- Advertising and Marketing Law
- Due Diligence in IP Acquisitions
- Inter Partes Review
- Internet and Domain Names
- IP Transactional
- Post Grant Practice
- Post-Grant Review
- Right of Publicity
- Strategic IP Portfolio Development and Management
- Trade Secrets
- Trademark and Copyright Litigation
- Trademark and Copyright Practice
- Trademarks and Trade Dress
- Transfers, Mergers, Acquisitions, Bankruptcies and Securitizations
- Unfair Competition and False Advertising
- Unfair Competition and False Advertising Litigation
- Named to Best Lawyers(R) in America, 2016-2020
- WIPR Leader, 2017, 2018, 2019
- Client Choice Award Winner, US, Intellectual Property, Trademarks, Client Choice USA & Canada 2013, 2015
- Internationally Recognized Trademark Attorney, Who's Who Legal - International Who's Who of Trademark Lawyers, 2005 - 2017
- Selected as one of Boston's "Best IP Lawyers," Digin's Top Picks in Boston, Boston Digital Industry News, May 2001
- U.S. Court of Appeals for First Circuit, 2000
- U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts, 2000
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 1989
- U.S. Court of Appeals for Tenth Circuit, 1985
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado, 1984
- State of Colorado, 1983
- Not admitted in Connecticut
- Law Clerk, Hon. Zita L. Weinshienk, U.S. District Court, District of Colorado, Denver, CO
Harvard Law School, J.D., cum laude, 1982
Yale University, B.A., Political Science, summa cum laude, 1978
- Distinction in the Major
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Harvard Business School, Guest Lecturer
- Harvard Law School, Guest Lecturer
- Boston University Law School, Guest Lecturer
- Tufts University Fletcher School for Law and Diplomacy, Guest Lecturer
- Suffolk University Law School, Guest Lecturer
Curt Krechevsky's practice focuses on trademark, unfair competition, copyright, rights of publicity and privacy, Internet, advertising, marketing, promotions, licensing, and trade secrets law. With more than 30 years of law-firm and in-house experience, handling both national and international matters, Curt provides a business-oriented, pragmatic, innovative, and cost-sensitive approach in advising and representing clients of all sizes and types of industries.
Before joining Cantor Colburn, Curt ran his own solo legal practice and prior to that he was a partner at the Boston law firm of Hutchins, Wheeler, & Dittmar, where he was a founding member of the firm’s Intellectual Property (IP) Department and head of the Trademark and Copyright Practice Group. Before joining Hutchins Wheeler, Curt was Assistant General Counsel and Trademark Counsel at Reebok International Ltd., where he was responsible for all trademark and related legal matters involving the company and its subsidiaries worldwide. He also managed and supervised the trademark practice group within Reebok’s Legal Department and dealt with various patent and copyright enforcement matters. Curt started his legal career as an IP attorney and litigator with the Denver law firm of Holland & Hart before moving in-house at Reebok.
Curt has been active in the International Trademark Association (INTA) for many years, and he is a former member of the INTA Board of Directors and the Board’s Executive Committee. He currently serves as Co-Chair of the INTA Presidential Task Force on Brands and Innovation and as a member of the INTA Related Rights Committee and its Right of Publicity subcommittee. Curt has been appointed as the first Chair of INTA’s new Brands and Innovation Committee, effective January 1, 2016. Curt has chaired or co-chaired numerous INTA committees in the past. He is also a former member of the INTA Panel of Neutrals, which acts as mediators for trademark disputes. Curt has published a number of articles on IP law and is a frequent speaker at legal and business conferences and seminars. He has also served as a member of the Board of Directors of the International Anti-Counterfeiting Coalition in Washington, D.C.
Partner and Chair of the Trademark & Copyright Department, Cantor Colburn LLP, 2005-present
Intellectual Property Attorney and Consultant, solo practice, Wellesley, MA, 2002-2005
Partner and Head of Trademark/Copyright Practice Group, Hutchins Wheeler & Dittmar, Boston, MA, 2000-2002
Assistant General Counsel and Trademark Counsel, Reebok International Ltd., Canton, MA, 1988-2000
Associate Attorney, Holland & Hart LLP, Denver, CO, 1984-1988
- IP Law360March 18, 2020
Curt Krechevsky and Ali Caless co-authored the article “TTAB Rulings' Preclusive Effect 5 Years After B&B Hardware,” published in IP Law360 on March 18, 2020.
