
- Pharmaceutical & Biotechnology Issues Committee, 2020-2021 term
- U.S. Patent Law Committee, 2020-2021 term
- IP Licensing & Related Issues Committee, 2020-2021 term
- Corporate IP Management & Operations Committee, 2020-2021 term
New Haven Science Fair, Volunteer
Connecticut Science & Engineering Fair, Volunteer