- Computer Science & Software
- Food Science
- Medical Devices
- Pharmaceuticals & Pharmaceutical Formulation
- Polymer & Materials Science
- Patent Agent, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 2001
University of Wisconsin, Ph.D., Physical Chemistry, 1982
Bucknell University, B.S., Chemistry, magna cum laude, 1975
Sandra Shaner concentrates her practice primarily in the areas of biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, food science, and material science. She has extensive experience in patent application preparation, domestic and international prosecution, and patent searching. Sandy has prepared and prosecuted patent applications involving pharmaceutical compositions and formulations, medical treatments and diagnostic methods, imaging technologies, biologics, immunotherapy, antibody technology, gene therapy, nucleic acid and amino acid sequences, and pharmacogenomics. She has experience preparing patentability opinions and patent landscape reports, and has also been involved in opinion and due diligence work relating to pharmaceuticals, biologics, and diagnostics.
Senior Patent Agent, Cantor Colburn LLP, 2016-present
Patent Agent, Cantor Colburn LLP, 2004-2015
Senior Patent Agent, Genaissance Pharmaceuticals, Inc., New Haven, CT, 2000-2004
Principal, SLS Consulting, New Haven, CT, 1999-2000
- Consultant in biophysical chemistry, experimental design and analysis, writing and editing
Assistant Professor, Department of Biochemistry, Wayne State University, in Detroit, MI, 1990-1997
Associate Research Scientist, Yale University, New Haven, CT, Department of Human Genetics, 1982-1990
- US 9,623,066 Compositions and Methods to Inhibit Kidney Stone Growth
- US 9,499,843 Method of producing oil from a microorganism
- US 9,469,670 Polypeptide libraries with a predetermined scaffold
- US 9,399,672 Hepatitis C virus neutralizing antibody
- US 9,310, 384 Feline bitter taste receptors and methods
- US 9,279,770 Mid-infrared imaging of microarrays
- US 9,222,076 Process for the production of patches or dressings of autologous skin through cultivation of autologous keratinocytes and fibroblasts with autologous serum for the generation of skin
- US 9,006,148 Methods using a progressive cavity pump bioreactor
- US 8,673,325 Cosmetic compositions comprising EPA and salicylic acid and methods of making and using same
- US 8,415, 396 Colchicine compositions and methods
- US 7,417,138 PNA chip for determining genotypes of mycobacterial species using plastic substrate coated with epoxy group-containing polymer and method of determining genotypes of mycobacterial species using the PNA chip
- US 7,122,566 Metaxalone products, method of manufacture and method of use
- WO2017/004504 Membrane and droplet-interface bilayer systems and methods
- WO2017/096106 Fluorescent Nanodiamonds as Fiducial Markers for Microscopy and Fluorescence Imaging
- September 9, 2017
Cantor Colburn sponsored Team Cantor Colburn at the New England Parkinson’s Ride on September 9, 2017, in Old Orchard Beach, Maine, at which cyclists ride up to 100 miles to raise awareness and funds for Parkinson's research. Team Cantor Colburn raised more than $13,000.
- 3DPrint.comApril 6, 2017
- 3DPrint.comMay 10, 2016
Bill Cass and Sandy Shaner have co-authored the article, "3D Bioprinting of Tissues and Organs: Where Are We?", published on 3DPrint.com on May 10, 2016.
- June 4, 2018Boston, Massachusetts
The 2018 BIO International Convention will take place on June 4-7, 2018, in Boston, Massachusetts. Cantor Colburn attorneys Todd Garabedian, Ph.D., Anne Maxwell, Ph.D., Dmitry Zuev, Ph.D. and Sandy Shaner, Ph.D. will attend the 25th annual event. More than 16,500 life sciences professionals will flock to Boston for the convention.
- April 28, 2018UConn Storrs Campus, Connecticut
Several Cantor Colburn attorneys will be judges at the regional and statewide Connecticut Invention Convention (CIC), competitions, including Eric Baron, who is also a CIC board member, Lynn Stewart, Dennis Jakiela, Ph.D. and Dmitry Zuev, Ph.D. This year's convention will take place on Saturday, April 28, 2018 at UConn's Storrs campus.
- December 12, 2017Alexion, New Haven, Connecticut
Connecticut's bioscience community celebrates the holidays together at CURE's annual holiday party.
- November 14, 2017New Haven, Connecticut
Yale and CURE BioHaven present "Sema4 - Transforming Diagnostic Testing Into An Information Business." Originating from the Mount Sinai Health System in New York City, Sema4 is an interdisciplinary partnership of scientists, doctors, engineers, and genetic counselors. Senior Patent Agent Sandra Shaner, Ph.D. will attend.
- June 13, 2017The CURE Commons, Groton, Connecticut
Connecticut's bioscience community celebrated the start of summer at CURE's annual picnic. CURE (Connecticut United for Research Excellence) is the bioscience cluster of Connecticut, a diverse network of small and large life and health care sciences companies, universities, scientists, educators, students, entrepreneurs, mentors, business experts, and investors. Cantor Colburn is a member of CURE.
- April 25, 2017Anlyan Center, Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut
Cantor Colburn is pleased to sponsor a CURE BioHaven event, "The Biopharmaceutical Industry’s Challenges in Drug Pricing" with Dr. John LaMattina, about drug pricing transparency.
Cantor Colburn is a member of CURE, Connecticut’s bioscience network. Dr. John LaMattina is currently a Senior Partner at PureTech Health, and is the former Senior Vice President of Pfizer Inc. and former President of Pfizer Global Research and Development.
- December 3, 2013New Haven, Connecticut
Connecticut's bioscience community celebrates the holidays together at CURE's annual holiday party. CURE (Connecticut United for Research Excellence) is the bioscience cluster of Connecticut, a diverse network of small and large life and health care sciences companies, universities, scientists, educators, students, entrepreneurs, mentors, business experts, and investors.
American Association for the Advancement of Science
American Chemical Society
Intellectual Property Owners Association (IPO)