- WIPRFebruary 10, 2020
- November 1, 2019
U.S. News - Best Lawyers® has ranked Cantor Colburn among the country’s "Best Law Firms" for 2020. Cantor Colburn’s trademark, copyright, and litigation practices were cited, and litigation was cited for both intellectual property and patent litigation. Earlier this year Michael A. Cantor, Philmore H. Colburn II, Michael J. Rye, Curtis Krechevsky and George A. Pelletier, Jr. were recognized as Best Lawyers.
- August 19, 2019
Co-Managing Partners Michael A. Cantor and Philmore H. Colburn II, Partner and Litigation Department Co-Chair Michael J. Rye, Partner and Trademark & Copyright Department Chair Curtis Krechevsky and Trademark and Copyright Of Counsel George A. Pelletier, Jr. have been selected as U.S. News – Best Lawyers® (2020 Edition).
- July 22, 2019
Supreme Court Finds New Protection for Trademark Owners Who Wish to Obtain Immoral or Scandalous Trademarks.
- September 1, 2018
Four of Cantor Colburn’s key partner were selected by their peers for recognition in The Best Lawyers in America (2019 Edition). Co-Managing Partners Michael A. Cantor and Philmore H. Colburn II, Litigation Department Chair Michael J. Rye, and Partner and Trademark & Copyright Department Chair Curtis Krechevsky were recognized for the third consecutive year.
- August 15, 2017
Cantor Colburn is pleased to announce that its Co-Managing Partners Michael A. Cantor and Philmore H. Colburn II, and partners Curtis Krechevsky, who leads the firm’s Trademark & Copyright Department, and Michael J. Rye, who leads the firm’s Litigation Department, were selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2018.
- IPPro The InternetJune 27, 2017
Curt Krechevsky, chair of Cantor Colburn's Trademark & Copyright Department, was featured in the June 27, 2017 issue of IPPro The Internet, discussing his role as Chair of the INTA Brands and Innovation Committee.
- Michael A. Cantor, Philmore H. Colburn II, and Curtis Krechevsky Recognized in the U.S. News – Best Lawyers® 2017August 17, 2016
Cantor Colburn, one of the largest intellectual property (IP) law firms in the country, is pleased to announce that its Co-Managing Partners Michael A. Cantor and Philmore H. Colburn II, and partner Curt Krechevsky, who leads the firm’s Trademark & Copyright Department, were selected by their peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2017.
- May 9, 2016
Michael A. Cantor, Co-Managing Partner of Cantor Colburn LLP, and Curtis Krechevsky, Partner and Chair of the Trademark & Copyright Department at the firm, are recognized as world leading practitioners of trademark law by the 2016 edition of The International Who’s Who of Trademark Lawyers.
- Michael A. Cantor and Curtis Krechevsky Recognized in the U.S. News – Best Lawyers® 2016 Edition of Best Lawyers In AmericaAugust 19, 2015
- China IP MagazineJune 1, 2015
- April 24, 2015
- Law360April 10, 2015
On April 10, 2015, IP Law360 published Curt Krechevsky and Tom Mango's article, "Giving DuPont Its Due: How B&B Hardware Empowers TTAB," on the recent U.S. Supreme Court ruling in B&B Hardware, Inc. v. Hargis Industries, Inc. Krechevsky, a partner, chairs the firm's Trademark & Copyright Department and has more than 30 years' experience in IP law. Mango, who is litigator specializing in Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (“TTAB”) proceedings, is part of the firm's Trademark and Litigation Departments.
- June 6, 2014
Michael A. Cantor, Co-Managing Partner of Cantor Colburn LLP, and Curtis Krechevsky, Partner and Chair of the Trademark & Copyright Department at the firm, are recognized as world leading practitioners of trademark law by the 2014 edition of The International Who’s Who of Trademark Lawyers. The two trademark standouts were named to this distinction by their peers. According to the publication, lawyers who receive this honor “have been selected based upon comprehensive, independent survey work and only specialists who have met independent international research criteria are listed.”
- Curt Krechevsky Appointed to Co-Chair the International Trademark Association’s Brands and Innovation Presidential Task ForceJanuary 9, 2014
Cantor Colburn LLP partner Curt Krechevsky has been appointed by the President of the International Trademark Association (INTA), Mei-lan Stark, to co-chair a new task force on Brands and Innovation. A former member of the INTA Board of Directors, Mr. Krechevsky has also chaired and served on numerous INTA committees in his more than twenty years of Association participation. INTA is a global association of trademark owners and professionals dedicated to supporting trademarks and related intellectual property in order to protect consumers and to promote fair and effective commerce. The mission of the Brands and Innovation Presidential Task Force is to analyze the relationship between trademarks and innovation, including how brands promote innovation and drive the economy, as well as how innovation impacts brands and trademark-related issues.
