- Due Diligence in IP Acquisitions
- IP Transactional
- Patent Landscaping and Risk Analysis
- Post Grant Practice
- Strategic IP Portfolio Development and Management
- Automotive Technology
- Computer Science & Software
- Electrical Engineering & Electronics
- Internet & E-Commerce
- Mechanical Engineering
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan, 2014
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, 1997
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio, 1993
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 1993
- State of Ohio, 1992
- State of Michigan, 1991
Thomas M. Cooley Law School, J.D., magna cum laude, 1991
Michigan Technological University, B.S., Civil Engineering, 1986
As the managing partner of the metro Detroit office, Scott McBain concentrates his practice on domestic and international IP procurement and IP counseling, transactions and strategies for the protection and enforcement of IP assets. Scott has been an IP attorney for 25 years and has significant experience in licensing and other complex technology transfers, including IP due diligence and supporting the activities surrounding mergers, acquisitions, divestitures and IPOs. As a former attorney at Delphi Corporation, Scott’s experience included managing and supporting the domestic and international IP portfolios of several multi-billion dollar business units in a variety of automotive technologies. Scott started his career in engineering supporting power plants in southern Ohio, West Virginia and eastern Kentucky, designing and implementing their material handling systems.
Partner, Cantor Colburn LLP, Troy, MI, 2008-present
Intellectual Property Counsel, Delphi Corporation, Detroit, MI, 2000-2008
- Division IP Counsel, Energy & Chassis Systems Division, 2000-2003 and 2006-2008
- Division IP Counsel, Product & Service Solutions Division, 2003-2008
- Division IP Counsel, Safety & Interior Systems Division/Electronics & Safety Division 2003-2006
- Managing Corporate Trademark Attorney, 2004-2008
- Division Counsel, Thermal & Interior Systems Division, 2005-2006
- Division Counsel, Safety & Interior Systems Division, 2003-2004
Attorney, Vickers, Daniels and Young, Cleveland, Ohio, 1991-2000
Assistant Engineer, American Electric Power Service Corporation, Columbus, OH, 1986-1988
- August 27, 2018Royal Oak, Michigan
Partners Scott McBain and Paul Rodriguez will attend Clubs & Connections 2018: Automation Alley's Golf Outing at Red Run Golf Club in Royal Oak, Michigan. Cantor Colburn is a long-standing member of Automation Alley, a nonprofit technology and manufacturing business association.
- August 23, 2018Saginaw, Michigan
Cantor Colburn is proud to be a Platinum Sponsor of the 2018 Nexteer Scholarship Golf Outing on August 23, 2018.
- July 20, 2017Mackinac Island, Michigan
Cantor Colburn is pleased to sponsor the ICLE's 43rd Annual Intellectual Property Law Summer Institute for the sixth consecutive year.
- January 13, 2017Detroit, Michigan
Cantor Colburn is pleased to support the Auto Show Charity Preview on January 13, 2017, the proceeds of which directly benefit a wide range of children's charities.
- January 12, 2015Detroit, Michigan
The North American International Auto Show 2015 takes place the week of January 12, 2015, showcasing the next generation of transportation. Cantor Colburn is pleased to support the Auto Show Charity Preview on January 16, the proceeds of which directly benefit a wide range of children's charities.
- July 17, 2014Mackinac Island, Michigan
- July 18, 2013Mackinac Island, Michigan
Cantor Colburn is pleased to once again be a sponsor of the 39th Annual Intellectual Property Law Summer Institute, co-sponsored by the Intellectual Property Law Section of the State Bar of Michigan.
American Intellectual Property Law Association
Intellectual Property Law Section, State Bar of Michigan
Intellectual Property Owners Association
State Bar of Michigan
State Bar of Ohio
Michigan Technological University Alumni Association, Board of Directors
President, Treasure Island Association