- Due Diligence in IP Acquisitions
- IP Transactional
- Strategic IP Portfolio Development and Management
- Trade Secrets
- Trademark and Copyright Practice
- Computer and Systems Engineering
- Computer Science & Software
- Electrical Engineering & Electronics
- Mechanical Engineering
- Semiconductor Devices & Processing Methods
- Recognized as a leader in the field of intellectual property law by Chambers & Partners in 2011, 2012, 2015, and 2016
- Taipei Bar Association, 2006
- Supreme Court of Georgia, 2000
- U.S. District Court, N.D. Georgia, 2000
- Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, 2000
- State Bar of Georgia, 1998
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 1997
University of New Hampshire School of Law, J.D., Intellectual Property, Top 10% of Class, 1998
University of New Hampshire School of Law, Master’s Degree, Intellectual Property Law, Top 10% of Class, 1998
University of Alabama at Birmingham, MBA, 1994
Vanderbilt University, B.E. in Electrical Engineering and Math, 1988
- Adjunct Professor, Soochow University School of Law, 2013-2014
- Adjunct Professor, National Chiao Tung University, 2007-2009
Doug practices across a broad range of intellectual property law and many technical areas, including: electronics, semiconductors, telecommunications, software, medical devices, and mechanical arts. He drafts patent applications and performs patent prosecution for a variety of small, medium, and large clients. This includes U.S. prosecution and coordination of world-wide prosecution.
He has lead complex licensing negotiations between large and medium-sized companies and licensors/licensees. Doug also has experience on IP due diligence in the M&A context. As part of assisting clients on transactional issues, he has negotiated and drafted contracts for web design and hosting services, leasing arrangements, labor services, and other agreements tangential to intellectual property.
Doug has also frequently acted as an outside IP counsel for small to medium-size enterprises, assisting them with a wide-range of intellectual property and other issues that arise in their businesses. He provides strategic intellectual property planning services to clients of all sizes to better protect, mine, and exploit their intellectual property.
Doug has litigated in many Federal district courts and Delaware Chancery Court. He assists clients with challenges faced by third-party intellectual property, including assistance with design-around efforts, as well as rendering infringement and validity opinions on third-party patents. He has been a frequent speaker at legal, industry, and business meetings, and drafter of multiple articles.
Counsel, Cantor Colburn LLP, 2018-present
Partner, Merchant & Gould, 2016-2018
Partner, Jones Day, 2012-2016
Partner, Finnegan, Henderson, Farabow, Garrett & Dunner, LLP, 2007-2012
Associate, Finnegan, Henderson, Farabow, Garrett & Dunner, LLP, 1999-2006
Associate, Troutman Sanders LLP, 1998-1999
Manager, US Steel, 1988-1995
- Represented largest pure-play semiconductor fab in patent preparation and prosecution in front of the USPTO.
- Represented respondent LED companies in USITC action, successfully settling matter.
- Represented respondent power supply chip supplier in USITC action, reaching a satisfactory conclusion of the matter.
- Represented patent licensor in patent action in E.D. Virginia against eleven defendants, successfully obtaining favorable settlements with all defendants.
- Represented Hewlett-Packard against charges of copyright infringement and breach of contract, resulting in a finding of summary judgment in favor of HP on all causes of action.
- Represented Sony, Compaq, Hewlett-Packard, and Gateway in a patent infringement action, resulting in a finding of summary judgment of non-infringement.
- Counseled and assisted major mobile telecommunications company in developing its significant patent portfolio.
- Worked at United States Steel Corporation as manager and engineer, gaining extensive engineering experience in industrial drive systems, instrumentation, software design and industrial programming, and power house operations at a 3 million ton per year integrated steel making facility in Birmingham, Alabama.
- Served as the Resident Managing Partner of Finnegan's Fei Han Foreign Legal Affairs Law Firm office in Taipei, Taiwan, 2007-2011.
- June 1, 2018
Cantor Colburn LLP is proud to announce the hiring of Douglas S. Weinstein in the firm’s Atlanta office. Mr. Weinstein is a patent attorney, working in both prosecution and litigation, with significant experience in Taiwan, where he served as Partner and Taiwan IP Coordinator for four years for a major U.S. intellectual property (IP) firm.
- May 9, 2019Atlanta
The Georgia Intellectual Property Alliance presents the 15th Annual IP Hot Topics Luncheon, "The Future of Autonomous Vehicles & Luxurious Mobility" on May 9, 2019, in Atlanta.
- February 22, 2019Atlanta
Cantor Colburn is pleased to sponsor the Georgia Bar's 7th Annual IP Gala, presented by its IP Section, taking place on Friday, February 22 at the Georgia Aquarium.
- December 6, 2018Atlanta, Georgia
The IP Section of the State Bar of Georgia will meet for its annual IP Holiday Party on December 6, 2018 at the Four Seasons Hotel Atlanta. The IP Section will be collecting donations to the Atlanta Community Food Bank.
- October 22, 2018Atlanta, Georgia
Cantor Colburn, a Premier Sponsor of the Georgia State University College of Law Intellectual Property Program, is pleased to support The Annual Corporate IP Institute®, presented by the university's College of Law and the J. Mack Robinson College of Business, and the Atlanta Bar Association Intellectual Property Law Section. This collaboration is for the educational benefit of corporations interested in maximizing the value of their intellectual property assets. The annual two-day annual event is held at the Georgia State University Student Center, October 22-23, 2018.
Intellectual Property Owners Association (IPO)