- October 10, 2013
Cantor Colburn LLP has been recognized by 10 different organizations and publications- which heralded 14 attorneys in particular- for excellence in their work in 2013. The Legal 500 has applauded the firm for its “solid reputation in the market of providing an excellent level of service, and having an excellent value for money.” From accolades for the firm as a whole to specific recognition of Cantor Colburn attorneys in diverse practice areas within the field of intellectual property, the firm has enjoyed an abundance of recognition in 2013.
- Connecticut Law TribuneApril 9, 2012
- Connecticut Law TribuneJuly 29, 2011
- May 17, 2010
- Connecticut Law TribuneSeptember 28, 2009
- IP Law & BusinessApril 1, 2009
- The Gray MarketElectrical Contractor MagazineAugust 2007
- Trademark & Copyright: A New EraGC New England Magazine, Q32007
- November 19, 2019Austin, Texas
The INTA 2019 Leadership Meeting will take place November 19-22, 2019 in Austin, Texas. This annual conference brings together INTA’s volunteer leaders and committee members to advance the Association’s support of trademarks and related intellectual property. Michael Cantor, Phil Colburn, Curt Krechevsky and Michelle Ciotola will be attending the conference.
- October 27, 2019Lima, Peru
Michelle Ciotola and Curt Krechevsky will attend the Annual Meeting of the Asociación Interamericana de la Propiedad Intelectual (“Inter-American Association of Intellectual Property” or “ASIPI”) in Lima, Peru, October 27-30, 2019.
- May 18, 2019Boston, Massachusetts
The 141st annual meeting of the International Trademark Association (INTA) will take place in Boston, Massachusetts from May 18-22, 2018. Nearly 10,000 intellectual property professionals from around the world will attend, including a large delegation from Cantor Colburn.
- March 21, 2019North Carolina A&T State University
Curtis Krechevsky will participate in a panel discussing professional careers in the law at the March 21, 2019 Student Professional Development Conference at North Carolina A&T State University.
- November 6, 2018New Orleans, Louisiana
The INTA 2018 Leadership Meeting will take place November 6-9, 2018 in New Orleans, Louisiana. It brings together INTA volunteer leaders once a year to advance the Association’s objectives and goals.
- May 19, 2018Seattle, Washington
The 140th annual meeting of the International Trademark Association (INTA) will take place in Seattle, Washington from May 19-23, 2018. Nearly 10,000 intellectual property professionals from around the world will attend, including a large delegation from Cantor Colburn.
- March 19, 2018New York City
Curt Krechevsky will attend the INTA (International Trademark Association) Brands and Innovation Conference in New York City on March 19-20, 2018.
- November 7, 2017Washington, D.C.
The 2017 INTA (International Trademark Association) Leadership Meeting, November 7-10, 2017 in Washington, D.C., brings together INTA volunteer leaders once a year to advance the Association’s objectives and goals. It offers them an advanced-level educational program and the opportunity to conduct business and network with colleagues from around the world.
- May 20, 2017Barcelona, Spain
The 139th annual meeting of the International Trademark Association (INTA) took place in Barcelona, Spain from May 20-24, 2017 and was attended by more than 9,500 trademark professionals including a large delegation from Cantor Colburn.
- January 4, 2017Snowmass, Colorado
- November 15, 2016Hollywood, Florida
The 2016 INTA Leadership Meeting, November 15-18 in Hollywood, Florida, brings together INTA volunteer leaders once a year to advance the Association’s objectives and goals. It offers them an advanced-level educational program and the opportunity to conduct business and network with colleagues from around the world.
INTA is a global association of trademark owners and professionals dedicated to supporting trademarks and related intellectual property in order to protect consumers and to promote fair and effective commerce.
- International Trademark Association (INTA) Annual MeetingMay 21, 2016Orlando, Florida
- November 17, 2015Panama City, Panama
The INTA Leadership Meeting brings together INTA volunteer leaders once a year to advance the Association’s objectives and goals.
- May 2, 2015San Diego, California
The 137th annual meeting of the International Trademark Association (INTA) takes place in San Diego, California and will be attended by more than 9,500 trademark professionals including a large delegation from Cantor Colburn.
- March 10, 2015New York City
Partners Curt Krechevsky and Howard Levy will attend INTA's 3D Printing/Additive Manufacturing: Cutting-Edge IP and Business Implications conference in New York City on March 10-22, 2015.
- INTA Leadership Meeting 2014November 11, 2014Phoenix, Arizona
- June 18, 2014Alicante, Spain
- International Trademark Association (INTA) 136th Annual Meeting 2014May 10, 2014Hong Kong, China
- May 4, 2013Dallas, Texas
- Curt Krechevsky, panelist, “No Trademark Owner is an Island," 2013 INTA Annual Meeting, Dallas, Texas, May, 2013
- International Trademark Association (INTA) Annual Meeting 2012May 5, 2012Washington, D.C.
- International Trademark Association (INTA) Annual MeetingMay 14, 2011San Francisco, California
- Trademark Developments in 2009 at the PTO, TTAB, and Federal Circuit2010National CLE on Intellectual Property Law
- The Pit and The Pendulum – Fraud on the USPTO and Ethical Concerns With Federal Brand Protection, presenterDecember 2008Fox Entertainment Group Continuing Legal Education Seminar, Los Angeles, California
- Using Celebrities and Sponsorships to Create Brand Value: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly2008INTA Advanced Trademark Symposium
- Trademarks for Trade Associations and Non-Profit Organizations2008Cantor Colburn Seminar
- Fraud on the USPTO – The Pit and the Pendulum2008INTA Advanced Trademark Symposium
- The U.S. Impact of the Madrid Protocol and European Union Enlargement2004National CLE Conference on Intellectual Property Law
- Playing the Name Game to Win: The Top 25 Tips for Effective Brand Name Selection2004Thomson & Thomson Educational Forum, 2004; The Walt Disney Company Continuing Legal Education Forum, 2005
- Organizing and Managing Your Trademark Portfolio: The Trademark Portfolio as a Revenue Contributor2004INTA Advanced Trademark Symposium
- International Licensing of Intellectual Property: The Licensing of Trademarks and Rights of Publicity2004Suffolk University Law School
- Crisis Management for Brands2004INTA Advanced Trademark Symposium
- Unconventional Trademarks - More Than Meets the Eye2002National CLE Conference on Intellectual Property Law
- Trademarks and Parallel Imports - An UpdateNational CLE Conference on Intellectual Property Law, 2001, and Annual Legal Symposium of the National Alcohol Beverage Control Association, 2001
- Charting the Career Path of the Legal Assistant in the 21st CenturyINTA Trademark Administrators and Paralegal Forum, 1998 and 1999; Massachusetts Paralegal Association, 2001
- The Multinational Approach to Anti-Counterfeiting2000National CLE Conference on Intellectual Property Law
- Searching and Policing Trademark Use on the Internet2000INTA Trademarks in Cyberspace 2000 Forum
- Intellectual Property and Its Importance to E-Business: An Overview2000Protecting Your Company's Value: Registering Your Trademark and Trade Dress, Massachusetts Specialty Foods Association
- The Counterfeiting Conundrum - Anti-Counterfeiting Strategies and Procedures1998INTA Annual Meeting
- Establishing the Essential Ingredients of a Famous Mark1998INTA Forum on Famous Marks
Trademark Registration Update 2012, presenter, National CLE Conference on Intellectual Property Law, January 2013, Aspen, Colorado
American Intellectual Property Law Association
American Bar Association, Sections on Intellectual Property Law, Entertainment and Sports Law
Intellectual Property Owners Association
International Trademark Association:
- Designated firm representative to INTA
- Member of INTA Copyright Committee 2018-2021
- Co-Chair, Copyright Committee Task Force to Respond to U.S. Copyright Office Notification of Inquiry, 2018-2019
- Co-Chair, Copyright Committee Task Force to Respond to Copyright Questions From U.S. House Subcommittee on Intellectual Property, 2019
- Chair of the INTA Brands and Innovation Committee, 2016-2017
- Co-Chair of INTA Presidential Task Force on Brands & Innovation, 2014-2015
- Member of INTA Related Rights Committee, Right of Publicity Subcommittee, 2012-2016
Member of INTA Non-Traditional Trademarks Committee, North America Subcommittee, 2008-2011
- Member of INTA Information Resources Committee and Task Force Chair, 2006-2007
- Member of INTA Programs Board, 2004-2005
- Member of INTA Meetings Board, 2001-2003
- Chairperson for 10 years of various INTA standing committees, including:
- Membership Committee, 1999-2001
- Anti-Counterfeiting and Enforcement Committee, 1997-1999
- Publications Committee / Projects Editorial Board, 1994-1997
- INTA Bulletin Editorial Board, 1992-1994
- Member of INTA Board of Directors and Board Executive Committee, 1998-1999
Boston Patent Law Association
Boston Bar Association, former member
Massachusetts Bar Association, former member
New England Corporate Counsel Association, former member